Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hugo Haas

Fedya

[More than just a foreign Ed Wood|http://www.radio.cz/en/section/czech-history/hugo-haas-more-than-just-a-foreign-ed-wood]

I'm an avid listener of international broadcasters from back in the days when they were all on short-wave, and only on short-wave because there wasn't an internet yet for streaming broadcasting or MP3 downloads. Yesterday, Radio Prague from the Czech Republic re-ran a piece in their "Czechs in History" series they first aired back in 2006 on Czechoslovak born actor and director Hugo Haas, who acted in Prague in the years between the two World Wars, and made low budget movies in Hollywood after fleeing the Nazis.

From the intro to the transcript, at the link above:

> Hugo Haas was one of the stars of Czechoslovak cinema's golden age of the 1930s. This versatile actor and director was hugely popular in the First Republic and he appeared in a number of classic films from that era. Despite his success, however, Haas's life and career - like that of so many other Czechs who lived during this period - was blighted by the tide of history that swept through Czechoslovakia in the 20th century.

Radio Prague also has a [2MB MP3 download|http://old.radio.cz/mp3/podcast/en/czech-history/hugo-haas-more-than-just-a-foreign-ed-wood.mp3] available. I'm not certain how long the MP3 files are available for download.

Frankly, I don't think I'd ever heard of Hugo Haas before this.

As an aside, you can see Haas in *King Solomon's Mines*, which is airing tomorrow morning at 7:15 AM ET.

Edited by: Fedya on Feb 15, 2012 8:20 PM, because this forum's broken software doesn't allow for punctuation marks in the text substitute for hyperlinks

I only knew of his name from one of those Leonard Maltin type movie encyclopedias. His name only became prominent because nearly everything he did was listed with one star or a BOMB. Those were mainly later films. It did seem odd that if they were all that bad he wouldn't have had so many listings.

I've seen a few of those Hugo Haas films and they're actually not bad. Noirish stories of an older man (Haas) who falls for some young blonde (Cleo Moore or Beverly Michaels) and his inevitable path to destruction.

I'm surprised that TCM hasn't picked up the ones he made for Columbia since there seems to be an open door to the Columbia vaults.

His film LIZZIE with Elaenor Parker in a sort of road company version of THREE FACES OF EVE is worth checking out.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings