Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So what is the most frequently shown movie on TCM?

slaytonf

Mr. Smith. Again. I was surprised nobody started a thread complaining about seeing this one again, as there have been for Gaslight, and North By Northwest (by-the-way, did anyone know that there is no real compass direction like that?). Here are some candidates:

Casablanca

North By Northwest

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

Mildred Pierce

Some Like it Hot

Ben Hur

Lawrence of Arabia

The Maltese Falcon

Gone With the Wind

Any others?

That's quite an impressive list. Imagine how many times they'd be shown if HBO or Showtime or Starz owned the rights. I have to agree they are shown quite a bit, and what makes it seem more than it actually is, is the fact that everyone probably already owns their own copy of those movies. I know I would prefer seeing other movies in TCM's vault, but to be honest, I could never get bored watching any of those movies. You might want to add:

"Yankee Doodle Dandy" and "Seven Days In May" to that list.

I remember many years ago complaining about how many times 'Citizen Cane' and 'Rebel Without A Cause' and 'High Noon' were shown and the next thing I knew is they stopped showing them so often, but now it seems 'Rebel Without A Cause' is making its comeback.

Mr. Smith. Again.

I'm getting so sick of seeing this tired old chestnut every other month that I'm almost rooting for Claude Rains to shoot Jimmy Stewart instead of himself. It's not the movie itself that's so annoying, it's the way that seemingly every other film between 1940 and 1945 got introduced with The Star Spangled Banner , Columbia the Gem of the Ocean , America The Beautiful , La Marseillaise , the Volga Boat Song , Beethoven's 5th Symphony , or Take Me Out to the Ball Game . It's as if those were the only songs in the entire musical repertory.

In all honesty, I think we notice the movies we don't like that much more than the ones we do. The Killers has been on about 3 or 4 times in the past year, but who's complaining? I could watch William Conrad and Charles McGraw bait "Bright Boy" about a hundred more times before getting tired of it, not to mention Ava Gardner screaming *"KITTY IS INNOCENT!"* and Edmond O'Brien being told by his boss not to come back to the office until Monday..

OTOH when Splendor in the Grass or Mr. Smith Goes to Washington or any one of a hundred Bible epics or costume dramas show up for their daily appearances, it makes me glad that March Madness and the baseball season are just around the corner. It's sometimes nice not to know the ending by the end of the first five minutes.

Agree with the original list. Out of all of themm frankly, if I never see 'The Cain Mutiny' & 'Ben Hur' again ever in this lifetime I'd be more than happy. I wrote in another thread some many, many moons ago about the constant showing of 'Ben Hur' so it's not a new thing. TCM seems to like it regardless of what we say.

The flip side of this question is what movies were in the original TCM library that haven't been shown in at least five years? I'd like to know when any of the following last played:

Jazz Heaven (1929)

Side Street (1929)

Half Marriage (1929)

Golden Dawn (1930)

Show of Shows (1929)

It's a Great Life (1929)

Lights of New York (1928) - first all talking feature film

Madame Satan (1930)

Alias French Gertie (1930)

Broadway Babies (1929)

Sunny (1930)

Anything starring Al Jolson other than The Jazz Singer

I do know they showed Big Boy last spring but there is still:

The Singing Fool (1928)

Say It With Songs (1929)

Wonder Bar (1934 - last aired June 2007)

Go Into Your Dance (1935)

The Singing Kid (1936)

If anyone has old schedules lying around, please let me know this information.

> {quote:title=slaytonf wrote:}{quote}

> I was actually hoping someone knew of a way of searching past schedules to identify which movie has been shown the most. I'm still hoping.

I could assemble a .txt file of movies shown. It will mean opening a database for a month, selecting the fields, copying them and then pasting that into a .txt file.

Will that help you?

How far back do you believe would be meaningful?

That's a generous offer, or rather I don't know how generous an offer it is, because I have no idea how much trouble it is to do what you propose. If you are up for it, I would say no less than a year. Of course, I imagine you will get different answers depending on when you sample and for how long you sample. For example, you could sample from 2008 to 2010. Or you could do the past five years (2006-2011). They would all probably yield different results.

> That's a generous offer, or rather I don't know how generous an offer it is, because I have no idea how much trouble it is to do what you propose. If you are up for it, I would say no less than a year.

It is a terrible amount of work. It is fortunate that most of the most bothersome bits have to be done in order to update our main database and that update should have been done months ago.

I have started it. It will be for all of 2011. I will likely be finished when you read this post. The next bothersome bit is how to send you the file. I estimate it will be between 3,000 and 4,000 lines and 100KB to 150KB in size. I doubt PM is appropriate for such size. I hesitate to send it as an attachment to an e-mail for many reasons. I will have to ask my esso about the options.

*It's a Great Life*, starring the Duncan Sisters and Lawrence Gray is a nifty early musical with 2 Technicolor sequences. It's also now offered by Warners Archive Collection.

> {quote:title=drednm wrote:}{quote}*It's a Great Life*, starring the Duncan Sisters and Lawrence Gray is a nifty early musical with 2 Technicolor sequences. It's also now offered by Warners Archive Collection.

The problem with going to the Warner Archive for the rare stuff is this:

Although the transfers are generally good the authoring is haphazard. I am yet to get a multidisc set that I did not have to return because at least one disc freezes, pixelates, etc.

I have gotten three copies of Madame Satan and I am yet to get a copy that plays properly.

Because they are DVD-Rs they will not last forever even if properly stored. Warner's DRM makes it impossible to make a back-up copy without breaking the law, and that back-up copy will be needed when that DVD-R does go bad.

At their high prices I am through dealing with the Warner Archive until they fix the problems I have mentioned.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}HALLELUYAH, I'M A BUM, starring Al Jolson, has been shown on TCM a few times in the past several years.

True, but I was focusing on what is in the original TCM film library that no doubt TCM has easy access to. Jolson's last film for Warners was made in 1936, and yet I can't remember the last time it was played.

> Gulp! Wh-wh-what am I supposed to do with that?

It came to more than 4,800 lines which is one movie title per line and it is 120KB.

It will require either manual deletion of single airings or use of a spreadsheet or database program to count duplicated entries.

> As for transferring it. Is there any way to set it up as a download? I'm sure I download programs as big as that just for software updates. Or do I not know what I'm typing about?

Please send me a PM if you wish to download it.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings