Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who was the most versatile actress from Hollywood's Golden Age?

The Reader is probably my favorite of Winslet's. Putting aside the love interest aspect (lol...), I loved how it progresses toward the end where she is on trial. Her acting there especially impressed me - I was drawn into the story more fully and was really paying attention to what she was saying and her reactions.

I thought she deserved the nomination more for Revolutionary Road, but I was impressed by both performances. Liked both movies (talk about downbeat! LOL)

Oh, wow, here is something really funny/ironic that just came to my mind...!

I was thinking of the Winslet movies I've seen and I remembered The Holiday. Well, in the movie she is talking with Jack Black and they mention the classic stars they really like (I think one of the other characters was connected to Old Hollywood), and Winslet says enthusiastically how much she loved Stanwyck in The Lady Eve. :)

Anyway, a tie-in to Stanwyck again... ;)

(Update): Yes, I saw that "Little Children" movie you mention. That was downbeat and distubing, but she was good in that, too.

Edited by: EugeniaH on Mar 8, 2012 11:31 AM

*She did "Top Secret Affair" with Kirk Douglas.*

Now there's a comic team---Kirk Douglas and Susan Hayward.

Along with TSA, she starred in another comedy about 3 years later, THE MARRIAGE-GO-ROUND wiht James Mason. The quote I used re; her comedy timing a critic stated when reviewing one of these films (don't remember which just now), probably TSA since both stars were not renowned for their comedy technique. Incidentally, this was originally intended for Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall, before his terminal illness precluded it.

I'd forgotten about Marriage-Go-Round. That must've been a dud at the box office.....didnt Claudette Colbert star in the Broadway version? Were Bogie and Bacall to star in TSA? Marriage-Go-Round came out around 1960. Bogie was long dead..........

Yes, Hayward excelled in the boozy, bawdy broad roles but not in comedy or musicals. But I think she starred in a production of "Mame" which was staged in Las Vegas. Not successfully. Does anyone else know about this? Read it in her bio yrs ago. Pauline Kael commented once on how she liked the younger fresher Hayward in roles like "Deadline at Dawn" before she calcified into the fifties "I'm gonna win an Oscar for this one if it kills me" actress. Whatever, I like her but I'm still sticking to my guns: Barbara, Barbara, Barbara! As for Kate Winslet, I like her very much though not in "The Reader" did not find her convincing as she aged. Much better in "Little Children." And yes in today's cinema La Meryl is yhe most versatile-so happy she won for "The Iron(Man)Lady."

Does anyone else know about this? Read it in her bio yrs ago. Pauline Kael commented once on how she liked the younger fresher Hayward in roles like "Deadline at Dawn" before she calcified into the fifties "I'm gonna win an Oscar for this one if it kills me" actress.

I didn't read this quote of Kael's but I thought Hayward was terrific in I'll Cry Tomorrow.

Yes, I remember all the hoopla about Hayward in Mame (Vegas version) but I'm hazy on the details. I think she had to drop out or something. I dont think it ran long. I cant really picture her in the part, but her singing voice wasnt bad (sometimes she was dubbed, but they did use her voice in films, cant remember which one or ones right now......) I think the show was truncated as well (cant keep them too long from the gambling tables.......)

I think they used her real voice in I'll Cry Tomorrow.......

Edited by: Hibi on Mar 8, 2012 3:59 PM

Funny Susan Hayward story. She did a made for TV movie (last?) "Say Goodbye Maggie Cole" I must have been about 10 yrs old when I watched it. I cried. You know you're gay when you cry at Susan Hayward movies at the tender age of 10! In my own defense it was very moving.

• 1 year later...