Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Name your Neurotic

Guest cooper, jeane

Guest cooper, jeane

You know them - the shifty-eyed guys and gals who twitch while talking tough - but somehow never have the brains to be the real head of the organization. They weasel,squirm and con their ways into your hearts and wallets. And when they get plugged - you feel the loss. No one else can smack gum like them. One of my favorites was Elisha Cook Jr in "The Maltese Falcon" What jittery grifter is your fave?

Probably my favorite neurotic is Lt. Commander Philip Francis Queeg in THE CAINE MUTANY. Do they get any nuttier than him? "I tell you there WAS a duplicate key to the ward room!"

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest olmsted, l

I just went to an audition for Prisoner of 2nd Avenue last night and was remembering Jack Lemmon's unforgettable performance in the Neil Simon adaptation. He was one of the most diverse actors and he played the part of Mel in this one perfectly--Anne Bancroft was no slouch either! When Lemmon loses his job and starts ranting about THEM being after them and to step away from the walls so THEY can't hear, I just laugh hysterically!

Guest cooper, jeane

I had forgotten that wonderful movie. Wonderful - because both of them made you feel their frustration, angst and the realization at the absurdity of the whole situation. Plus, I always felt Bancroft's exhaustion, as she collapsed on the sofa with the two bag of groceries, after walking up all those stairs. Good luck with the part - hope you get it, and then break a leg!

Guest olmsted, l

Thanks Jeane! Actually, I did get a part--one of Mel's sisters. Guess I'll have to wait a few years before I'm old enough to play a middle aged housewife! Oh well. As for Bancroft, I feel sometimes her work is overlooked or forgotten. She is one of the greats who doesn't get enough credit. She's still going strong and adds something special to some of the mediocre films she's in--her performance in Malice (a 90's movie with Nicole Kidman and Alec Baldwin) really stands out for me, as does her eccentric character in the recent adaptation of Great Expectations.

Guest cooper, jeane

Congrats on getting the role. Don't worry - your Middle Ages will sneak up on you fast enough. We should all be so lucky to look as good as Ms.Bancroft. Maybe being married to Mel Brooks has something to do with it. I agree, she doesn't get enough credit. She has always stood out in pictures like "Agnes of God", "The Miracle Worker", "'Night, Mother" (I stage managed that once - powerful piece) and one of my all time favorites - "84 Charing Cross Rd".

Guest finnie12, moira

It's wonderful to see the above appreciation for Anne Bancroft--I think one of my favorite performances of hers is in "Young Winston" as Jenny Jerome Churchill. It's worth seeing just for her reaction in the scene when the doctors tell her that her husband is going to die...a sublime actress, blending the regal with the earthy!

Guest K, Sandy

Hey lolmsted, congrats to you! Is this a local production? I also admire Anne Bancroft for her versatility as an actress. I loved her in 84 CHARING CROSS ROAD, which I saw years ago.

Guest olmsted, l

Thanks Sandy! Yes, it's local--just here in Tucson. I liked 84 as well, and I'll never forget her in Turning Point with Shirley McClaine. I'll never forget that catfight!

Guest K, Sandy

Oooh, I had forgotten about that juicy catfight! Were you the one that mentioned Bancroft's performance in the recent GREAT EXPECTATIONS? I thought that she was an interesting modern Mrs. Havisham in her caftan dancing around to Besame Mucho. Didn't care much for the rest of the adaptation, though. An intriguing idea, to set it in modern-day Florida, but not carried out well. A little more style than substance.

Guest olmsted, l

Yep, I'll never forget Ms. Bancroft's performance in Great Expectations--she really stole the show. After I posted that message about her in that and in Malice, the next day Malice was on TV and I had to watch it for the ten minutes she was on screen. She's so brutle and strong and witty at the same time--she kills me! :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After watching Joan Crawford in "Humoresque" last night I would add her to the list of neurotics. Also in the same film was a born neurotic Oscar Levant.

• 1 year later...

I was browsing through older topics and this one caught my eye. I would have to say that Elizabeth Taylor did an outstanding job of portraying a neurotic in her roll as Susanna Drake in Rain Tree County. The dolls that she always had to have with her....very creepy. And her "freakout" on the grounds of her childhood plantation in front of her husband John Shawnessy (Montgomery Clift). Even the music in that scene was disturbing.

On a funny note, I just called my mom to find out who her favorite neurotic is (she is a classic movie fan and we always talk about what's goin' on in this forum) and I assumed she would pick an actor. She said "Well, I guess that would have to be your aunt P**". Cracked me up....

Well I really don't have an answer to this querie, but after years of occasional, mandatory, and unfortunate rotations through the psych unit (hate those nights!), I can tell ya IMO that Woody Allen simply doesn't seem like a true neurotic. He talks the talk and knows all the symptoms and manifestations, but he's too chatty to be truly believable.

I haven't seen a lot of the films mentioned already, but someone who did seem authentic was Don Knotts in his pre-Barney Fife standup routines. From the clips I've seen of him, he had his "Nervous Man" routine down pat!

LOL STLgal! And for all WE know...that might have been a GOOD day for them. Maybe on thursdays "get the guests" means they actually do them bodily harm!BTW Benny Hill did a brilliant routine playing both Liz And Dick. Liz says "I use Ponds." Dick says "So does a DUCK." SMACK! Vase broken over Dick's head.

Archived