Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movie Taras Bulba(,1962) Tony Curtis ,Yul Brynner

cassandras

It airs rarely, or it did. Look for it to show up on somebody's birthday salute. It's not very good. Though Tony Curtis is a game player, a Brooklyn accent doesn't fit well in an Eastern European setting. The cavalry sequences are very well shot.

No, but I wouldn't mind seeing it.

I hope it's better than other Hollywood adaptations of Russian novels. I don't think Gogol is the right author to put on the big screen, though, especially in a non-Russian film.

But I still want to see it just for kicks.

Taras Bulba is one of those films that you watch much like a venomous snake afraid to remain where you are and afraid to take your eyes off it to escape. Yul Brenner shamelessly over acts in every scene and Tony's mind was focused upon his co-star whom he later married and divorced. The Battle scenes are very good in this film and make it enjoyable if you can past the trials and dialogue of the Bulba family.

>As stjohnrv:

>The Battle scenes are very good in this film and make it enjoyable if you can past the trials and dialogue of the Bulba family.

Yes, this is a point I'd like to emphasize. Most directors don't do a good job of making a cavalry charge feel energetic and powerful. But director J. Lee Thompson (The Guns of Navarone, Cape Fear) managed to do it well, capturing the flow of the mass of horse and make it exciting to look at, even on a small screen. Something you'd wish he'd done with the rest of the movie.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw in 3 times during its original release. I loved it. I thought it was one of the most beautiful films I had ever seen. I understand that current versions of the film are from inferior sources. I never saw it again, but I can't imagine not still liking something about it.

• 10 months later...

Absolutely correct that this movie needs a restoration. The backscreen pjojection has separated and the characters in the foreground have fuzzy outlines.

Of course, it doesn't help that Tony Curtis is almost the same age as Yul Brynner, but this is a fun movie with a lively music score.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings