Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

movies shown too soon

mikegee

i have noticed that the same movie is shown like within a week of seeing it. or maybe as soon as twice in the same month might be a better way of saying it. with all the movies made in the 30s, 40s & 50s will TCM be getting any new movies in that date range?? i am still watching all the old ones but a change would be nice. i would hate to start watching newer by date movies. they are not the same to me.

The worst thing is when they take a truly great movie and consign it in the overnight part of the schedule. High and Low is returning for the first time in two years on April 1st---at 2:30 AM. The last time it ran, it ended at 1:00 AM. It'd be nice to show movies like that in prime time rather than an endless parade of mindless "Spring Break" movies that run together like so many flies on a windowsill.

TCM repeating a film within a week or a month after showing really doesn't bother me. It's nice to be able to record a film that I missed, or redo one that was messed up by an emergency broadcast network test, weather warning, thunder storm or just poor picture quality. I do agree that the times for subsequent showings of the same film should be varied. Also my DVD recorder gets a break when some of the "usual suspects" are shown ad infinitum.

InFlynn wrote:

TCM repeating a film within a week or a month after showing really doesn't bother me. It's nice to be able to record a film that I missed, or redo one that was messed up by an emergency broadcast network test, weather warning, thunder storm or just poor picture quality. I do agree that the times for subsequent showings of the same film should be varied. Also my DVD recorder gets a break when some of the "usual suspects" are shown ad infinitum.

You "forgot" to mention one little (to the majority of those who are engaged here) thing. Missing from your list is a disaster which *COX COMMUNICATIONS,* my (monopoly) cable provider, refers to as "switched digital video". This arrogant cable "service" may, at the very least (under the circumstances described below), add a large one-minute warning message on your TV screen if you remain tuned via your cable box to one channel (such as TCM) for more than six hours.

This message tells the viewer to press a key on the remote in order to ensure that the reception of this channel will continue without interruption! If this message is ignored, the picture may then freeze until the channel is changed. It is difficult to imagine how the viewer can press this button on the remote *while asleep* and the recorder is operating under a preset program. This only occurs to a viewer who is using his/her own DVD recorder. As might be expected, since very few users choose to use their own recorders, this warning and a possible subsequent channel dropout does not occur *if the viewer is renting a (tivo-type) recorder from Cox*. In other words, Cox is not worried about a miniscule reaction from its subscriber base to this unacceptable type of TV service disruption.

The icing on Cox's cake is the fact that, under current FCC rules, cable company regulation is ceded to the Local Franchising Authority (LFA). The LFA in my area of the country chooses to look the other way and (for whatever reason, real or imagined) permit Cox to do what it pleases without interference from any governmental authority. Do you suppose that Cox is being assured of this freedom from governmental interference comes for free?

Those of you who use their own DVD recorders for recording TCM movies and are pondering whether or not to subscribe to Cox Communications' so-called cable TV "service" might have some second thoughts about making such a decision. One thing is certain; Cox is not going to disclose to them what I have described above, either before or after (too late) it is discovered. TCM fans deserve better than Cox's switched digital video nightmare!

musikone

i can see once in a while. but i have seen "george wash slept here" just last week i think it was. some movies i do agree i can watch over and over. i know which ones should they pick? i also know they prob only have so many they can show. i also agree with another post on here about showing good movies in the early AM. i guess i just needed something to b ____ about, lol

I think a valid reason for showing the same movie twice in a month would be because they showed it from 1 - 7 AM the first time. Showing it again, NOT during that time frame would be welcome.

Otherwise, unless it is some special event (e.g. a actor dies and they have a special), they should try to not show something twice in the same month or even quarter.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings