Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2012 Road to Hollywood

lzcutter

As Robert O and Ben M get ready to hit the road, TCM has just announced the line-up of films that will be spotlighted around the country (including Canada) in the annual run-up to the Film Festival.

Perhaps coming to a city near you?

To help get you in the mood, TCM is bringing back the Road to Hollywood film series:

Join TCM as we present the Road to Hollywood, bringing the experience of the TCM Classic Film Festival to 10 cities in North America this spring. Each screening will be free to the public and presented by a TCM host and special guest. Here is your chance to watch movies the way that they were meant to be seen, on the big screen!

For details on how to get your free tickets to the 2012 Road to Hollywood tour please visit the official site: www.tcm.com/2012/roadtohollywood/ .

Please note, tickets are only available via the Road to Hollywood website, not through the individual venue box offices.

The 2012 edition of the Road to Hollywood tour includes:

New York City Thursday, March 1, at 7:30 p.m. (ET) The Ziegfeld Theatre

*TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD* (1962) World Theatrical Premiere Screening of 50th Anniversary Restoration hosted by Robert Osborne, with special guest Spike Lee

Tickets available February 15.

Minneapolis Thursday, March 8, at 7:30 p.m. (CT) The Heights Theatre *MARNIE* (1964) Hosted by Leonard Maltin, with special guest Tippi Hedren

Tickets available February 23.

Houston Wednesday, March 14, at 7:30 p.m. (CT) Museum of Fine Arts

*ON THE WATERFRONT* (1954) Hosted by Ben Mankiewicz, with special guest Eva Marie Saint

Tickets available February 29.

Philadelphia Thursday, March 15, at 7:30 p.m. (ET) Prince Music Theater

*NORTH BY NORTHWEST* (1959) Hosted by Ben Mankiewicz, with special guest Eva Marie Saint

Tickets available March 1.

Miami Tuesday, March 20, at 7:30 p.m. (ET) The Gusman Center for the Performing Arts

*ELMER GANTRY* (1960) Hosted by Ben Mankiewicz, with special guest Shirley Jones

Tickets available March 6.

Atlanta Thursday, March 22, at 7:30 p.m. (ET) Richard H. Rich Theatre at Woodruff Arts Center

*SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS* (1954) Hosted by Robert Osborne, with special guest Jane Powell

Tickets available March 8.

Chicago Tuesday, March 27, at 7:30 p.m. (CT) ? Music Box Theatre

*THE BIRDS* (1963) ? Hosted by Ben Mankiewicz, with special guest Tippi Hedren

Tickets available March 13.

Toronto Saturday, March 31, at 7:30 p.m. (ET) TIFF Bell Lightbox

*RIO BRAVO* (1959) Hosted by Ben Mankiewicz, with special guest Angie Dickinson

Tickets available March 16.

Denver Tuesday, April 3, at 7:30 p.m. (MT) The Mayan Theatre

*SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS* (1954) Hosted by Leonard Maltin, with special guest Jane Powell

Tickets available March 20.

Portland, Ore. Thursday, April 5, at 7:30 p.m. (PT) Whitsell Auditorium at the Portland Art Museum

*MARTY* (1955) Hosted by Ben Mankiewicz, with special guest Ernest Borgnine

Tickets available March 22.

You type (or "copy and paste") faster than I do!

How cool that Spike Lee is co-hosting a screening of *To Kill A Mockingbird*.

For those in NewYork that are interested, the free tickets are available for download _now_ at the "Road To Hollywood" website.

http://www.tcm.com/2012/roadtohollywood/

Who wants to give 'misswonderly' that "good news" that Ben is coming to Canada next month? (Is she near Toronto?)

And alert 'kinokima' and 'finance'. The tour finally stops in Philadelphia this year.

Kyle In Hollywood

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 'finance' -

Yes, the free tickets to the Philadelphia screening should become available today - March 1st.

If you can't download them yet, give it a bit more time. Last year, tickets for some cities' screeenings became available later in the day than for other cities. I expect you'll be able to download them before Noon EST.

Kyle In Hollywood

Edited by: hlywdkjk on Mar 1, 2012 6:50 AM

I have not been in here in a few weeks, but something possessed me to check the boards today and lo & behold I find out Road to Hollywood is FINALLY coming to Phila and the ticket are being released today. Bearing no natural disaster I will be there & hopefully I can bring a friend along.

Btw the ticket is just a pic of Cary Grant with the words admit 2 correct? I don't want to miss out because I did something wrong.

Also what other Philadelphians will be there? Hoping there will be a good turn out so TCM sees we have a lot of film lovers here.

> {quote:title=Jezebel38 wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}

> >

> > And alert 'kinokima' and 'finance'. The tour finally stops in Philadelphia this year.

> >

> >

> > Kyle In Hollywood

> >

> Yeah, but they get NBNW :^0

Despite some of the complaints (about over showings) on this board NBNW is an amazing film. I own it on DVD but I can't wait to see it on the big screen.

Also the only other showing I would have wanted to see more is Marty and that is just because they get Ernest Borgnine (who I just adore) but as far as films go you can't beat NBNW :P

And Eva Marie Saint is just one degree of separation from Hitchcock, Grant & Mason (you can't beat that).

lynn or kyle or anybody: Anyone know how many tickets you can order? I mean, if they're free, shirley they don't want people to take advantage of that - you could order a whack of them for a family reunion, or something.

Seriously, is there a limit? I imagine two tickets would be the limit. Words cannot describe how much I want to attend this event ( my "Hollywood Road Show " is in Toronto), and I want to make absolutely sure I do everything right - wouldn't want to mess this up.

I'd like to hear from others who've already ordered their tickets ( for any of these Road Show events that have already occurred): do you get a confirmation email? how many did you order? What happens after you click "order tickets now" ?

Yes, I'm obsessing a little neurotically about this, if I don't get tickets, especially due to some dumb technical mistake on my part, I'll have no choice but to strangle myself with old videotape. :0

MissWonderly -

When the passes become available, you will have to be at a computer with a printer so that you can "print" your "Admit Two" pass. The "page" to print at the "Road To Hollywood" site will pop-up on the computer when accessing the Toronto section there. You will be creating your own pass by printing it out.

I don't know what (or if a) mechanism may in place to prevent persons from printing "dozens" of passes. TCM may just believe that its audience is grown-up enough to be on the honor system in that regard.

I haven't ever printed out a pass to a "Road To Hollywood" event myself. Hopefully someone that has will speak up. But there is no "ordering" involved and TCM won't be confirming your attendance.

I am confident you will be able to figure it all out and won't be making a noose for yourself from old VHS tapes next month

Kyle In Hollywood

• 2 weeks later...

The *Road To Hollywood* Update/Change

The Road To Hollywood event in Toronto has been changed.

On March 31st, TCM will screen *The Last Picture Show* in Toronto with Special Guest Peter Bogdanovich. Ben Mankiewicz will still be the host of the event. Free tickets will be made available on March 16th.

This replaces a screening of *Rio Bravo* with Angie Dickinson.

More info can be found here -

http://www.tcm.com/2012/roadtohollywood/index.html

Kyle In Hollywood

>misswonderly wrote: lynn or kyle or anybody: Anyone know how many tickets you can order? I mean, if they're free, shirley they don't want people to take advantage of that - you could order a whack of them for a family reunion, or something.

*Don't call me Shirley!*

Leslie Neilsen, Airplane! the Movie!

I suppose you could try to get a reunion together at the showing, but what does that say about that family, other than the Baldwin bros?

Or maybe even the Baldwin bros?

Are you bringing more people? Golly, I can't even find another movie lover to come with me. Tuesday is a work night for my friends and I know I won't be home until the wee hours of Wednesday.

Edited by: casablancalover on Mar 12, 2012 9:48 PM

*"My impression is that there is no limit on the number of people who can print out tickets, and no limit on the number of tickets that can be printed out by a person."* - finance

If comments from past years are indicative, TCM does monitor how many times passes are downloaded and, upon reaching a certain level, puts a halt to the availablity of passes.

That threshold is probably determined not just by the size of the theater but also takes into consideration that a certain percentage of passes will go unredeemed. After two previous years of "Road To Hollywood" events, they probably have a good estimation of how many "no-shows" there will be for any of the screenings. "Free tickets" don't always translate to a commitment to attend an event.

The event is publicized as being "Free" and that seating will be non-reserved, "first come, first served". Admission is not guaranteed. With that knowledge, any attendee should plan accordingly.

TCM knows that there are many fans of the channel around the country that can not afford to attend the Classic Film Festival in Hollywood so it brings the Festival to them at no cost. For those folks, to attend a free discussion and screening of a classic film with a TCM host and Special Guest is a rare opportunity that outweighs the "cost" to arrive at the theater early and perhaps stand in a queue before entering. But it is up to the individual if they want to accept TCM's generosity.

Kyle In Hollywood

Edited by: hlywdkjk on Mar 13, 2012 9:53 AM

Edited by: hlywdkjk on Mar 13, 2012 9:58 AM

I believe that the Prince used to be the Milgram. All the other old Center City movie theatres are gone. They've been talking about refurbishing the old Boyd, but nothing yet. The only movie theatres in Center City are now the Roxy (small repertory) and the two Ritz theatres in Society Hill which show more esoteric and foreign films. Anyone in Center City who wants to see current mainstream films has to go to the surrounding neighborhoods. The Prince is just used for special screenings, and is now in bankruptcy. I hope the sheriff doesn't show up during the TCM screening.

Edited by: finance on Mar 13, 2012 4:15 PM

That's all you need! (LOL) While watching NBNW yet. That's too bad about The Prince, I hope it can survive somehow........

Did some checking on Cinema Treasures and it was the Midtown. Used to be roadshow house in the 50s and 60s before they twinned it.........is a lot smaller now.........

Edited by: Hibi on Mar 13, 2012 5:21 PM

There were the Midtown, Milgram, Boyd, Stanley, Stanton, Erlanger, Goldman, and Trans-Lux. I think I've got them all. All gone. This despite the fact the the population of Center City is greater than ever, and mostly upscale.

Edited by: finance on Mar 13, 2012 5:35 PM

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings