Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1st Anniversay of Reformatted tcm.com. Your thoughts, please.

allthumbs

It's been a year since tcm.com changed over from the old format/style to its current configuration.

So, (apparently) what's done is done and what we've got is here to stay. The glitches encountered during the transition should be fixed, and if a feature disappeared and hasn't come back by now, it can be considered gone (unless there's a mighty protest.)

What do you lament that's gone, and is there anything that still needs to be fixed?

I've got two:

GONE: On the email reminder link for a future airing of a movie, the feature to automatically enter my email address by entering only the first letter of my address is gone. (It sure would save many keystrokes if it were brought back.)

GLITCH: At Suggest a Movie, clicking on page 2 makes the screen jump back several days and not to page 2. The jump is about 6 days or so and covers more that 10 pages of suggestions.

Anyway, what are your observations?

If they can't go back to before the first changes, at least go back to the 3 month schedule on tabs. I think that was the "change for the sake of change". I gave it a year and it still sucks, so give it up ...

With the former monthly schedules, you could copy and paste the entire month as a Word document, delete the movies you didn't want to see, and within an hour you could create your personal month's schedule for easy reference. With the new format, thanks to the stupid and unnecessary live links on every actor's and director's name, links that play havoc with the font size and format when you copy the page onto Word, that same exercise now takes nearly half a day. It's the worst single thing that TCM has ever done, and it's an act of sheer sadism to continue it.

And if by some remote chance this was all about encouraging people to subscribe to Now Playing , then at least give us subscribers to that fine magazine a code number that we can use to access the old version. This new version is simply torture for anyone who wants to be able to plan ahead. These new monthly schedules are the New Coke of TCM, even if the adminstrators apparently don't want to admit it.

Well, as we all know, it was a fiasco from the start. Now, a year later, some things have been fixed and others haven't. If something hasn't been fixed by now, I doubt that it will be.

As I've said before, I don't blame the TCM folks that have to try and make it work, I'm sure the whole stupid idea came from somebody much further up the food chain. Perhaps, even some corporate exec who doesn't have enough to do.

It does appear that there are less complaints on the boards, but I suspect that except for the die-hards, people have just accepted their fate and given up any hope of more fixes.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings