Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Replaced score

Sepiatone

I remember one time, back in the days before cable, running across *High Noon* on a Saturday afternoon. I had seen it before, but as it was winter, the snow was already shovelled, and there was nothing on the remaining two channels, I decided to view it again.

But it seemed different somehow. THEN it hit me! The original score was replaced by something that sounded more like the music you'd hear in a late '60's Sergio Leoni "Spagetti Western", Heavily fuzzed electric guitar and all!

Any of you run across anything like this before?

Sepiatone

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote}

> I remember one time...running across *High Noon...*

> The original score was replaced by something that sounded more like the music you'd hear in a late '60's Sergio Leoni "Spagetti Western", Heavily fuzzed electric guitar and all!

>

> Any of you run across anything like this before?

>

>

> Sepiatone

>

That kind of thing was done to some of the mid-1930's public domain John Wayne movies that I saw on Encore Westerns a few year ago (and being a fan of those, I HATED what they did to them!!).

But I've never seen (heard) it done to HIGH NOON or any more famous or non-PD films the way the John Waynes were ruined by that added "music".

It would have been much easier to do such a thing to those Wayne films because many of them had very little or no music. High Noon would be much more difficult to alter because they'd have to have access to the film's audio recordings...they couldn't just simply "layer" new music in there. There's also the issue of copyright on High Noon...they couldn't simply alter the music without permission....those Wayne films, as was pointed out, were public domain and could be tampered with.

> {quote:title=kriegerg69 wrote:

> }{quote}It would have been much easier to do such a thing to those Wayne films because many of them had very little or no music. High Noon would be much more difficult to alter because they'd have to have access to the film's audio recordings...they couldn't just simply "layer" new music in there. There's also the issue of copyright on High Noon...they couldn't simply alter the music without permission....those Wayne films, as was pointed out, were public domain and could be tampered with.

Yes, exactly. And then after the perpetrators had defaced the John Wayne movies with their added scoring they could copyright them as their own new works.

All I know is what I heard. That someone couldn't find info about it online doesn't surprise me...I've learned at the cost of too much wasted time that you can't find everything out on the net. Or if you're trying to find information on some things, the only thing you'll get are links to websites that will gladly sell you a book.

I thought it was part of a re-distribution package at the time, put together by possibly a foreign market with the replaced music being an attempt to interest a younger market. Couldn't really say.

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings