Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mommie Dearest?

lyrehcgaia

I've also read that Myrna Loy thought the accusations were nonsense. She also stated that even if it were true, Christina was a dreadful daughter and probably deserved some slaps. So, who to believe? I've also read that Faye Dunaway regrets making the movie. I guess we'll never really know.

No, we WON'T. So why even argue about it? Christina Crawford could be a lying, ungrateful BRAT, or she COULD be telling the truth. Never read the book, but what I got from the movie is that in spite of it all, she loved Joan very much, and was saddened deeply at her death.

Everybody has a dark side of SOME varying shade, and to dismiss Joan Crawford's quite possible human anomalies because you're a fan is a departure from reality.

Sepiatone

Christina's recent involvment with child abuse and human rights show she is not money crazy - just the opposite. The thing that really told me she is telling the truth was on the Investigation Discovery channel "“The Will: Family Secrets Revealed - Joan Crawford".

She did got a small settlement from Joan Crawford's estate and gave every penny of it to her brother who was a veteran and beleived he deserved it more!!

Found this coat hanger on the internet - now that is Joan and Christina's worst nightmare!! :0

Ribbon coat hanger

the-ribbon-coat-rack-by-headsprung.jpg

I would have to agree that the whole “Mommie Dearest” controversy, stems from an issue of money. After all, Christina received very little, if nothing, from Joan’s estate. The best thing said about this whole ordeal was ironically from actress Faye Dunaway (having played Joan in the movie version!), who remarked: “It was a book, written out of revenge.” Faye, pretty much came to realize that Christina was driven to the point of shattering certain myths and perceptions of Joan. This was especially the case, when one considers the popular, positive imagery that Joan herself promoted from a perspective of family values. Joan was in some aspects of her life, a tyrannical, hard-knocks individual, determined to succeed towards keeping her career and star status at the highest level possible. In the process, Christina and the other children Joan adapted had to play a secondary role to this need of Joan holding on to something she fought so long and strenuous to achieve.

Joan was for all intended purposes, a great star! There can be no disputing his issue, from all the technicalities and clearly known aspects of Joan’s career. Whether or not she was a terrible mother or parent, we will never know for sure. The opinions on this issue have now fallen into the confused realm of an urban myth! These various accusations about who she really was have drawn a line between two opposing sides that pretty much relate to certain periods of time in her career, as well as her personal life away from the spotlight of movie stardom. Joan being so devoted to her profession, came to symbolize an extreme effort towards learning all she could about the motion picture business, until there wasn’t an actress around Hollywood who could hold a candle against her over this issue! This is why it’s difficult to judge Joan on the basis of a respect she garnered from many in the motion picture business, who felt that despite her tough reputation and a possible ruthless form of parenting, she remained up until the time of her death, an admired motion picture icon.

Christina Crawford has over the course of time, made her case or her side of the story to be dealt with, for all of us to decide where we want to stand on what she has proclaimed is a portion of Joan’s life that isn’t so pleasant for any of us to accept. Yet, what I don’t understand is why, during those last ten years of Joan’s life, Christina remained attached to her adapted mother? Given all the accusations of child abuse, Christina was with Joan, right up to those last moments of the great star’s life. There might be strong reason to feel a hypocrisy looming in the shadows; one of being caught by the overwhelming atmosphere of a comfort brought on by wealth and fame. We might assume there was a security that Christina latched onto, regardless of the pain she suffered from any abusive attitude on the part of Joan. Upon becoming an adult, she simply didn’t take flight from what she claims was this abusive atmosphere. Then, when Christina didn’t receive compensation for what she believed was owed to her, she openly and forcibly turned on Joan to practically destroy her legendary star image.

Christina will probably continue to profit from what she has said about Joan. It’s interesting to me that her story will be a legacy towards a sort of negativity that she in turn will never be able to find any relief from or justification to what she says was a terrible time in her life. It’s easy enough for her to have finally made her fortune on the grave of Joan, dancing over the beloved dead star’s now tarnished imagery as a situation lacking some humane aspects to be concerned about. The question now is what morals or human values does Christina place over everything she has written and said relating to her deceased mother? She might feel a certain form of forgiving Joan, but it’s now too late, because she began her quest under a cloud of a rampage that left little rationality to find a personal peace and a finality of understanding the true meaning of her life with Joan. The outcome of this ordeal, as written by Christina is now plain and clear. She sought to smear and effectively change Joan’s imagery that for the most part has in some ways come back to haunt Christina! This is only because by telling her story, she had a price to pay and that now means she will forever remain an enigma, a shadowy figure behind the bright light of a great star, who could be rough, but understood certain aspects of life that Christina failed to mention or didn’t want to reflect upon.

The Joan Crawford I came to know was quite a lady, in terms of how she conducted herself about her career and the respect she received from those who knew her well enough to say: “A tough gal, but with a heart of gold that couldn’t be so easily overlooked.” I was introduced to Joan, during those last years of her life, when she lived alone and was sometimes bored in her New York apartment. She seemed at the time a rather simple sort of woman, appearing not so much caught up within this means of being obsessed by her glamorous past. Joan did cherish and accept the adulation of the fans that noticed her on the streets of New York City; as she gave back her thanks to those who came to appreciate everything she once represented under the spotlight. Never once did Joan ever turn away a fan, always prepared to accept the numerous wonderful things said to her from people who simply remembered her star status. There might have been an egomania behind her personality to keeping alive this movie star imagery, but she was to my mind of thinking, sincere to this love and admiration she received. More than any movie star I ever had the pleasure of knowing, Joan has always been to me, the most affective, concrete, reliable individual to this situation of understanding what it takes to be a star and attempt to juggle one’s life around the spotlight of fame. It might have not been easy for anyone involved with Joan’s personal life to see her under a positive light, but we have to be fair as to what we can accept as both the truth and what benefit there is to Christina’s side of the story. It’s this issue that really bothers me about Christina’s book and the subsequent film that resulted in a tremendous amount of disagreement over who was the real Joan Crawford. And, to profit over an amount of nastiness and assumed pain also adds to a questionable definition to the motives of the story that has little in the way of a creditable outcome to say the book had any validity. I guess for Christina it doesn’t really matter, since she has made her fortune or been compensated in a rather strange and unconventional way.

Years ago, after Joan’s death, I was at one of these motion picture film festivals. While standing in the theater lobby, Christina Crawford walked in alone. A friend of mine asked, “Hey look, don’t you know her?” I replied, “Yes, I did meet her once.” My friend then asked, “Why don’t you go over and say hello?” I didn’t hesitate to say, “She ain’t got nothing to say to me and I ain’t got nothing to say to her!” End of story.

> {quote:title=kriegerg69 you wrote:

> }{quote}Then again, MP, you have no idea what really went on behind closed doors when the children were younger, do you? That's just the Joan you knew later in life, and how she presented herself in public, to her fans, or to you.

I simply do not believe all of Christina’s claims. . .PERIOD. I feel, had this woman received something suitable or acceptable to her satisfaction from Joan’s estate, there wouldn’t have been the book and she would have gone on her merry way, disappearing from sight! But then, maybe Christina should feel proud that because of her, there was launched a whole industry of smutty books, written by children of celebrities. The way I see it, she is nothing more than a two-faced, greedy, self-absorbed, lazy, emotionally problematic woman, who reminds me of a witch, spelled with a capital “B”. She had her chance years ago to make her claims so public, while Joan was still alive! Of course, she must have realized while she was sponging off of Joan, she wouldn’t have stood a ghost of a chance to stand up against Joan. It’s all too obvious to any one with any common sense that her timing to the revelations she spoke of in her book, speak for themselves towards a lack of legitimacy as far as I’m concern. It’s rather sad that she felt so compelled to cash in on Joan because she was broke and needed some extra pocket money that later turned itself into a major jackpot. I wonder if she has ever realized the difference between making a good honest living on her own and what I see in her case as taking: BLOOD MONEY.

MP, as I wrote before Myrna Loy felt the same way you do. She stqted that Christina was a dreadful girl. Ms. Loy was in a production with Christina and said she was always late, inconsiderate to everyone in the production, did not know her lines and basically ruined the production. Ms. Loy liked Joan very much and did not believe most of what Christina wrote in her book. So, MP, you are in good company.

What you have written is similar to statements I have read from people defending the Catholic church and the behavior of their priest or the Boy Scouts and scout leaders.

Again, I don't know what occured between Joan and Christina. Even if someone's motives are greed, it doesn't mean what they are saying isn't true.

> {quote:title=MovieProfessor wrote:}{quote}

> I simply do not believe all of Christina’s claims. . .PERIOD.

> I feel, had this woman received something suitable or acceptable to her satisfaction from Joan’s estate, there wouldn’t have been the book and she would have gone on her merry way, disappearing from sight!

> The way I see it, she is nothing more than a two-faced, greedy, self-absorbed, lazy, emotionally problematic woman, who reminds me of a witch, spelled with a capital “B”. She had her chance years ago to make her claims so public, while Joan was still alive!

"I simply do not believe...PERIOD", "I feel..", and "The way I see it" are just your own opinion, and are NOT factual or based on what REALLY happened. Naturally, if Christina had spilled the beans while Joan was alive, things wouldn't have turned out the same way because Joan would naturally have DENIED everything. Why do you think Joan pretty much left Christina NOTHING, if Joan wasn't truly...out of the public eye...as she was written about in the book? She adopts the kids and then leaves them zilch when she dies? Go figure....

LOL (pic) People (particularly famous ones) dont always act the same way behind closed doors as they do in public. Christina's brother backed up her claims (while he was alive). I found it interesting in The Will episode last year on the DatelineID channel one of her teachers backed up her story also from that period in her life. It cant all be lies........I've no doubt the motive was revenge, but if the stories are true, I cant really blame her.........particularly after that "For reasons known to them..." None of her kids got much money, it was all left to charity. One of the daughters even had to go on Welfare and the other sold her Oscar to get some money. Charity begins at home, Joan........

She should be ashamed of herself. She said that she thinks Joan was jealous of her, but she was jealous of Joan! She had the fame and talent in one little finger that she could never have! She is nothing but a liar who thought that she could get revenge on the woman who took her in when she was a orphan. She served not getting a penny from Joan! I'm going to start cursing, that's how much of a liar she is! Long live the real image of Joan- a glamorous kind-hearted movie star!

NormaSheaerGirl . . . You and I are on the same team!

Let’s not forget or be clear on the simple issue that Christina profited from this venture. She was able to acquire a good amount of wealth, denied to her by Joan, for reasons that Christina never made comprehensible from the standpoint of being disinherited. There has always been this hidden agenda between Joan and Christina that ultimately led to this unpleasant disclosure that to this day has been under a vast amount of arguments. It might be one thing to show your dirty laundry in public, but it’s an entirely different and serious matter, when you light a few matches and suddenly the house burns down without some rational explanation as to what went wrong. This whole ordeal for me is one that has Christina toying with the minds of those who feel so devoted to Joan and as to say to us we were all along duped, with Christina proclaiming: I’m right because I was there and lived with this woman. Well, that might be a strong case in Christina’s favor, but by going ahead with the telling of this story about Joan, her motives have to be closely scrutinized, resulting in the one main reason why she felt so compelled to write the book . . .She was broke! I can just see Christina’s publisher, asking her to sauce it up and give her story more punch. The whole idea as I see it was a person who went off on a binge of negativity in order to ensure her book would be noticed. What better way to get enough attention, by entering the realm of tabloid smut and then coming across as a tear soaked, helpless victim, at the mercy of a powerful and reckless celebrity. Oh come on now . . . Who’s she kidding? Well, it ain’t me! After all, show business is in this woman’s blood and she sure knows how to exploit it!

It’s very, very simple to understand that those last years of Joan’s life, Christina was supposedly a comfort to Joan. I can testify to this personally, having seen them on occasions throughout New York City, having what appeared to be a moderately good relationship. Christina and Joan could be seen, hand in hand, showing up at parties and special galas. This was a situation that didn’t require anyone to wear a mask! The movie version of the book, covered this situation quite well. All was fine, until the reading of the will that signified Christina would get nothing back from her mentor and mother. It wouldn’t take long for a whole new mood-swing to come into the picture and Christina was off and running towards a dark-side of Joan, with no apparently good reason to explain why she wrote her book, other than to give credence on a level of vengeance that opened this new door to areas provoking others to seek fortunes in what can be assumed as a tell-all book, filled with high degrees of tormenting behavior. The problem as I see it is there is no remorse towards an understanding or a need to clarify the motives. Christina’s story becomes too sensational and lacks a simple means to seek trustworthiness or an acceptance from the formality of the story. What we are left with is not someone who should have cried for help or been able at the proper time to escape and flee. If Joan had been so horrible, why then did Christina stick around and for such a long time? It just doesn’t make any sense, unless she was expecting a big payoff at the end of this ordeal.

I could never trust or believe anyone who cries “Wolf” to then sell the dead carcass of the Wolf to the highest bidder, to put it on display and show-off all its horrible fangs that were alleged to have slaughtered the poor little sheep! And for what? Well, I guess the public likes a good horror story or it just makes for a good seller! If anyone can’t figure that one out, then I guess they want to see the world through rose colored glasses! My blatant defiance of this woman is due to her making Joan a villain to the point that she must be owed something in return, because of the torment Christina claims Joan placed her through, while for years she remained close to Joan? The interesting thing about Christina is the way in which she’s even changed her story, especially during television interviews, thereby not sticking so closely to her written accounts in the book. She’s even added more spice to this tale, making Joan a wild and out of control alcoholic. If anything has been added to this story, it’s Christina’s excuse of Joan being a heavy drinker and therefore leading to so many more abusive events. Every chance Christina gets, she paints a new picture of Joan and it’s never pleasant. It’s become her livelihood and this is where she gets into deep trouble with all the criticism launched against her; and I’ve always been one of them in the forefront to speak up about how she has handled her story! Of course, I’m aware that after all these years, it doesn’t surprise me she hasn’t found any need to stop with this routine. . .Why? Well, her bankroll just keeps getting bigger and bigger, greater and greater than even what wealth Joan had. Perhaps the time hasn’t yet come for Christina to finally say, “I did have the last word!” Or, “Vengeance is mine!” Or, even still, she’s turned out like the out-of-control mother she wrote about? I guess the apple doesn’t really fall far from the tree?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings