Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

looking for the name of two old movies

camez

the first is about two sisters of a well to do family. Both sisters like a man that has come back into town. The older sister (a blonde, I think) takes the guy to a local party where they all drink too much. She decides to drive home while he is passed out in the car. She ends up killing a local poor man and leaves his family with no income. She takes off and has the guy take the fall and never mentions anything. Her sister finds out the truth by finding a white glove left behind in the car. The younger sister ends up waiting for the guy to get out of jail and they end up together.

the second I remember less details but a man ends up in a bar with a woman in the middle of the day. Somehow she ends up staying with him in his apartment. I think the man was dumped or something. The man kind of grooms the woman to have class and the two fall in love. It has a bit of a eliza doolite feel to it.

both are black and white and I want to say 1930's or early 40's

It's definitely not *In This Our Life*- the only similiar plot element is Bette and Olivia are sisters, and yes Bette has a hit and run but blames it on a young man who's the son of a servant, not her boyfriend. Robert Cummings goes to jail in And One was Beautiful for the crime. He's the love object for both sisters.It's the exact plot of *And One Was Beautiful.*

Edited by: lavenderblue19 on Mar 10, 2012 1:18 PM

Hey, we need to see this! :)

"And One Was Beautiful" 1940

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032205/

A woman lets a family friend take the blame after she accidentally runs over a man with a car.

---

Had no idea what I was going to experience viewing this old film from 1940. However, I always enjoy viewing Laraine Day, (Katie Lattimer) who plays the role as a younger sister to Jean Muir, (Helen Lattimer) and also their mother, Billie Burke, (Mrs. Julia Lattimer). Thought I was going to be bored with the story of two sister's and a mother who is overly protective of her daughters until they meet up with Robert Cummings, (Ridley Crane) who has the reputation of being a millionaire playboy who has plenty of gals and is a heavy drinker who parties all the time. One night, Helen Lattimer goes on a date with Ridley and he proceeds to get bombed out of his mind and simply cannot drive his car. It is at this point in the film when this becomes a drama and changes the complete direction of this film which will definitely hold your attention right to the very end of the film.

---

One night, Cummings is out with the older sister and he's stinking drunk. Against everyone's advice, he drives home but the older sister won't get in the car with him. Later, though, as she's walking home, he drives up and soon passes out in front of her. The sister then gets in the car to drive him home. Unfortunately, on the way home she accidentally hits and kills a bicylist but leaves the scene. No one knows she was driving and the next day Cummings is arrested for the crime. The sister, being a weasel, says nothing and is very happy to have him take the rap.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings