Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I hate to be "That Person"

...I'm right there with you. There were far more announcements and updates for last years festival. It helped keep the excitment and momentum going. I hate to think that they are struggling to add films or special guests to the line-up-but I have faith in TCM. I'm sure it will be worth the wait-but I wish they'd hurry it up ;)

I know it seems like details for the 2012 Classic Film Festival have been slowly (too slowly?) announced this year. But it is still eight weeks away and, compared to the timing of the announcements sent for 2011 Film Festival, what we know so far is pretty much equal to what we knew last year at this time.

There was a BIG update email sent on March 3rd of last year. We learned about Warren Beatty, Richard Roundtree, the "Happy Trails" film series and "To Kill A Mockingbird" with Mary Badham, among many other events and special guests.

But two months out in 2011, we still didn't know about Peter O'Toole, Angela Lansbury or Kirk Douglas. The "Club TCM" schedule hadn't been released yet nor did we know Elvis was being screened poolside.

In previous years, the updates and announcements picked up pace as the "four weeks away" mark approached. I expect that between today and the middle of March, TCM will once again "overwhelm" the 2012 festival-goers just like it did last year.

And then everyone can repeat "David In Seattle"s observation of 2011 -

"It's official. Everybody gets to miss something they really, really wanted to see! All this and only four days."

Kyle In Hollywood

Just for comparison's sake, here's what we could expect from the Telluride and Sundance festivals, respectively ...

{font:Times New Roman}The {font}[{font:Times New Roman}Telluride{font}|http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/764353/Telluride|Telluride]{font:Times New Roman} Film Festival was first held in 1974, at the Sheridan Opera House. Eventually other venues, including outdoor locations, were added. The festival is known for showcasing a wide variety of new feature films, student films, shorts, and forgotten classic and {font}[{font:Times New Roman}silent films{font}|http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/544070/silent-movie|silent films]{font:Times New Roman}. (Unlike most film festivals, Telluride does not announce its full schedule until the event has begun.) It typically screens about 20 feature-length movies and has an average attendance ... {font}

{font:Times New Roman}Read more: http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/1699379/Telluride-Film-Festival{font}

{font:}And this year at Sundance, according to festival founder Robert Redford:

"We show stories of what people in America are really dealing with, and really living with, against a consequence of having a government that’s let them down," Redford said. "People can come and say, ‘God, at least we’re seeing how people are really living in America, and what they’re up against.’ We square away on the 99 percent."{font}

{font:}But the scene in Park City, Utah, where Sundance is held, would seem to run counter to Redford's characterization, with big corporations sponsoring virtually every event and venue, and super rich celebrities racing each other to scoop up corporate sponsor freebies.{font}

{font:}Read more: [http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/01/24/robert-redford-says-sundance-corporate-sponsored-playground-for-celebrities-is/?intcmp=features#ixzz1nRUgwZcz|http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/01/24/robert-redford-says-sundance-corporate-sponsored-playground-for-celebrities-is/?intcmp=features#ixzz1nRUgwZcz]{font}

I don't think either of these will be an issue with TCM !

CinecrazyDC

@ kyle

But that update came on March third when the fest was at the end of April-the fest this year is two weeks earlier....shouldn't we have had a "BIG" update by now?

Maybe I'm just so excited that the update time frame seems longer!

*"But that update came on March third when the fest was at the end of April-the fest this year is two weeks earlier....shouldn't we have had a "BIG" update by now?"* - Emberly

I hear ya. When I wrote my post, I kinda lost track of how close to the end of February it was already.

Purely speculating on my part, I see the update announcements serving two purposes. First, to tell confirmed attendees about events and special guests that have been confirmed for the Classic Film Festival.

Along with that, the updates also could be seen as a promotional push for the Film Festival with the intent to sell additional passes. But this year, the "all-access" pass levels are already sold out. "Matinee Passes" are the only level still being sold. (Last I checked, one can go on a waiting list for "Classic Passes".)

TCM is in the awkward, but enviable, postion of the Film Festival being nearly sold out six weeks before it starts. I think last year that didn't happen until the Film Festival was two-weeks away. When the "Big Announcememt" came last year, one could still buy a "Classic Pass" and plan to attend all the events included in that update. This year, that won't be the case.

In year's past, the updates were accompanied with new promos on the channel and exortations to buy a pass. A delay of updates could just be a decision to not appear to be promoting the Festival to viewers who may not be able to attend the events being announced because the "all-access" passes are no longer available.

I am sure TCM is sensitive to that reality and doesn't want to be accused of selling something that it can't "deliver" to anyone buying a pass this week. I know I would be.

But like I said, I am only speculalting here. We could get a "Big Announcement" today or tomorrow. I'd like to see one.

Kyle In Hollywood

I, for one, don't want to know all the surprises ahead of time. I like to show up and be stunned to see something added to the screening I wasn't anticipating. I can understand some do want to be able to plan every film they intend to see (and with so many theaters, one does have to work it out like clockwork at times) before they fly out, but there is great joy in finding out a film is going to be shown or someone is going to attend that you didn't know about. One thing I really like doing each year is sitting down with friends in the Roosevelt lobby, or hanging out at the nearby In 'n Out, with each of us going through the program book's events and discussing with the others what films we plan to see.

Plus, the bane of festival programming is that much as a star can guarantee they will show up, they may change their mind and cancel, or have something else they need to do, or be kept away by Mother Nature (Luise Rainer barely got the last plane out from England when Iceland's volcanic ash was causing air flight nightmares). You don't want to come all the way especially for a certain star and then get here and find they won't be there. Or sometimes a film disributor can't deliver as promised.

Each year, the Festival goes through changes and additions right up until the last film is shown on the Sunday night. And each year, people leave on Monday morning very happy.