Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The House on Telegraph Hill

DuryeaForHollywood

Is anybody else watching this right now?

More than a few touches lifted from Hitchcock (orange juice stead of milk!) but this is a real gem. Suspense so thick it's almost palpable, and Richard Basehart is abolutely mesmerizing.

Robert Wise's direction is atospheric, and extremely suspenseful. He'd obviously learned a lot from his director apprenticeship from Val Lewton.

Ten out of 10 from me, for an absolute sleeper. Thanks for bringing this one to us, programmers!

It has aired on FMC in the past and is available thru Netflix which is where I had first seen it a year ago.

The cable guide gives it only two stars.

It works because former-real life marrieds Basehart and Cortese have an intriguing chemistry.

I think it should've aired on TCM primetime, and I would present it as part of a double-feature with Preminger's WHIRLPOOL, made at Fox around the same time. They both have the same haunting atmosphere and noir deliciousness.

For those that are interested, check out the Criterion restored version of THIEVES HIGHWAY, the other film Cortese made at Fox as part of her multi-picture contract.

*For those that are interested, check out the Criterion restored version of THIEVES HIGHWAY, the other film Cortese made at Fox as part of her multi-picture contract.*

THIEVES' HIGHWAY is a gritty truck-driver drama from the same writer as THEY DRIVE BY NIGHT. The sexual chemistry between Cortese's Ric©a and Richard Conte's character is palpably hot. Who knew a film about apple harvesting could be so taut.

Edited by: Arturo on Feb 27, 2012 8:39 PM

THIEVES' HIGHWAY is a gritty truck-driver drama from the same writer as THEY DRIVE BY NIGHT. The sexual chemistry between Cortese's Ric©a and Richard Conte's character is palpably hot. Who knew a film about apple harvesting could be so taut.

AFAIC Thieves' Highway is the best Hollywood noir never shown on TCM, and even the Fox Movie Channel hasn't shown it in nearly two years. It's not only the Conte-Cortese chemistry that makes it so great ( and she's just as good here as in The House on Telegraph Hill ), it's the masterful performance of Lee J. Cobb as the thuggish fruit mobster. Conte never made the top rank of leading men, but at his best he's always pitch-perfect for his usual everyman or everyhood or everytraitor roles. I only wish that most of his best movies weren't tied up with Fox.

*I think it should've aired on TCM primetime, and I would present it as part of a double-feature with Preminger's WHIRLPOOL, made at Fox around the same time. They both have the same haunting atmosphere and noir deliciousness.*

Both HOUSE ON TELEGRAPH HILL and WHIRLPOOL are part of the Fox Film Noir series of DVD releases, sadly discontinued a couple of years back (that is, they are not putting out any more new releases-I see new copies of the various movies of the series in retail outlets).

Edited by: Arturo on Feb 28, 2012 2:14 PM

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings