Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
BunnyR

YOU are guest programmer which 4 films would you pick

Ms.Cutter,

While do not despute you, if it has been on TCM it has been ages. And I am wondering why oh why did I not record it? I do have an old VHS I taped off AMC from waaaaay back in the early 90's. Would love to see a nice, clear print of it again. Thx for the info.

1. The Way We Were (1973)

2. Portrait of Jennie (1948)

3. I Love You, Alice B. Toklas (1968)

4. Born to Kill (1947)

Four that I feel like watching again soon, and an interesting mix, I hope.

My choices and the Directors:

1. It Happened One Night (1934) Frank Capra

2. Au Revoir les Enfants (1987) Louis Malle

3. To Kill A Mockingbird (1962) Robert Mulligan

4. Day For Night (1973) Francois Truffaut

There was a 1930 version of "Holiday" with Ann Harding in the role Hepburn played on stage (and in film eight years later). This version gets overlooked, but is also very good -- only now is Harding being realized as one of the fine actresses of her era.

Pressure Point

I Want To Live

The Last Picture Show

Silent Partner

Although it's mighty hard to single out just four!

Sepiatone

Man who could work miracles Roland Young Swiss Family Robinson Edna Best Spawn of the North Cooper/Raft Souls at Sea Cooper/Dee Forest Rangers MacMurray/Goddard/Hayward None of these have been shown on TCM in the past decade!.

*Christmas Holiday* 1944, a virtually never seen noir

*Johnny Nobody* 1961, a British neo-noir, with a religious twist

*O, Lucky Man* 1973 Starring Malcolm McDowell and Helen Mirren - a strange, surrealistic social commentary, with a continuous score by Alan Price of The Animals. one of my all-time favorite films.

*Hana-Bi* aka *Fireworks* 1997, a Japanese neo-noir, staring, written, and directed by Takeshi Kitano. A bloody gangster film, but with a heart, a soul, and a moral compass. Currently OOP on DVD.

I might also consider:

ACE IN THE HOLE

THE SEVEN FACES OF DR. LAO

DOA

VIOLENT SATURDAY

On the lighter side:

ENTER LAUGHING

PAPER MOON

THE BELLBOY

WASHINGTON SLEPT HERE

Sepiatone

Funny thing, but I like almost all of these lists more than than those that have been put together by the actual guest programmers! An idea for a mini-festival of French noirs. Now that does sound like a great way to spend the night!

Here are my four:

The Blue Angel (Josef Von Sternberg, 1930) The first foreign film I ever saw, and still one of my all time favorites. The Dietrich mystique is born and star Emil Jannings is magnificent in perhaps his best-remembered role. I saw this on the televison when I was in junior high school. A muddy print, with illegible subtites, and I realized within a few minutes that with really great movies, you donp't need to understand the language being spoken. Timeless images and performances travel across the language barrier with ease.

Yankee Doodle Dandy (Michael Curtiz 1942) Because it's my favorite film. Tour-de-force performance by Cagney. Expert direction by Michael Curtiz, and every shot created by James Wong Howe is a jewel of perfection. There are separate insert shots in the "Give My Regards To Broadway" number that still make me tear up after 30-plus viewings because they are simply perfect. And I love the music.

Intolerance (D.W. Griffith,1916) Because it's the greatest film ever made, Period. Griffith gets such a bad rap today, because there are aspects to his films which are undeniably dubious from a racial point of view. This needs to be acknowledged, as does the fact that the track of his intellectual development as a film maker from 1911 (about the time of "The Lonedale Operator") to 1916 (with "Judith of Bethulia" and "Birth of a Nation" as stops along the way )was staggeringly rapid, and has never been approximated by any subsequent director. The film fugue structure of Intolerance remains stunning today, and Griffith pulled it all together nearly a hundred years ago without even having recourse to a written script! Who knows how far Griffith's art might have developed had the commerical failure of Intolerance not cased him to become increasingly reactionary in terms of directoral technique.

The Half-Naked Truth (Gregory La Cava, 1932) Lee Tracy, Lupe Velez and Frank Morgan all shine in this hilarious and unbelievably risque pre-code gem. Watch out for Eugene Pallette as 'the Eunich!' Tracy and LaCava were both comic geniuses, sadly underknown today, and the fusion of their talents in this film makes for a rollicking and delightful 72 minutes. This film is a must.

And I would have a back-up choice if one of these proved unavailable. I would choose Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange (1971). Controversial, to be sure, and not quite his best film (I would rank, of his output, only 2001 and Barry Lyndon more highly), but it is visually fascinating and thematically provocative, and features an absolutely brilliant performance from Malcolm McDowell. What nerve it must have taken for him to play some of the scenes in this seminal sci-fi classic.

Edited by: DuryeaForHollywood on Feb 25, 2012 11:25 PM

Edited by: DuryeaForHollywood on Feb 25, 2012 11:30 PM

1. Shane

2. The Searchers

3. The Excorcist

4. The Godfather II

Give me those four films and I can walk the walk and talk a lot about humanity.

Jake in the Heartland

1. Murder by the Clock (1931) - Lilyan Tashman has a rare starring role.

2. Sitting Pretty (1948) - Clifton Webb's best role, IMHO.

3. Mr. Denning Drives North (1952) - Great and rare British noir

4. Two on a Guilllotine (1965) - Better than it's generally rated with a great score.

All four from 1964:

*The Americanization of Emily*, Arthur Hiller

James Garner, Julie Andrews, Melvyn Douglas

*Fail-Safe*, Sidney Lumet

Dan O'Herlihy, Walter Matthau, Henry Fonda

*Goldfinger*, Guy Hamilton

Sean Connery, Honor Blackman, Gert Frobe

*Seven Days in May*, John Frankenheimer

Kirk Douglas, Burt Lancaster, Fredric March

Not counting myself, I don't know of anyone who's been lucky enough to kiss such handsome beautiful faces...except for my girl Olivia.

Let's have a night of passion on TCM.

*THEY DIED WITH THEIR BOOTS ON (1942)*

2olivia.jpg

*THE HEIRESS (1949)*

3olivia1.jpg

*MY COUSIN RACHEL (1952)*

my-cousin-rachel-3.jpg

*LIBEL (1959)*

4olivia.jpg

I didn't even select her pictures with John Lund, John Forsythe, Rossano Brazzi and James Caan. If I had a second night, then I surely would!

VP19 - Thank you for that information about the earlier version of "Holiday"; I would be interested to see it sometime. :)

Hey, I'm the Olivia nut around here, and I only picked two of her films (Its Love I'm After, Strawberry Blond), as part of my four. :)

TOMMY FOUND A GUN (1958)

THE POET LAUREATE (1963)

THE PAIN AND THE YEARNING (1937)

CLOSE TO THE VEST (1949)

> Hey, I'm the Olivia nut around here, and I only picked two of her films (Its Love I'm After, Strawberry Blond), as part of my four.

Those are both good selections.

She made four films with Bette Davis, and that would make a great evening of programming:

IT'S LOVE I'M AFTER

THE PRIVATE LIVES OF ELIZABETH AND ESSEX

IN THIS OUR LIFE

HUSH...HUSH, SWEET CHARLOTTE

This is so hard!

The Heiress

Angel On My Shoulder

Laura

One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest

Another four would be:

The Lady Eve

On Borrowed Time

Wait Until Dark

Ball Of Fire

Yes, the four movies Bette and Olivia made together would be interesting to show as a 'set' since each movie is very different from the other (screwball comedy, historical drama, melodrama, horror).

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:}{color:black}My choices:{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:}{color:black}1) On the Waterfront{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:}{color:black}2) Gunfight at the OK Corral{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:}{color:black}3) All the King's Men{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:}{color:black}4) Singin in the Rain{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:}{color:black}I can hear the whines that these have all been shown to death but these are the ones that poped into my head. I love every one of them and never tire of watching them. You asked!{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}

{color:black}*2) Gunfight at the OK Corral*

{color:black}*3) All the King's Men*

Hey, Star, you don't have to prove you're original. Some of the oldies but goodies still are open to interpretation and how it affects you the viewer.

I have seen the movie The Searchers more times than I care to count and it still throws curve balls at me striking me out. There are still many things to learn.

I like those picks and they are great movies and I'd love hear your thoughts on 'em.

Jake

Edited by: JakeHolman on Mar 1, 2012 10:33 PM

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}I like those picks and they are great movies and I'd love hear your thoughts on 'em.

Jake{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}That’s going to take a while as I want to get it right but I’m working on it.. {font}