Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm No Sci-Fi Rocket Scientist but is 2001 Sci-Fi or Horror?

GOFFMYCLOUD

Curious becuz it is Playing Today and The TCM GODS have it Classified as Horror.

Which I agree it is pretty Frightening at times but ...?

While on The 2001 Subject I was very, very fortunate to have the Experience of Writing a

Script for The Great Special Effects Guru and Director, Douglas Trumbull (2001, Close

Encounters, Brainstorm, Showscan). Not only was He an Incredible Visionary but a truly Beautiful

and Kind Human Being. Just thought I'd share that with All You Good TCM Folks.

Back to the Classification Plot, I also noticed that THE YEAR OF LIVING DANGEROUSLY was

wrongly listed the other night as a Western. That I know has to be Wrong but as far as 2001 I will

leave it for You Film Scholars to debate and decide.

Finally, I am still hoping that TCM can figure out how to Retro-ize the jarring Modern Day Studio

Logos.

Thanks for Listening.

Why not both? Maybe your question highlights the limitations of genre classifications. Consider Alien (and its many spawn), certainly a fusion of sci-fi and horror. Consider the recent film Cowboys and Aliens. I haven't seen it, and can't say whether it was good or not, but there you have a combination of sci-fi and westerns.

Don't forget Silent Running.

Very Good Points. The Classification System is where The Fault lies.

And Yes, just saying KUBRICK definitely says it ALL. Maybe that could be

a whole New Classification Category - KUBRICK, WILDER, CAPRA, ORSON,

BETTE, BOGEY, EDWARD G...

I'm guessing that Kubrick and Doug don't classify 2001 as Horror.

And Yes, How could I forget The Classic, SILENT RUNNING?!

Thanks for Sharing.

The only horror in "2001" is the alien's home decor. :^0

"2001" is a true sci-fi with the optimism of the future.

The Science channel is playing "The Prophets of Science Fiction" and just recently discussed Sir Authur C. Clark who collaborated with the legendary filmmaker Stanley Kubrick in the making of "2001" They prophesizes the details of our modern world, including commercial spaceflight, video-chatting, and even iPads.

If they only knew what the future actually held, they would have made it a *horror,* mostly with commercial flight whether on Earth or going to the Moon regarding the TSA. Could Sir Authur C. Clark ever envision a society, paranoid over terrorism going through airport security having "1984" type of people on a power trip putting their hands down your pants, grabbing our privates, assulting the elderly and molesting our children? :0

Edited by: hamradio on Mar 2, 2012 11:52 AM Fixed typo - oops (Sepiatone, thanks for the hint :) )

I would classify it as "Science Fiction/Suspense"

So for the dolts who couldn't read all the letters in the SciFi channel logo, which forced them to shorten it to SyFy, that would be: SciFense? :)

hamradio, you are sooo right about the TSA. They would make Hitler proud.

Doh, color me stupid. So that was the alien's HOME where Keir was allowed to live out his life and then the aliens rebirthed him? Judas Priest, and I even read the book.

But why just him? Why did they kill off everyone else and rebirth him? Did they do the same thing to a female? I guess I paid too much attention to the music and the pretty colors.

I think I recall reading in my WOW guide that they changed it from "Sci-Fi" to Sy-Fy" Because the spelling "Sci-Fi" strictly refers to science fiction, and not everything they show is in that category. Like mutant woodland monsters or vampires and the like. How they came up with "Sy-Fy" isn't really clear, except maybe because they're pronounced the same, those dolts you mentioned will still know where to find it.

Sepiatone

The people who were NOT rebirthed are the fortunate ones. My goodness, would you want to spend out your life as a very old man with Parkinson's disease in that room for eternity?? YUCK!

*God must hate me! :_|*

2001SpaceOdyssey133.jpg

Edited by: hamradio on Mar 2, 2012 12:25 PM

The truth of the matter is:

They changed their name from "SciFi" to Sy-Fy" because they couldn't actually put a copyright on the word "SciFi" (short for science fiction, coined in the 50's by Forrest J. Ackerman). That's the REAL reason the channel changed their named...the one they currently have is (and could be when they changed it) copyrighted.

>Hamradio wrote: The people who were NOT rebirthed are the fortunate ones. My goodness, would you want to spend out your life as a very old man with Parkinson's disease in that room for eternity?? YUCK!

>God must hate me!

Yeah, and all that serious below-lighting (forget the tech term) But you get to come back as a baby to relive it all?! OMG!

House of the Seven Gables is much closer to being a horror movie...certainly with horror elements like the "family curse" and suggestions of a haunting, etc...than any of the others mentioned in this thread. At the very least, it's often been considered a type of horror movie by many over the years....but not the other films described here (2001, CE3K, etc.).

> {quote:title=kriegerg69 wrote:}{quote}House of the Seven Gables is much closer to being a horror movie...certainly with horror elements ... At the very least, it's often been considered a type of horror movie by many over the years....

Eh. But if they wanted it to be a horror movie, they really didn't go "all out" for it in the mood, lighting, atmosphere, music- heck, even the performances. And it's a Universal* film with Vincent Price!

Really, it's a tepid little period piece with a slight and brief suggestion of the supernatural- but it ends up being a heavily moralizing, unmemorable picture which, quite frankly, would have been better off as a short.

But thanks for showing it, TCM!

*somewhat oddly, the actual house they built for the movie was still standing the last time I was on the Universal lot, back in 2004(ish.)

Edited by: JonnyGeetar on Mar 2, 2012 6:22 PM

> {quote:title=JonnyGeetar wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=kriegerg69 wrote:}{quote}House of the Seven Gables is much closer to being a horror movie...certainly with horror elements ... At the very least, it's often been considered a type of horror movie by many over the years....

> Eh. But if they wanted it to be a horror movie, they really didn't go "all out" for it in the mood, lighting, atmosphere, music- heck, even the performances. And it's a Universal* film with Vincent Price!

>

> *Neither was Universal's NIGHT KEY a true HORROR FILM and that one even had BORIS KARLOFF in the lead. Yet it is considered one of their classic Horror films.*

>

>

>

> Really, it's a tepid little period piece with a slight and brief suggestion of the supernatural- but it ends up being a heavily moralizing, unmemorable picture which, quite frankly, would have been better off as a short.

>

>

> But thanks for showing it, TCM!

>

>

> *somewhat oddly, the actual house they built for the movie was still standing the last time I was on the Universal lot, back in 2004(ish.)

>

> Edited by: JonnyGeetar on Mar 2, 2012 6:22 PM

>

> {quote:title=willbefree25 wrote:}{quote}

> So for the dolts who couldn't read all the letters in the SciFi channel logo, which forced them to shorten it to SyFy, that would be: SciFense? :)

It was never truly a sci-fi channel as they intended to also include horror, fantasy and other movies which fit into the overall genre of: not-your-mother's-movies.

Sci-fi has long been a contentious term in and of itself. Most authors prefer the term SF because it does not cheapen the genre and because it can stand also for Speculative Fiction which is an important distinction since the line between science fiction and fantasy is murky.

During his in and out for *2001*, Mr. Osborne described our film as SciFi. (He definitely did not say SyFy, saving TCM the cost of paying a license fee for using some other channel's trademark.) Apparently, the judgment of the TCM schedule makers did not reach Mr. Osborne before his in and outs were recorded.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings