Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

JEAN SHEPHERD in every BREATH of "A CHRISTMAS STORY"....PLEEZE????

...DAMMET if that *young-TURKEY*...aka: *Ben Mankewitz*...(who i admittedly seem to have a Love / Hate tendency toward)...Don't ERK the HELL outta me...

...There ARE times that i fall for his charm...but mostly, i'm bristled by his yuppie-ish attitudes...AND overly "TYPICAL" comments that FORCE me into wishing a REPLACEMENT.

...I'm WILLING to overlook the NEPOSTISTIC cicumstances that facilitated his "climb"...

...and POSSIBLY these SPECIFIC comments are *SCRIPTED* and therefore AUTHORED BY SOMEONE ELSE for Ben to *PARROT*...

...but i wish to take ISSUE with one PARTICULAR *promo* for the seasonal Classic; *"A CHRISTMAS STORY" (1983, MGM)*...

-where in by; *BEN* makes the comment that...*"PART of it's POPULARITY is that IT'S SO DAMN POPULAR"*....and just the WHOLE "*WASTED MOMENT"* ...that *COULD BE*...a PROPER "tribute" to a *CLASSIC 20th CENTURY FILM*.

-That *such a* *work of ART* should be *SUBJECTED* to such *DE-EMPHASIS of it's BRILLIANCE*... is *CERTAINLY a SHAME*.

...To *NOT* recognize the adaptation of *JEAN SHEPHERD's* (one of the *GREAT AMERICAN RACONTEURS*) stories into a FILM...so imbued into...AND INDICATIVE of...the AMERICAN IDENTITY...is *UGLY to me*.

...to *NOT* recognize the *PAR EXCELLENCE* *ACTING* by *ALL INVOLVED*....*seems SUPERFICIAL*...when you consider the SPOTLIGHT is *MAINLY* on some DUDE who bought the house on EBAY....and *OPENED IT UP AS A MUSEUM*...(yep, *COMPLETE WITH a GIFT SHOP*.)

...so WE, as the AUDIENCE...are EXPECTED...to FOCUS...on the fact...that some *"AVERAGE JOE"* tuned your *"PRECIOUS MEMORIES" into "PROFIT"*...

...as OPPOSED to...

...ACKNOWLEDGING *JEAN SHEPHERD*...and encouraging us...to seek out MORE INFORMATION about his WORK and LIFE...OR...ACKNOWLEDGING the performances by *DARREN MAMcGAVIN* and *MELINDA DILLON*...or the superb DIRECTION by *BOB CLARK* ???

...*WAY to DUMB us DOWN -T.C.M !!!*

*...DO OVER.*

Angrily DISSAPPONTED,
Jaymuss

Well folks, never thought ya'd see the day that SOMEBODY ELSE could out-do ME with all this "uppercase for emphasis" stuff, DID ya???!!! :^0

(...NOW I'll bet you're hoping jaymuss here doesn't start usin' this hackneyed parenthetical closing line crap of mine TOO here, AIN'T ya?!) ;)

Hmmmmm...well lets see here, james. Other than fairly recently posting my desire for the 1939 Jimmy Stewart version of *Destry Rides Again* to be included in "The Essentials" in only TWO of the MANY threads about "The Essentials" that somebody ELSE has started around here...I really CAN'T say that I HAVE done that!

(...any OTHER questions or requests here, ol' buddy???!!!) ;)

Hey placing the same post in 2 forums isn't so bad. I sometimes do that because I forget which one I'm in! One can find this post in at least 6 (and here on the west coast the day is still young!), including Silent films and Cult films.

Also you were posting about Destry Rides Again, so I can see 2 post, but not again, and again, and again, and,,,,,,

There's something about this I don't understand. Did TCM air *A Christmas Story* recently? I mean, since Christmas time? If so, when? I checked the schedule and did not find it in February ( but I could easily have missed it, I suppose.)

If it was aired in the past week or two, I guess I can understand someone posting about it now. But if it hasn't been shown since December, why is this coming up at this time?

If TCM has aired it this month (February), I'd be more annoyed at them showing a Christmas movie when it's not Christmas time. I only to like to watch seasonal films in their season.

( I also really hate it when people leave up their Christmas lights and decorations well into February. And some people even still turn them on ! Hey, Christmas is over, folks ! )

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

>

> ( I also really hate it when people leave up their Christmas lights and decorations well into February. And some people even still turn them on ! Hey, Christmas is over, folks ! )

>

Yep, I agree with ya here, MissW. BUT, I've always just assumed that it's just a little something they've carried over in their lives since moving out of that "double-wide" they used to live in and into their house!

(...yeah, I know that sounded snobbish, but you KNOW it could be true!)

And now to get to jaymuss' point here...

I also think it would be nice for Ben and/or Bob to maybe have a little more time before and after the films are shown, so that the information imparted could encompass many other aspects of these films.

Edited by: Dargo on Feb 19, 2012 12:03 PM

> There's someting about this I don't understand. Did TCM air A Christmas Story recently?

Not that I can find. What's even stranger is that TCM has not aired *Christmas Story* since *December 2010*.

The perennial holiday favorite was not part of the December schedule this past year.

Perhaps the poster is channeling his inner JonnyG to take a run at Ben M.

I remember listening to Shepherd's radio program when I was a mere lad.

Of course WTBS runs the movie for 24 hours around Christmas time, but

with commercials and probably some cuts. It has become a Christmas

classic. I wouldn't call it a great movie, but it's a good one.