Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Awards made in CHINA! HUH?

hamradio

I just heard on WGN news that if there is no economic turn around in the next couple of years, the production of the Oscar statues may be moved to China. WGN said the Golden Globe and MTV awards are already made there. Well, you learn something new everyday. How many winners will be using these award trophies as paper weights or door stops after seeing "Made in China" stenciled on it? :(

Country is *Going to h__l in a handbasket!!*

Edited by: hamradio on Feb 26, 2012 11:22 PM

Let's not get false rumors going here like some of the news media likes to. Since 1983, the "Oscar" statuettes have been made by R.S. Owens & Co. located in Chicago. As there are only about 50 made each year it would seem like the little bit of money the Academy might save by having them made in China could never offset the tons of bad publicity it would get. I could even see a boycott of the ceremony and sponsors pulling out of the telecast if that were to happen. Besides, some American company would probably offer to do them cheaper just for the prestigue.

If, in fact, those other awards are really made in China, maybe it's time to start a campaign to bring them back to the U.S.A. too.

Hey mark, what say we give our buddy ham here some slack, OKAY dude???

I mean, there ALWAYS the possiblilty that ham is just practicin' his trade here, ya know!

Uh huh! Maybe he's one of those guys all the candidates now use to write those "commercials" that kinda sorta, let's say, "stretch the truth a bit" that we'll all soon be inundated with on our TV sets this year?!

(...yep...ever think o' THAT???)

:^0

Here is the partial (too little of it) story on their website

http://www.wgntv.com/news/wgntv-academy-awards-oscar-statue-manufactured-on-chicagos-northwest-side-20120226,0,1159193.story

I can't find any other info on the web or other news agencies. I guess no one cares which is even sadder.

Far as practicing my trade, noticed I've been gone for a while? :)

Being building a heating control unit, 70's tech light dimmer, replica of Allied Radio's 10 in 1 project kit of the 1950's, 100 KHZ crystal calibrator and my take on the "Span Master".

I'm high on rosin core solder. :P

> {quote:title=Dargo wrote:}{quote}Hey mark, what say we give our buddy ham here some slack, OKAY dude???

>

>

>

>

Sorry, I guess I didn't make myself clear. I wasn't implying that he was starting a rumor. He's just reporting what he heard. I was referring to some of the people who might read it. Rumors gets started from a simple thing like that. Somebody only half reads something and the next thing you know it's all over the internet that "TCM is reporting that the Academy Awards are moving to China".

markfp2 wrote:

<< Somebody only half reads something and the next thing you know it's all over the internet that "TCM is reporting that the Academy Awards are moving to China". >>

Were they half way there during the 1940's or was Hollywood beating them to the punch? LOL!

GraumansChineseTheater.jpg

Oh, I know what you were sayin' there, Mark. And, you said it very well, I might add.

(...but c'mon here dude, couldn't ya see that I was just usin' you and ham to take a shot at and make fun of all these lousy freakin' @!#$^^$#@! television political advertisements X-( that we're all instore for the next 8 to 9 months on every freakin' television channel EXCEPT..thank you Mr. Turner..our beloved TCM???)

;)

*True Story: Oscar Statue Modeled After Mexican Man*

http://colorlines.com/archives/2012/02/oscar_statue_modeled_after_mexican_director_emilio_fernandez.html

EmilioFernandez-300-jpg_024813.jpg

-------------------------

4411316054_9ab4555876.jpg

*'El Indio' Fern?ndez, el hombre que sirvi? como modelo para las estatuillas de los Oscars*

http://elzo-meridianos.blogspot.com/2010/03/el-indio-fernandez-el-hombre-que-fue-el.html

To me this thread is an example of Fox news type mentality. First this rumor isn't a good example of the country going downhill even if these awards are someday made in China.

Second, the only reason that business man created this story is to give him leverage when dealing with the academy over the cost of creating the Oscars. As others pointed out, there are likely to be other businesses that would create them here in the USA.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings