Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

One of Hollywoods great beauties Gene Tierney

doctorxx

Eugenia, my favorite Gene Tierney movie is also "Leave Her to Heaven". She is so great in this. And I don't remember her ever being so beautiful in a movie as she is in this. When she stands at the top of the stairs just before hurling herself down, there is something about her appearance that makes her look like the most desirable woman in the world! And for pure escapism, I love "The Mating Season." She did not appear in a comedy very often. Perhaps that's why I'm so fond of this.

Terrence.

Hi Terrence - I also enjoyed her in *The Razor's Edge* and she had great chemistry with Tyrone Power (thanks to another poster here, I've been seeing some terrific Tierney and Power movies). But for me "Heaven" edges out the others because of the character she plays. She's pretty fascinating in this.

****SPOILERS****

To sit there coldly and watch a boy drown... Whew. The first time I saw this scene I never forgot it, and after that, I had to cover my eyes, LOL.

Edited by: Eugenia_H on Feb 15, 2012 2:58 PM

*Recently watch DVD of Sundown 1941 and Tierney is startlingly beautiful!*

Gene was one of Hollywood's most stunningly beautiful women EVER (and that's saying something!)! SUNDOWN I believe, is on the schedule in the next couple of days on TCM.

*And for pure escapism, I love "The Mating Season." She did not appear in a comedy very often. Perhaps that's why I'm so fond of this.*

She didn't do many comedies, true, but I too enjoy her in those she made: besides the classics HEAVEN CAN WAIT (1943) and THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR (1947), she did a late screwball with Henry Fonda, Spring Byington and Laird Cregar, RINGS ON HER FINGERS (1942); plus a remake of a screwball with Tyrone Power: THAT WONDERFUL URGE (1948). Another remake, ON THE RIVIERA (1951) was a comedy with music.

They call Julia Roberts the pretty woman of Hollywood.

But I think there were only two real pretty women in Hollywood.

1gene.jpg

*Gene Tierney* is definitely one of them.

And *Anna Sten* who never photographed badly (ever) (even in her later years) was the other one.

1anna.jpg

images4.jpg

My favorite actress of the 40's.

And along with Hedy and Liz Taylor, she's the most beautiful actress ever.

However, unlike Hedy Lamarr, Gene was a really good actress and played in a lot of important movies. I guess I've seen just about everything she was in. She gets played a lot on FMC, but rarely on TCM. Although that seems to be changing recently.

She gets played a lot on FMC, but rarely on TCM. Although that seems to be changing recently.

You are correct, and not for the better.

I could at least count on FMC for a rerun and rerun and rerun of the really good Victor Mature movie (whatever its name was) and The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, sans commercials.

No more. Now FMC is garbage.

I like Tierney a lot because she did play in 4 very good film noirs and a few other movies I like (e.g. The Razor Edge), but she wouldn't be my favorite actress of the 40s (that would be Olivia DeHavilland or Stanwyck). I think her early 40s performances were only OK but she did get better as the decade moved on.

As for being a beauty; No question about that. Right up there with Ava and Hedy. We can only hope TCM gets the rights to show more of Gene's movies. I do have her autobiography. I got a paperback copy at a used book sale for something like 50 cents. Her life story is somewhat sad.

*I could at least count on FMC for a rerun and rerun and rerun of the really good Victor Mature movie (whatever its name was) and The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, sans commercials.*

Would this be THE EGYPTIAN, a mid-50s cinemascope biblical spectacle? They also costar in Sternberg's bizarre, fascinating THE SHANGHAI GESTURE from 1941 (at around the time Gene was getting typecast as an exotic); however, since this was a UA release, it wouldn't have played on FMC.

Kiss of Death stars Coleen Gray but it is a very good Mature film.

Arturo mentions The Shanghai Gesture since it stars both Mature and Tierney. It is a film noir also (a very early one), and as noted an exotic and unique early 40s movie.

Edited by: jamesjazzguitar on Feb 17, 2012 8:09 PM

> {quote:title=doctorxx wrote:}{quote}Recently watch DVD of Sundown 1941 and Tierney is startlingly beautiful! Even with that slight overbite she was a knockout. Most buffs know the story of her pregnancy. She dated Kennedy who knew a pretty woman when he saw them.

Very beautiful face. Seemed to be proportionally a little broad across the beam, though.

I should mention that to me no one ever looked more beautiful in any movie than she does in "Leave Her to Heaven". Which is scary when you consider the character she plays in that film.

That's just my observation. It's an addictive performance. I keep being drawn to that film.

I never thought that the heavenly Miss Tierney ever looked more beautiful than in my favourite film of her's, Laura. Tierney had an overbite when she smiled which, I'm sure, many found rather charming.To me, she is at her most beautiful, though, when her face is in repose.

Laura deals with a lot of upper New York society sophisticates who stand around at social gatherings, smoking a lot and looking worldly. Tierney looks like she was born to be in those kind of surroundings in this film. (Quite a leap from the screen "exotic" roles of just a couple of years before). I've always wondered if that may be the reason why her character smiles so very little in Laura, to avoid that somewhat toothy overbite, making her appear more elegant, especially during those medium shots and closeups while smoking a cigarette (cigarette smoking in posh surroundings, '40s Hollywood's idea of sophistication).

She got her Oscar nomination for Leave Her to Heaven, but I always thought that one of her most effective performances was as (once again) a socialite, but a selfish, manipulative one, in The Razor's Edge. She's remembered more for her beauty than acting ability (as per this thread) but I think her performance holds up very well in the midst of some pretty illustrious company in that Maugham screen adaption.

I never thought that the heavenly Miss Tierney ever looked more beautiful than in my favourite film of her's, Laura.

Same here. In fact I've seen Laura so many times and enjoyed it on so many levels that it's almost impossible for me to think of Gene Tierney in any other role, even though I've seen at least half a dozen of her other movies.

And while Tierney's looks didn't have the staying power of Loretta Young, who stayed slim and glamorous well into her later years, for a decade or so she was right up there with Rita Hayworth, Jane Greer, Katharine Hepburn, Ava Gardner and Brigitte Bardot, and of course the one and only Louise Brooks. Not that there's anything subjective about that list, mind you! ;)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings