Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
BunnyR

YOU are guest programmer which 4 films would you pick

> {quote:title=BunnyR wrote:}{quote}It was really hard but....

> I love Ginger Rogers

> Vivacious Lady...............Charles Coburn was a gem

>

> Flying Down to Rio...........Great film and the dancing and music perfection!

>

> Mildred Pierce.......best Film Noir, I watch it every time!

>

> What Ever Happen to Baby Jane................Victor Bruno, love his scenes.

>

> I also love religious films.

> Jennifer Jones is another favorite of mine.

I'd like to play, but it depends on the rules of the game. Do we have free reign to select whatever films we like, from whatever studio we like, or do we have to select films from a pre-arranged list of films that are already paid for by TCM, you know, like the real guest programmers have to do?

I would pick four Mae West films that are rarely, if ever shown.

Every Day's a Holiday

Klondike Annie

Goin' to Town

Belle of the Nineties

and a fifth: Go West, Young Man

I've been on a Noir kick lately so I'd pick

Hell's Half Acre

Edge Of Doom

The Phantom Lady

Crime Wave

{font:Calibri}*That’s going to take a while as I want to get it right but I’m working on it..*

Take your time, Star, but you're ready. Life is too short and this is the internet. Let her rip. One day at a time and thank God for every one.

Seriously, those two flicks I agree with you on have many, many twists and angles.

Jake {font}

It would be very hard for me to chose only four. It would be very much easier for me if they would give me one evening in every week of the month as they do the Star of the Month.

If I had to pick four for only one night they might be:

Jolly Fellows (1934)

If I Were King (1938)

Jewel Robbery (1932)

Laura (1944)

I agree with you, SansFin, I would need a month. So many good ones so far.. If everyone had their programming in place, I would choose:

Preston Struges: Hail the Conquering Hero

John Ford: Stagecoach

David Lean: Great Expectations

Harold Lloyd: Girl Shy

I know I have favorites I could discuss, but those have already been selected by others, so I picked 4 with interesting stories told and great visual style.

Edited by: casablancalover on Mar 3, 2012 8:21 AM

That is a cool question, I have thought of this before and I dont't know if I could pick just 4 films. That would be hard but here are the ones I would choose:

A Streetcar Named Desire

The Thin Man

To Have and Have Not

Top Hat

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Times New Roman}Okay, Jake, here goes.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Times New Roman}There was a line in *Forbidden Planet* about “the monster in all of us”. This is sadly true of the characters in *All the King’s Men.* Willie Stark goes from simple, honest man who wants to help his community to ruthless dictator who’ll do anything to keep his power. If this was just a novel it would be easy to dismiss but we have all heard that Stark is based on Huey Long whose career in politics ran a down a similar road. Plenty of other men and women have too; there are a batch in my state legislature right now.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Times New Roman}Broderick Crawford is brilliant as Stark. You don’t see the tyrant hiding behind the “hick” in the beginning; perhaps Stark isn’t aware of it either. Early on he loses elections, finds he’s been duped and this seems to change him for the worse. Being proved right empowers him but negatively. By the time he gets to be Governor the damage has been done. Yes, he does much good for the people but a terrible price and for his benefit, not theirs.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Times New Roman}Jack, Anne, Adam, Sadie and his son are caught up in his rise and pulled down to his gutter. Adultery, extortion, blackmail, bribery, and cover-up follow. This is the real tragedy. The only uncorrupted person in his life, Lucy, is left behind. {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Times New Roman}But Willie can’t beat good old-fashioned Southern family honor. What Adam does is not right but you understand why he does it. Adam must know he will be killed but if he takes Willie with him he thinks it worth it. It’s left to his shamed sister and Jack to come forward to tell the real Stark story. {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Times New Roman}This is a story that will never grow old as it has and will be repeated for as long as men keep trying to decide how to govern themselves. It’s not the system but the people who decide to use it for their own gain. It’s a warning for those of us who believe in our political system{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Times New Roman}This movie deserves the Oscars it won.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Times New Roman}*Gunfight at the OK Corral *is my favorite Western. It has all the elements needed: a great story by Leon Uris, marvelous actors who blend well together, a director like John Sturges, beautiful color scenery and costumes, sweeping music by Dimitri Tiomkin, and that theme by Frankie Laine. It’s about people and how they relate to each other and situations that force them to make hard and strange choices.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Times New Roman}We know that Wyatt Earp was not the clean-cut man portrayed her or on Hugh O’Brian’s TV series. Once you get past that you can enjoy watching him stand up to the criminal element in Dodge City and Tombstone, epically the corrupt Sheriff Wilson. Trying to Keep Billy Clanton out of an outlaw’s life is touching and you feel his grief at Jimmy’s murder. {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Times New Roman}Of course, the real fun is watching his friendship with the villainous Doc Holiday grow in spite of themselves. I can’t picture anybody else in these roles but Lancaster/Douglas. They play off each other so well. {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Times New Roman}The value of family is a Western staple and here we get it at its best and worse. The question of whether the Earps go after the Clantons more for revenge than justice is legitimate; they became wanted men for a time after this. They do have more right on their side though and we want them to win. The Clantons take what they want by any means they can, recognize no law, and have no qualms about murder. Nobody is safe while they operate.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Times New Roman}The women involved have a pretty hard row to hoe. Laura and Mrs. Earp face what all people married to law enforcement officers must; someday they might not come home. The decent Mrs. Clanton must watch her last son go down the same trail that the other outlaw men of the family have. Billy’s explanation to Wyatt of why-they’re his brothers-breaks your heart because it doesn’t seem that hard to understand. {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Times New Roman}The physically and emotionally abusive relationship between Doc and Kate is unsettling today. They don’t seem good for each other yet Kate begs Wyatt to rescue him from lynching and stays with him after he nearly kills her for being with another man and not warning Wyatt in time to save Jimmy. He tries to tell her she’s better off without him but is jealous and angry when she finds someone else for a time. The movie is nearly 55 years old and relationships were looked at differently then so perhaps this was not the troubling situation it is now.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Times New Roman}I don’t think any movie, even the two newer ones, have told this story honestly. The actual gunfight took only 30 seconds which is not nearly long enough for Hollywood heroics. The Earp/Doc combinations were good in them as well. But this one has that special place in my heart that *My Darling Clementine *has for others. This one’s a keeper.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}

Edited by: wouldbestar on Mar 3, 2012 8:04 PM

I knew you could do it Star. A few things I could add but why? Let your post stand. Good stuff.

By the way, Robert Penn Warren was a Southern Agrarian who wrote many thoughtful things about the South that dispels the stereotype given to the Southerner.

I recommend: I'll Take My Stand: The South and the Agrarian Tradition.

Jake

Robert Penn Warren wrote what is perhaps the South's greatest novel: All the King's Men. The movie is good, but way different from Warren's masterpiece. Warren, of course, had the good sense to spend his later years in New England and is buried in Vermont.