Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Come To The Stable" Debuts tonight

hlywdkjk

This evening TCM premieres *Come To The Stable* (1949). I had the chance to watch it "On Demand" last week and was pleasantly entertained.

The film is very much in the mold of *The Bishop's Wife* and fans of that film will definitely enjoy tonight's screening.

But the "best" part was the surprise of finding Dooley Wilson in the film. I didn't know that he was in the cast. I don't know if I had ever seen him in another film before, other than *Casablanca*. That was quite fun - even if he is playing a valet once again.

Give it a look.

Kyle In Hollywood

"Come To The Stable" is indeed an excellent movie. It's about two almost penniless nuns who come to the US (Pennsylvania or New England?) from France to build a rural hospital, which they had promised, in their prayers, to do if they survived the recent war.

Besides the excellent performance by star Loretta Young as one of the nuns, it also features Hugh Marlowe as a writer who lives in a neighboring country house, Dooley Wilson as his valet (as already mentioned), and Celeste Holm as the other nun, who has a surprising background that plays a role in the story. (You'll probably remember Marlowe and Holm from "All About Eve.") The always wonderful Elsa Lanchester is a local painter whose depiction of the countryside first inspired the nuns to come to this particular locale.

"Come To The Stable" has a heart-warming quality, with gentle humor, that is indeed similar to that of "The Bishop's Wife," although the latter movie is focused on the Christmas season, while "Stable" is set partly during the winter but doesn't feature the holiday.

Don't miss it!

*Loretta Young at her saintliest! I will try to watch it. Havent seen it in years.........*

FYI, this is the only time Loretta played a nun on the big screen, contrary to popular belief. It has been on rather frequently in the last year or so on FMC, and hopefully will continue to be fatured in their early morning block.

A perfectly wondrous movie! Such a lovely favorite! It had been shown quite a bit on Fox Movie Channel and Cinemax but never on TCM! I am so glad that it has finally made it to TCM tonight.

The story is actually by Clare Booth Luce and was truly factual, as in reality two Benedictine nuns founded in the 1940's what is now known as the Abbey of Regina Laudis in Bethlehem Connecticut. Also little known is the fact that Loretta Young was quite a strict Catholic, causing resentment among the cast and crew as she insisted upon a "swearing box" - anyone caught taking the Lord's name in vain or other blasphemies needed to cough up money for the box. Also, in one scene between Loretta and Celeste Holm, where they are praying on a hillside, Celeste leaned back on her ankles and Loretta reprimanded her, aghast, telling her that nuns would never pray in that posture. Needless to say, Sister Lorettta was rather sanctimonious, posturing in her Catholic faith. I myself am a devout Catholic, but it is different to have one's faith whapped over one's head like a nun hitting a bad student.Ouch.

It is an absolutely beautiful film, casting a spell of goodness and peace on all who watch it. The musical score is stunning as well, which adds to the aura of simple good in a materialistic world. It is my fervent hope that those who have not seen this wonderful film will be blessed by it.

{font:Times New Roman} {font}

{font:}{color:black}But the "best" part was the surprise of finding Dooley Wilson in the film. I didn't know that he was in the cast. I don't know if I had ever seen him in another film before, other than *Casablanca*. That was quite fun - even if he is playing a valet once again.{font}{font:}{color:black} {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{color:black}{font:Calibri}Kyle. Look for a Noah Berry, Jr. film *The Crimson Canary.* Wilson sings One Meat Ball in that one which my mother always sang when she made spaghetti.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:Calibri}{color:black}I also love this movie. Celeste Holm deserved her Oscar and this is a charming story. {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}

Edited by: wouldbestar on Feb 27, 2012 11:00 PM

It's a terrific film. I'm so glad that TCM was able to get it from Fox. It's one of those films that they kept in the vault except for a couple of showings a year on the The Fox Movie Channel. With the changes over there maybe more of those films will be showing up on TCM.

FYI...

The Abby of Regina Laudis in Bethlehem,Conn is the same Abby that Dolores Hart has been in for years. If you saw her at that Awards show. So "Come to the Stable" is the story of the 2 nuns that started this Abby........How's that for a Hollywood connection....

What a weird coincidence, Fred. I enjoyed the movie, even though I could see every plot point coming.....

And I remember all the stories about Loretta's swearbox! (LOL)

Arturo, I wasnt implying Loretta played other nuns....

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}. I enjoyed the movie, even though I could see every plot point coming.....

>

Predictable doesn't have to be a bad thing. A light, pleasent, film that doesn't require straining one's brain anticipating what's coming next can be very entertaining sometimes. :)

*Also little known is the fact that Loretta Young was quite a strict Catholic, causing resentment among the cast and crew as she insisted upon a "swearing box" - anyone caught taking the Lord's name in vain or other blasphemies needed to cough up money for the box.*

It seems to be fairly well known around here, and helps inform many of their image of her.

*"Come To The Stable" has a heart-warming quality, with gentle humor, that is indeed similar to that of "The Bishop's Wife," although the latter movie is focused on the Christmas season, while "Stable" is set partly during the winter but doesn't feature the holiday.*

Last year, after an outcry here about the lack of "holiday movies"-specifically Christmas classics- on TCM during December 2010, I suggested COME TO THE STABLE as one of any number of alternate "holiday movies" that the station can show if the others remain unavailable. I stand by this opinion.

Edited by: Arturo on Feb 28, 2012 2:23 PM

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings