Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

talkietime?

willbefree25

I hope you read here. :)

Now that I've, only just, come into the 21st century with the purchase of a flat screen teevee, I have to admit (I hope my CRTs can't hear me) they are nice to look at.

Towards that end, I want to upgrade the television on which I watch DVDs. Since it is solely for that purpose, there being no cable in that particular room, can you recommend a monitor strictly for playing DVDs? Is there such a thing?

I'm guessing yes, and I'm also guessing that you know all about it!

Thank you, talkietime.

I do not know specifically, but I can imagine that somewhere someone makes what you are looking for. The only question I have is why you would want to go to the trouble. Flat screen TVs are so cheap these days, unless you go for a 55", 3d LED model, finding a monitor would hardly be worth the effort, and would probably cost more. You can find specials for 55" LCD TVs for under $500, and plasmas for even less. Every time I see ads like that I get sick to my stomach. I paid $1500 for my 42" LG LCD. Arrrguh!

Okay, thank you.

ETA: slaytonf, do these sound like options to you?

[Terk HDTVa Indoor Amplified High-Definition Antenna for Off-Air HDTV Reception|http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007MXZB2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER]

[Winegard SS-3000 Amplified Indoor UHF/VHF Antenna|http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DFZ5II/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER]

An important question is how far will you be sitting from the screen? Will it be on a desk you sit at, or in a room, and you'll be in a chair, (or on a couch)? The best deals I see on good TVs are 60-63" Mitsubishi DLP TVs for $6-700. That's what I would buy, were I to buy a new TV today. But, if you're going to watch while sitting on a desk, a 32" TV would be fine.

New HDTVs will have both ATSC tuners, and QAM tuners. An ATSC tuner will tune all digital broadcasts your antenna receives. A QAM tuner will tune in all unscrambled channels on a Cable TV coax feed. These days, that is probably 15-20 channels, mostly local.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings