Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Upcoming TCM Guest Programmers

hlywdkjk

Hey all you People Magazine readers.

TCM has announced the Guest Programmers that will be sitting across from Robert Osborne each month through October.

If you think you "know" these folks, want to venture some guesses on what films they selected?

== EDIT==

Here's the list of GPs followed by a list of seven films that will be shown - one from each Gust Programmer's list.

Let's see if one can match the film with the GP.

_March_ - *Jules Feiffer* - playwrite and cartoonist

(OK, all you "Now Playing" subscribers know the answers to this one.)

_April_ - *Anthony Bourdain* - author and chef

_May_ - *Debra Winger* - actress

_June_ - *Ellen Barkin* - actress

_July_ - *Spike Lee* - filmmaker

_September_ - *Regis Philbin* - television icon

_October_ - *Jim Leher* - journalist and news host

_Film Selections_

1) - *The Searchers*

2) - *My Fair Lady*

3) - *Fat City*

4) - *Rififi*

5) - *Golddiggers Of 1933*

6) - *Somebody Up There Likes Me*

7) - *Ace In The Hole*

Match up the seven names with seven films and I'll let you know how many you have correct.

Have Fun!

Kyle In Hollywood

Edited by: hlywdkjk on Feb 23, 2012 7:10 PM

Chief,

I'm hoping that one of Spike Lee's choices as Guest Programmer is *To Kill a Mockingbird*.

He and Robert O are talking about the film in NYC as part of the *Road to Hollywood*, the annual festival that is the run-up to the festival in Hollywood.

It would be great to see that conversation on the air as part of Lee's selections as Guest Programmer.

Hmmm, this is an interesting exercise. I bet I get them all wrong (except for Feiffer)

1) - *The Searchers* - Regis Philbin

2) - *My Fair Lady -* Debra Winger

3) - *Fat City* - Spike Lee

4) - *Rififi -* Anthony Bourdain

5) - *Golddiggers Of 1933 -* Jules Feiffer

6) - *Somebody Up There Likes Me -* Ellen Barkin

7) - *Ace In The Hole* - Jim Leher

Spike Lee - It's definitely Ace in the Hole (he's on the Criterion DVD.)

Jules Feiffer - I could see Gold Diggers fitting this one.

Regis Philbin - Somebody Up There Likes Me (can't you just imagine the way Regis would say that?)

Anthony Bourdain - Rififi

Jim Lehrer - Fat City

Ellen Barkin - The Searchers

Debra Winger - My Fair Lady

*"Hmmm, this is an interesting exercise. I bet I get them all wrong (except for Feiffer)"* - filmlover

And you're 100% right... that you got all the others wrong.

Jules Feiffer is introducing *Golddiggers of 1933* next month.

Kyle In Hollywood

JonasEB wrote -

*Spike Lee - It's definitely Ace in the Hole (he's on the Criterion DVD.)*

Correct! (I didn't know he did commentary on a DVD.)

*Jules Feiffer - I could see Gold Diggers fitting this one.*

Correct!

*Regis Philbin - Somebody Up There Likes Me (can't you just imagine the way Regis would say that?)*

Correct! Good one.

But all the others are mis-placed.

Nice job so far, 'JonasEB'.

Kyle In Hollywood

*"I'm hoping that one of Spike Lee's choices as Guest Programmer is "To Kill a Mockingbird."* - lzcutter

Unfortunately, *To Kill A Mockingbird* is not one of Spike Lee's four selections for his GP stint. That's too bad as I'd love to see/hear that upcoming conversation in NYC too.

But I think it is great that he going to be on TCM.

Kyle In Hollywood

Since Deborah Winger hung around Bob Kerrey, and since Bob Kerrey is a very bright man, my guess is that she was the one who picked the best film of the lot: Rififi

And that's all I got. Hard to imagine that any of those others except maybe Spike Lee would go beyond the tried and true.

*"Since Deborah Winger hung around Bob Kerrey, and since Bob Kerrey is a very bright man, my guess is that she was the one who picked the best film of the lot: Rififi"* - AndyM108

Wow. While I wouldn't say that deductive reasoning is worthy of Sherlock Holmes, it certainly is an interesting path to take. Are you sure that international traveller / eater Anthony Bourdain wouldn't pick an interesting Italian film?

No matter. You're correct. Debra Winger has selected *Rififi* as one of her GP film titles.

So far the correct match-ups are -

Jules Fieffer - *Golddiggers of 1933*

Spike Lee - *Ace In The Hole*

Regis Philbin - *Somebody Up There Likes Me*

Debra Winger - *Rififi*

That leaves Guest Programmers

Anthony Bourdain

Ellen Barkin

Jim Lerher

and the films

*My Fair Lady*

*Fat City* and

*The Searchers*

Anyone?

Thanks to everyone that has joined in so far.

Kyle In Hollywood

*"I would guess from what little I know of him that Anthony Bourdain would choose "The Searchers".* - SansFin

Very good. You're correct. Anthony Bourdain is introducing *The Searchers* in April.

Anyone still interested in matching up the remaining titles with the GP that chose them?

We've got *Fat City* and *My Fair Lady* and Jim Lerher and Ellen Barkin.

Kyle In Hollywood

The New York Times had some folks fill out an Oscar ballot and do a Q&A for the website, including upcoming Guest Programmer Anthony Bourdain.

If his Oscar ballot is any indication, it looks like we'll get a very opinionated Anthony Bourdain when he sits across from Robert Osborne in April. But it appears he has the background to back-up his opinions -

?I?d seen the entire Janus Film collection by the time I was 10 or 11. Fran?ois Truffaut was a hero in my house.?

One can read the rest here -

http://carpetbagger.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/03/my-oscar-picks-anthony-bourdain/

Kyle In Hollywood

ps - Ellen Barkin has chosen *Fat City* and Jim Lerher is introducing *My Fair Lady* during their GP evenings.

I'm a fan of Bourdain's TV shows. He is very opinionated, and cultivates a 'bad boy' image. He often incorporates cinematic references into his travel/food shows. When he did a show in San Francisco, he drove the same model car McQueen did in *Bullet*, on some of the same streets, and did a V/O alluding to the film. He did a *Third Man* theme in Vienna, even going in the sewers! I look forward to seeing him.

Edited by: ValentineXavier on Feb 25, 2012 9:51 PM

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings