Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Drew Barrymore knows what she's talking about

slaytonf

She is also articulate. It is pleasant to watch her talk with Mr. Osborne. The only drawback is the same with all other Essentials, that the framing discussions are too short to be provide much valuable information or analysis relating to the featured film.

I agree with all the great comments posted so far. Drew was lovely to listen to and lovely to look at. Alec I thought was a great co-host and I'm also so glad that Drew was the one chosen to sit in the chair across from RO. It sort of reminded me of a loving grandfather with his loving grandaughter. She's a thoughtful, articulate and film knowledgeable woman. Great choice and I look forward to Drew's insightful thoughts on the films chosen for The Essentials.

I agree about the short time that is given to the Essentials wraparounds. I think they should have a 15-minute program either before or after the screening, sort of like Tom Rothman's pieces over at FMC. It allows for much more film analysis that way.

Incidentally, as I posted in another thread, I think Anjelica Huston would've done just as great a job. Drew, as delightful and perky as she is in a Meg Ryan sort of way, is not the only knowledgeable one in Hollywood who has been descended from a film-making dynasty.

Drew came across so very well. I have grown to like her quite a bit over the years.

She brings a great enthusiasm to The Essentials and I am eager to learn her views on a number of the films coming up. And I liked that they had two Essentials on last night.

> I hate to bring it up, but weren't the words that everyone is so proud of put in Drew's mouth by writers just as the oft-lambasted words are put in RO's mouth?

Not necessarily.

While Robert O and Ben M's film-centric wraparounds at the beginning and end of the movies are scripted, *The Essentials* is more like the monthly Guest Programming stints.

A topic for discussion on the film being shown may be decided on ahead of time but the conversation is not scripted and Robert O and Drew were having a conversation much like he does with Guest Programmers.

Edited by: lzcutter because verbs are important

*"I hate to bring it up, but weren't the words that everyone is so proud of put in Drew's mouth by writers..."*

Not at all.

The producer of "The Eseentials" series will discuss potential "topics" related to a particular film for the Osborne/Barrymore conversation. These will occur in advance of the taping.

I am sure asking Barrymore's reaction to the last line of *Some Like It Hot* was prompted by an observation she had already made in an earlier conversation she may have had - either with a producer or with Robert Osborne himself. Same for discussing why the film was shot in B&W. In the case of *This Is Spinal Tap* late Saturday night, discussing the memorable "closing credits" sequence of that film was certainly "pre-arranged."

The conversation between Osborne and Barrymore may not be purely spontaneous but it isn't scripted.

Kyle In Hollywood

No, Drew Barrymore doesn't know what she's talking about! She's too young to host The Essentials and she needs to do more research on the films that Robert Osbourne is discussing with her. Forget about her acting family dynasty! I hope that she only lasts for a month on The Essentials because Ms. Barrymore doesn't appeal to the viewers who watch TCM!!!

*"She's too young to host The Essentials and she needs to do more research on the films that Robert Osbourne is discussing with her. Forget about her acting family dynasty!"*

I'm not sure how old you think she is but..., she is 37 years old (born in 1975) - not that that has any relevance to her abilities to co-host The Essentials.

From the promo spots for the series that have run this month, including the new "Now Playing: The Show" which was shown this afternoon, one learns that her passion for classic movies is genuine.

*"I hope that she only lasts for a month on The Essentials because Ms. Barrymore doesn't appeal to the viewers who watch TCM!!!"*

It's too bad you feel that way. Because she is co-hosting the entire season. Drew Barrymore will be on TCM every Saturday night until next January.

Kyle In Hollywood

Admit have not seen Drew on The Essentials yet but hey why not. I have been interested in old movies since I was very, very young. 10 yrs old watching Bogart, Judy,Bette,Carole Lombard, and all the rest. And when I wasn't watching 'em I was at the library readin' about 'em. Sorry 'bout the folksy typin' having a Marorie Main moment. Anyways maybe having Drew on TCM will get younger people interested. And attention should be payed to her lineage. I like Drew. Recenlty a critic was comparing her favorably to Doris Day, that her grasp of light romantic comedy was as good as Doris' I agree, she is a wonderful comedienne. And her turn as Little Edie was phenomenal.

I hate to fly in the face of you people's constant gushing about Drew Barrymore , but here goes. She's supposed to know film history, right? She is descended from John and Lionel Barrymore, right? The best-known movie that arguably either of them, and definitely both of them, were in was GRAND HOTEL, right?........Well, last night, when RO told her that Edmund Goulding, the director of THE RAZOR'S EDGE, also directed GRAND HOTEL, she nearly fell off her chair in surprise. Now THAT is something she should have known, and incidentally, she still sounds like a Valley Girl to me.

Edited by: finance on Mar 11, 2012 1:33 PM

> She's supposed to know film history, right?

Not necessarily. The prerequisites for hosting *The Essentials* changes with the host. Rose McGowan wasn't well versed in film history but she was invited to be a co-host because she likes classic films and because she loves the channel.

Carrie Fisher was invited because she's Debbie Reynolds daughter and loves classic film. Did she provide deep historical background on the films from her season of *The Essentials*? Not really.

During his first season as co-host Alec Baldwin didn't either but the following two seasons he seems to have immersed himself in the films chosen and talked much deeper in depth about them.

I was a little surprised that Drew didn't know who directed *Grand Hotel* but I didn't realize off the top of my head that Edmund Goulding had directed both that film and *The Razor's Edge*.

One thing we tend forget as film buffs that sitting across from Robert O and talking about classic films is not always easy and not everyone has the ability to speak eloquently about a film even if they are used to being on camera.

I give Barrymore props, she's willing to learn about films. Prior to this she hadn't seen *The Razor's Edge* and from her conversation last night, it is one that made a impression on her.

Let's see nowww...most of us here in these forums who are of an advanced age(50+) consistently complain about kids who have no interest in "classic" movies because they're "old" or are "black and white" or for whatever reason. So now, here is someone who, in spite of her heritage, doesn't SEEM to know much about these movies, but shows an interest( an interest many of her contemporaries DON'T have), and someone is STILL complaining?

Like my Dad once said, there are people who would complain if you gave them a million dollar coin because it wasn't SHINY!

Sepiatone

>The one thing I can tell you is that Drew Barrymore is one of the CUTEST girls I've ever seen and I'm 46 years old and I've seen them all. Cute and smart too. How can you beat that?!

I was amazed to find that IMDB says she is 37 years old now. Born in 1975.

The prerequisites for hosting *The Essentials *changes with the host. Rose McGowan wasn't well versed in film history but she was invited to be a co-host because she likes classic films and because she loves the channel.

Carrie Fisher was invited because she's Debbie Reynolds daughter and loves classic film. Did she provide deep historical background on the films from her season of *The Essentials*? Not really.

During his first season as co-host Alec Baldwin didn't either but the following two seasons he seems to have immersed himself in the films chosen and talked much deeper in depth about them.

I was a little surprised that Drew didn't know who directed *Grand Hotel *but I didn't realize off the top of my head that Edmund Goulding had directed both that film and *The Razor's Edge*.

One thing we tend forget as film buffs that sitting across from Robert O and talking about classic films is not always easy and not everyone has the ability to speak eloquently about a film even if they are used to being on camera.

I give Barrymore props, she's willing to learn about films. Prior to this she hadn't seen *The Razor's Edge *and from her conversation last night, it is one that made a impression on her.

Working in movies doesn't automatically translate to knowledge of film history, just as playing baseball doesn't inherently mean you're a baseball historian. (How many current major-leaguers have ever heard of Walter Johnson or Honus Wagner, for example?) Drew probably has some sense of her family's acting heritage; beyond that, I don't know.

I'm not sure how you can really like classic films without really knowing anything about classic films. Most people would be curious enough to find something out about things they like. If you heard a great song on the radio, wouldn't you make some attempt to find out the title and artist?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings