Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any Deanna Durbin Fans?

ERROL23

• 3 months later...

Its too bad Deanna only made a limited amount of films.Some actors she never worked with,Fred Astairs,Howard Keel,James Cagney,Bing Crosby,Gordon MacRae,Frank Sinatra,Mario Lanza,and Mickey Rooney.

Bing wanted to do Top Of The Morning with Deanna,but she turned down the part.

Your list of male stars with whom she didn't co-star got me thinking. Did she ever have male singers as co-stars or was the strategy always to showcase her and her voice only? The one she made with Gene Kelly was a non-singing role as I recall.

That was Christmas Holiday(1944)with Gene Kelly.This is a great film.Deanna sings Always and Spring Will Be A Little Late This Year.The song Ill Remember April is played,but sadly,Deanna never sings it.Its too bad Deanna never made a musical with Gene.

Although Deanna was usually the only singer in her films, in both CAN'T HELP SINGING (Robert Paige) and UP IN CENTRAL PARK (Dick Haymes), she did appear with leading men who could sing...though she still did the majority of singing in both films.

She also sang the "Miserere" duet (in English) from Verdi's IL TROVATORE with Metropolitan Opera tenor Jan Peerce in 1947's SOMETHING IN THE WIND.

• 1 month later...

I'd like to see TCM and Universal continue their collaboration in releasing Deanna Durbin movies on DVD. Ten films remain. Following the pattern by TCM's "Music & Romance" collection, you could have the "Song & Hard Times" collection: One Hundred Men and a Girl (1937), The Amazing Mrs. Holliday (1943), Hers to Hold (1943), Christmas Holiday (1944), and Up in Central Park (1948). Then, to finish out, a "Love & Ambition" collection: It's a Date (1940), Spring Parade (1940), Nice Girl? (1941), His Butler's Sister (1943), and I'll Be Yours (1947).

Deanna Durbin was a true prodigy who luckily was captured on film, providing us with her brilliant charisma and talents. My two favorite Durbin movies have yet to be put on DVD. They are: NICE GIRL? and 'HIS BUTLER'S SISTER. Both co-starred her with Franchot Tone who was considered at the time a sexy, charming leading man.

in NICE GIRL? she was also given a second love interest, the ravishing young Robert Stack whose beauty at that time was surreal. Universal saw that he received almost as many close-ups as Durbin and he made a beautifully warm boyfriend for her to fall in and out of love. This movie also captures Universal Studio at its peak as no expense was spared on recreating a small-town America. When Durbin sings at a July 4th celebration along the banks of a river, the hundreds of townspeople listen raptly as she performs, "Old Folks at Home." At the end of the movie, she again performs an unforgettable hymn to war-struck America, "I Give My Thanks to America!" This is one movie that I wish TCM would show to give us a glimpse to an amazing young artist who captured the hearts of tens of millions of people around the world for a few wonderful years.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to put out an update about Deanna Durbin's films. I have heard that film buff and philanthropist David Packard is requesting the Library Of Congress restore some more of Deanna Durbin's original negatives and put out state of the art restored film prints to be shown publically at film festivals. And he will pay for it! Even though she only made 22 films the LoC has preprint material on 18 titles but only print on two. This is great news for Deanna Durbin fans, the more the public gets to see her films the more likely they are to be preserved and shown more often. Which as you know will make the world a happier & better place to live.

• 1 month later...

DVD Up In Central Park(1948)will be out soon on DVD.Good cast,Deanna along with Dick Haymes,Vincent Price,Tom Powers,etc

No threat to Showboat,State Fair,Sound Of Music,etc(Those films and songs from those movies were much better)But worth seeing.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know what Ms. Durbin has done with her life in France after she retired in 1949? Aside from the usual children, grandchildren and now maybe great-grandchildren has she made any contributions to the furtherment of music, health or maybe even "dogs" like Doris and Bridget. I mean, you know it's ok to have your privacy but people who have possesed great talent just don't abandon their gifts without sharing or contributing something. As much as I admire and respect Ms. Durbin I would very disappointed to hear she has done absolutely nothing. I'd be thrilled if she gave singing lessons or piano lessons in her little French village. Anyone know?

• 2 weeks later...

I keep praying for a DVD release of Durbin's fabulous "Nice Girl?" and "His Butler's Sister." Those are my two favorites.

I was beyond thrilled to discover that the l937 musical masterpiece, MGM's "Maytime" is now on DVD! I promptly ordered and am eagerly awaiting to see how it looks on disc and if there are any extras.

Now, if we could only get "One Night of Love" with the phenomenal Grace Moore on DVD.

• 3 months later...

Now we know what has become of Deanna Durbin passing away at age 91. My questions still unanswered from my last posting. Perhaps the coming obituaries may answer them. She didn't have to continue to star on stage or screen but did she make herself useful with her God given talents to help her neighbors in that little town in France where she hid.

• 3 weeks later...

When listening to Deanna Durbin sing, tears sometimes come to my eyes, not from sentiment or fan devotion, but simply from hearing musical tones so clear and pure, from hearing a voice of such piercing beauty! All my life I've despised vocalise (singing "Ah! Ah! Ah!"), but from Deanna I discovered that her voice by itself makes a musical instrument--between a violin and cello in tessitura! I have always preferred orchestral music to singing, but Deanna awakened my realization that musical instruments mere are adumbrations (shadows) and derivatives of the human sound. If people never vocalized, would music have ever arisen? The human soul aches to hear song as much as it aches to listen to story. We are preadapted that way.

Praise must be accorded to Deanna's voice teacher, Andres de Segurola, because he was wise enough not to try to extend her natural vocal placement toward a louder, more operatic sound, or to emphasize vocal tricks like trilling. All such stretching and pushing of nature eventually damages the voice. Rather Andres simply guided what was there to perfect technique. Deanna's breath control, diction, and dynamical expression endure as gold standards of singing excellence.

Baritone Lawrence Tibbett once declared Deanna Durbin to be "the modern Jenny Lind." Was hers the greatest female voice ever recorded? To ask this is like asking where Mozart is better than Beethoven. All such questions are unanswerable because every great talent brings special gifts to its art. The late Mina Foley of New Zealand had the same kind of voice as Deanna's and surely both voices are equal in beauty. But Deanna's 13-year repertory is so varied and broad. She must be given credit for that. I count 243 performances of 132 songs.

Before Deanna was 13, she once signed her name "Edna May" in her own hand with that spelling. So, thank you, Edna May, for these many gifts! Rest in peace for a job well done and a life well lived.

• 4 weeks later...

you can get all but of Deanna's moves on dvd UK I have all of them 2 are on VHS from the 90's.. you cant get a dvd player from Amz for about 30. region 0 so you paly the uk movies it worked for me have all on VHS just in case but have the TCM set & sweetheart the rest of the DVD's I got from Eb from the UK, so I have Nice Girl & His Butlers Sister on DVD

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings