Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

In Harm's Way: John Wayne's Best Performance

slaytonf

There are movies where John Wayne acts like John Wayne. Those are his worst.

There are movies where John Wayne is John Wayne. Those are his most recognized.

There is one move where John Wayne doesn't act. It is In Harm's Way. I don't know how Otto Preminger did it.

If not The Best certainly one of The Duke's Very Best.

I really think IN HARM'S WAY is actually more than a bit underrated.

I wonder if The Purists just dismiss it becuz of Mister Wayne.

It's a Great Cast - Burgess, Neal, Kirk, Fonda, Prentiss, Tom Tryon ...

A Helluva' Script and it has that True War Realism that a lot of War Movies don't.

Great Flick!

It's certainly Wayne, but "classic" Wayne, and not outstanding. "Outstanding" Wayne, to me(I'll repeat) is *Red River* and *The Searchers*. Don't misunderstand, I LOVE many John Wayne flicks, including *In Harm's Way*, and the Duke DOES give a fine performance (let's not say anything about Gengis Kahn) in all of them. But for me, those two stand apart.

Sepiatone

I think the "Purists" dismiss it because it is a boring film with some good acting. Wayne and Neal are fine as the older couple finding someone in time of war. Wayne trying to bridge the gap between him and the son he doesn't know.. To me the cast tries hard, they even talked Tom Tyron out of quitting after a big blow up he had with Otto.. I just wish they producers had taken Kirk Douglas up on his offer to pay {out of his own pocket} for the battle scenes to be reshot and look better then the terrible models they used, some said it looked like Preminger shot the scenes in his bathtub.. Right after the film wrapped Wayne entered the hospital and had one lung and a few ribs removed because of cancer.

I've watched the film a few times since I saw it on the first release and my opinion still hasn't changed......

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings