Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Letterbox & Sidebar on TCMHD

YogiYahooeys

I've watched a few movies this month on TCMHD that took me by surprise. Just about the last thing I expected on TCMHD was to watch a letterboxed movie. Not meaning that there was space above and below my HD widescreen TV's picture, like a 2.35:1 ratio picture. No, I'm talking about movies on TCMHD that have black bars on the top, bottom, left, and right. Kind of like I bought a widescreen movie from 1996 before they were regularly anamorphic or "enhanced for widescreen TVs".

TCMHD is usually good about filling the screen to the left and right on movies that they have widescreen prints of, but now twice during of all times, 31 Days of Oscar, it's happened. The 2 movies were "Bless The Beasts And Children" and "The Hawaiians".

I just wonder what happened. Is there a button or switch that someone just forgot to press to make these films display correctly on the HD channel?

I know that there was also a problem a couple months ago with a film from the 30's that somehow got zoomed in on TCMHD like it was widescreen when it wasn't and ended up having the top and bottom of the picture cut off. I guess this was maybe a similar situation, but in reverse?

I have SD digital along with a few HD local channels and Directv with the standard video output. Since I bought my Toshiba HD televison, I've learned that I will never get a perfect fit will all channels and programming.

When watching Directv, I set my picture size to and because I had to install a 2.1 sound system behind my TV (because of very bad sound quality with the set), I use my Panasonic DVD recorder as a tuner which has an HDMI connection.

Here it gets interesting, I've discovered I get better picture size control over programming with the recorder. An example is when I watch my local Fox WVAH 11, I either get complete full screen or 4:3 with large sidebars *when using the TV's built-in tuner* but when I go to the DVD recorders tuner, I can get a compromise with the picture size settings.

gives me true 4:3 and gives me only a slight stretch with smaller sidebars. behaves like the built in tuner with a complete stretch of the screen.

I love this Panasonic HDMI output for giving me better picture control. The other night when I watched "2001" and "2010" airing on TCM with my Directv, I used the for best fit. I got the complete side to side view with only small top and bottom bars unlike the huge ones on a standard TV set.

I'm surprised how some people don't like to use their Picture size control, thinking the stations should always give the *perfect fit!* That will never happen.

Try to remember, an HD television set is NOT a 2.35:1 format! If you get a complete fill-in with Letterbox broadcast, then you are either missing a little of the side to side or the picture is being compressed for the top to bottom fill. Even on a HD set, expect top and bottom bars with Letterbox when properly set for optimum enjoyment.

I have never experienced any of these problems with TCMHD on my Samsung set. I always get the proper ratio.

Occasionally, the fault is TCM's. The broadcast of The Hawaiians a few days ago was windowboxed on the HD channel, just as it was on the SD channel.

> {quote:title=Sprocket_Man wrote:}{quote}I have never experienced any of these problems with TCMHD on my Samsung set. I always get the proper ratio.

Then you just haven't been watching on one of the few films where they have screwed up. However, the proper ratio isn't necessarily the problem when they mess up. If they show a WS film in LB on the HD channel, the ratio is fine, but it is picture-boxed, with black bars on all four sides.

The other occasional problem is when they think a 4x3 film should be LB, but it isn't, and they zoom it on the HD broadcast, cutting off the top and bottom of the film. If you see a film made before 1953 listed as LB in the TCM schedule, check it out on the HD channel, and it will probably be cropped, top and bottom, and fill the 16x9 screen. Thankfully, these problems are rare.

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}If they show a WS film in LB on the HD channel, the ratio is fine, but it is picture-boxed, with black bars on all four sides.

The correct/accurate term is windowboxed , not picture-boxed. "Windowboxed" has been around since the days of laserdisc, long before DVD and common widescreen presentations on tv.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings