Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Silent schedule

Handdigital

Hello,

I'm new to the site and I was wondering if there is an easy link on the TCM website to show when the silent movies are being shown? They just seem to be lost in the schedule and lumped in with all of the other movie genres. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Joe

Hi Joe,

Don't know about the website--others here who spend more time on it than I can probably help you out--but per the printed Now Playing guide, during non-31-Days-of-Oscar-months silents are shown Sunday nights at midnight Eastern, 9 Pacific. Next month is The Temptress (3/4), The Flying Fleet (3/11), J'Accuse (3/18) and La Roue (3/25).

Craig

Hello Joe -

You came to the right place to get some direction.

This month, with TCM focusing on the Oscars _all_ month (and 2 days of March too), is not a typical month for the channel. The "regular" programming schedule, which includes weekly showings of silent films, is put aside for 31 days.

Most other months of the year, one can count on TCM showing silent films on Sunday nights - usually starting at Midnight EST / 9pm PST. "Silent Sunday Nights" is a recurring franchise for TCM and the website will feature a specific page with articles and other information on the films being shown during the current month. Unfortunately, because it is "Oscar Month", there isn't a current version to show you. But here is the page done for January's films -

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/461250%7C0/Silent-Sunday-Nights-January-2012.html

You can find this page easily by clicking on the "Month Highlights" link in the banner at the top of the page. (Click on "Month Highlights" and not one of the drop down options.) The page that opens up will include a short blurb about "Silent Sunday Nights" and you can use that link to go to the page with the full write-up.

Beyond "Silent Sunday Nights", silent films also appear on the TCM schedule on other days - though more randomly. For example, in March the Murnau film *Sunrise* will be seen on a Saturday night as part of "The Essentials" series and *Beyond The Rocks* is being shown early on March 27th. In April, a set of 8 Laurel and Hardy silent two-reelers is scheduled for the morning of the 23rd.

But all is not lost for February. There is even an upcoming showing of the Oscar winning silent *Two Arabian Nights* still to come this month. It can be seen early Wednesday morning, February 29th.

Here are two "special" links showing the full-month schedules for March and for April. Peruse them closely. I think there are a few other silents in these schedules that I haven't mentioned.

Full March Schedule -

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/March2012.html

Full April Schedule -

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/April2012.html

There is no "all silents this month" listing location on the TCM website so you will have to use the schedules to track them all.

You might also want to keep an eye on the Silent Film Forum in the genre section of the Message Boards, located further down the main "Message Board" page.

I hope this is helpful.

Kyle In Hollywood

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings