Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which H. Bogart film was this . . .?

AllDayTVWatcher

Bogie was driving a 1938 Plymouth coupe in *High Sierra* (although in a few early scenes in the film they used a 37 Plymouth, which looks very similar). And Bogie uses a similar Plymouth when playing Marlowe in *The Big Sleep* . *High Sierra* is my favorite Bogart film and that final chase scene was quite impressive filming for its day. I wonder if the museum car is the actual car from the movie, or a reasonable representation? I do want to get to Lone Pine someday, lots of movie history around there.

In the early 1970's there was a show called "Banyon" about a private eye in the 1930's Hollywood. He was played by Robert Forster and sadly only last for half a season. It was a well done show co starring the great Joan Blondell. But if I remember correctly they promoted the fact that "Banyon" drove the same car Bogart used in "The Big Sleep".....

> {quote:title=mrroberts wrote:}{quote}How many people know that "Pard" was played by Bogart's own dog, named Zero? Funny, Bogie's pooch got in the film, but not his wife Mayo Methot.

Well, YEAH Mr.R., THAT'S 'cause Raoul Walsh from the very beginning was supposedly "hot" for the "dog" bein' in the picture, but he wanted Bogie to "Hold the May...........

(...NO!!! I CAN'T finish that!!!...THIS is even beneath ME!!!...but thanks for the set-up here anyway, Mr.R) ;)

Yep finance. I guess some people never learn that it isn't very nice pickin' on people smaller in stature than themselves, huh!

(...which, I suppose, makes it a very good thing for a certain movie star today that Mimi Rodgers, Nicole Kidman AND Katie Holmes have aways seemed so pleasant!)

They were known as "The Battling Bogarts" and he called her "Sluggy", that's what he named his boat also.She put a knife or scissor in his shoulder once. At a Hollywood party she showed Gloria Stuart a hand gun threatened to shoot him.

But there is also speculation that she lit a fire under him and during their 7 year marriage of boozing and fights he did some of his best work from "High Sierra" to "The Maltese Falcon" to "Casablanca" to "To Have and Have Not"and became the movie star we know today. Was she responsible in a way for his move from supporting to leading man? Who knows, but this happened during their marriage. When he heard of her death in 1951 { the booze finally caught up with her } Bogart who was on location shooting "The African Queen" remarked "What a Waste".....

Based on what I read Bogart really went out of his way to help her and try to make the marriage work. He meet her while making the movie Marked Women, which they were both in along with Bette Davis (the Davis return from exile in England movie). He did do some of his best work while married to her. Maybe it was because his home life just wasn't that fun.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings