Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Disney's Masterpiece Fantasia

doctorxx

This is a unique film. There has been nothing like it since nor before. If you have not seen it in a couple of decades, do yourself a favor and get it from your library system. The Nutcracker sequence is a perfect realization of the music and the finale, the contrast between good and evil, always bring a tear to my eyes. This is moviemaking at its finest!

I'm a great fan of Fantasia. An amazing artistic achievement. (I also think Fantasia 2000 is pretty wonderful.) "The Socerer's Apprentice", "Night on Bald Mountain", and "Ave Marie" are perhaps the most celebrated segments, and "The Pastoral Symphony" is almost certainly the most controversial & criticized, but for me "The Rite of Spring" is as powerful & memorable as "Ave Marie". Simply devastating. I'll admit to being especially drawn to things about nature and animals even though the life-and-death parts are wrenching for me. You can probably imagine how I am during Bambi or, since we're discussing Fantasia, the heartbreaking kitty cat from Allegro non troppo.

I've had the pleasure of seeing this film on the big screen in a theater with an excellent sound system. Luckily more than once. Point a gun to my head and demand I single out any segment as my favorite, and you may as well just pull the trigger. If I HAD to single out anything, it would be the slow tempo Stokowski gave "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies". It sounds SO much better at that tempo.

What I would find to complain about would be the way theaters used to advertise the showing of it. Newspaper ads would simply show a still shot of Mickey Mouse from "Sorcerer's Apprentice". So many parents would bring their four and five year olds to the show. AND of course, THEY got bored real quick and would start getting fidgity. Between their whining and the parent's shushing, it made it hard to fully enjoy. So I started going to the later showings.

But what's also delightful is that many people I know who detest classical music (my kids included) simply LOVE this tribute to hand drawn animation. I defy the makers of Anime to TRY and top it!

Sepiatone

I'm so glad others appreciate this artistic achievement - I thought I was the only one who "geeked out" and visibly cry when I view this.

Also glad I saw it first on the big screen-although I wholly enjoy the BluRay version on my big Sony TV & 5.1 surround sound. I really think Sony's TV does the best justice to the Disney colors.

The bonus features on the BluRay include a featurette on the Schulteis notebook. Herman Schulteis kept copious notes on the effects that were used in *Fantasia* and the featurette uses pages from the notebook to help explain how some of the more complicated effects were done by hand.

The Schulteis Notebook is on display at the Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco.

>"The So®cerer's Apprentice", "Night on Bald Mountain", and "Ave Marie" are perhaps the most celebrated segments, and "The Pastoral Symphony" is almost certainly the most controversial & criticized, but for me "The Rite of Spring" is as powerful & memorable as "Ave Marie".

It's "Ave Maria, not "Marie" (same name, of course, but different languages. The title and lyrics are in Latin, as per Catholic liturgy).

*"That's very kind of you. But it was careless of me."* - Calamity

It happens to a lot of us. And we all get corrected by "SprocketMan" when it happens.

He is a very knowledgeable person and can be very informative. But most of us have learned just to ignore him when he pulls out his "copy editor" hat and corrects our or other members' typos, mis-spellings or other trivial errors.

Don't let the behavior drive you away from here. I was happy to see you posting.

Kyle (Getting ready to watch *Bambi* tonight) In Hollywood

Here's a youtube link to the uncensored version of the "Pastoral Symphony" sequence. These scenes were included in the WONDERFUL WORLD OF COLOR program "Magic and Music" in 1958. Then, for the picture's early 60's reissue they were cut (along with the music that accompanied the offending shots). For the 50th Anniversary reissue, the original negatives were restored and, rather than cut the footage, the offending shots were merely re-cropped so that the black characters were not seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPKpFNm3QMM

> {quote:title=casablancalover wrote:}{quote}The Pastoral Symphony segment is my favorite, with the Nutcracker close second, and I guess it will always be. I have seen the Fantasia 2000, but somehow it doesn't engage me as a viewer and I love those music choices.

I definitely prefer the original to FANTASIA 2000, though I adore the "Rhapsody in Blue" sequence-- I mean, come on, Gershwin AND Herschfeld! (hope I spelled his name right).

My favorite part of the original FANTASIA is probably "The Rite of Spring" because it's so dang cool. I will never forget seeing FANTASIA in Concert at the Hollywood Bowl last summer (with live symphony orchestra playing to the film) and hearing that bassoon solo (that opens the piece) played live. So beautiful!

When technology isn't cooperating, maybe it's the Universe trying to give me a hint :) ! Thanks for the sympathy.

Enough of my phone travails. Since "The Rite of Spring" is my favorite part of Fantasia, it's probably not a big surprise that I especially love the "Pines of Rome" segment in Fantasia 2000. But "Rhapsody in Blue" is wonderful too and "Firebird Suite" is exquisite. Of course, I could say the same thing about several other numbers in F2000 but I'll stop there. Flamingos and bats and Donald Duck...

I still have to watch "Destino" on the Blu-Ray.

Have you seen some of the sequences that didn't make it in the final version? maybe some here can give some more background or update me about this..

[Clair de Lune|http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcpamvLB2JU]

h5. When this was playing, the birds near my balcony on the Caloosahatchee got excited and started to sing in response.. cool...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings