Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE MOVIE "ROBERTA"

bernarddelbello

LOL. I wondered about that too. Didnt Bob Hope star in the stage version? I was wondering what part he played. I'm sure the vehicle was changed a lot to fit Fred and Ginger........

Edited by: Hibi on Feb 23, 2012 2:58 PM

I didn't see the movie the other night or hear the commentary so I don't know exactly what RO said.

But from reading the synopsis, the implication I get is there was no "Roberta". Helen Westley's character played John Kent's Aunt Minnie. And Minnie chose the name "Roberta" for herself when she opened the dress shop. But she was still "Aunt Minnie".

It appears Ginger Rogers' character had an "alter ego" also - Lizzie Gatz, aka "Contesse Tanka Scharwenka"

Kyle In Hollywood

Helen Westley, one of the great character actors, was born *Henrietta Remsen Meserole Manney* in Brooklyn. Two of her names -- Remsen and Meserole -- attest to the fact that she comes from a very old Brooklyn family: Remsen and Meserole are streets in Brooklyn named for her ancestors.

On Broadway, Aunt Minnie aka Roberta was played by Faye Templeton. The cast also included Tamara, Lyda Roberti, Bob Hope, Sydney Greenstreet, and Ray Middleton. The song "Lovely to Look at" was written specially for the film.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings