Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Oscar Month Repeats

Hibi

Anyone notice they are showing Nun's Story again when they just showed it a week or so ago??? Has anyone noticed other Oscar month repeats??? I cant remember this happening before. And Sat. we get Some Like It Hot again! Aargh. Is that Drew's debut???

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}

> Anyone notice they are showing Nun's Story again when they just showed it a week or so ago??? Has anyone noticed other Oscar month repeats??? I cant remember this happening before. And Sat. we get Some Like It Hot again! Aargh. Is that Drew's debut???

This happened because it was noticed that the film originally scheduled for today, BATTLE OF THE BULGE, was not nominated for any Oscars. A few of us suggested alternatives and I guess A NUN'S STORY was the most convenient option:

http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=163377&tstart=0

> {quote:title=clore:}{quote} This happened because it was noticed that the film originally scheduled for today, BATTLE OF THE BULGE, was not nominated for any Oscars.

Weeeeeeird! So, yanking the Lonely are the Brave trailer from showing nine times for a week when it turns out the film is not showing after all is just too complicated; checking their copy of Jane Eyre to make sure there are no soundtrack issues is too much work; getting the facts right in their outro/introes for Os and Manksie, eh who has the time?

But Battle of the Bulge is showing on a Wednesday afternoon during the tail-end of Oscar month and it didn't earn any nominations?

*HOLY S***!* Stop EVERYTHING, shut this B**** DOWN: we're ON THIS!

Weird.

That said, there have been 27 premieres this month sos I'm gonna leave the schedule otherwise alone.

ps- House of Dark Shadows was not, I believe, nominated for any Oscars either- yet it was part of the "Governer's Awards" tribute at the very start of the month as an example of the work of makeup artiste Dick Smith.

Edited by: JonnyGeetar on Feb 29, 2012 10:23 AM

House of Dark Shadows was not, I believe, nominated for any Oscars either- yet it was part of the "Governer's Awards" tribute at the very start of the month as an example of the work of makeup artiste Dick Smith.

Actually, HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS aired on January 31 at 10pm Eastern time.

Oh, BROTHER! Sloppy, sloppy. Thanks for the info. I hadnt noticed the other thread. Well, the world wouldnt have ended if they'd shown BULGE. I wouldnt have noticed! But apparently some people did. Dont they have people to check these things?????

> {quote:title=clore wrote}{quote}: Actually, HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS aired on January 31 at 10pm Eastern time.

Oh. I thought it was the kickoff to the 31 Days extravaganza. I wasn't even complaining about House of Dark Shadows being aired+,+ I've wanted to see it for some time. I think TCM ran it back circa October and I fell asleep during the second half.

It was a little disappointing, but inn-teresting nonetheless.

*"Oh. I thought it was the kickoff to the 31 Days extravaganza."* - JG

Yes. TCM's night of films saluting the 2011 Board of Governors honorees was January 31st and not part of the "31 Days of Oscar" programming.

And for those that haven't looked at the other thread where *Battle Of The Bulge* was discussed, a documentary film titled *The Battle of The Bulge* was an Oscar nominee. The dramatic film which was scheduled for today was not nominated in any categories. Because of that error, TCM has removed it from the schedule and replaced it with a different film (partially) set in Belgium. Awkwardly, it is a film that has already been shown this month.

It was a no-win situation for TCM. I guess it decided that showing a film during "31 Days..." that wasn't an Oscar nominee was more egregious than repeating a film that was previously shown.

Kyle In Hollywood

Don't worry, I didn't presume you were complaining about HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS airing. I was watching it also, thinking back to the time that I took my girlfriend to see it way back in 1970 and she was so thrilled since she watched the show daily.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings