Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GIRL MISSING (1933)--anyone else dig it?

markbeckuaf

Just caught this from the other day on TCM, and man, what a cool pre-code flick! Gold diggers Glenda Farrell and Mary Brian (OMG, she is soooooo pretty!!!!) dig in big time and get caught up in a murder and kidnap mystery! Gotta love it! Ben Lyon is always kinda weak as a leading dude, but he's nice enough, but I couldn't wait to get more and more of Mary Brian, wow! Glenda was her usual sassy self, and the dialogue snapped along at the usual WB pre-code pace! Love old time mysteries and love pre-codes, and this one combined them in a very cool way! Groove!

They showed 7 straight pre-codes on Tuesday and I'm glad I recorded all of them. Molly Louvain has been the best of the lot so far, but your recommedation has moved Girl Missing to the top of my queue, especially since it's got my girl Glenda in it. I'm going to need every last DVD off my backlog to survive that unimaginably horrible April schedule.

Andy, for pre-code lovers, like yours truly, Tuesday was like The Holy Grail! :) I totally dug it, I've recorded all of them, and finally having a chance to catch up with them today! Really grooving hard! I agree that MOLLY LOUVAIN was probably the best. I'm checking out THE SILK EXPRESS right now, which is probably one of the least racy of the flix, but I'm a sucker for old school mystery flix!

GIRL MISSING really had it all going for it! Sexy, sassy and mystery all in one! And my heart is still beating hard for Mary Brian! :) Glenda always gets me going and I expected that, but Mary was a more than pleasant surprise! I'm sure I've seen her before, but she really sparkled here!

The bits between Glenda and the police inspector (Edward Ellis) was the stuff that dreams are made of! WB pre-code snap-crackle-pop at it's zenith!

> {quote:title=markbeckuaf wrote:

> }{quote}GIRL MISSING really had it all going for it! Sexy, sassy and mystery all in one! And my heart is still beating hard for Mary Brian! Glenda always gets me going and I expected that, but Mary was a more than pleasant surprise! I'm sure I've seen her before, but she really sparkled here!

>

> The bits between Glenda and the police inspector (Edward Ellis) was the stuff that dreams are made of! WB pre-code snap-crackle-pop at it's zenith!

Mark,

I agree, Tuesday on TCM was one of the best days ever! Thanks, TCM!

And I totally agree about the beautiful Mary Brian. I've long been a fan/admirer of hers. She is someone who, beacuse she did most of her work at a studio (Paramount) we don't see enough of on TCM, still may not have been discovered by many TCM viewers.

Just finished watching this minor classic, and were you ever right----it was even better than I'd hoped. Glenda's right up there with Joan Blondell as my favorite pre-code gum-snapper, and AFAIC this was her best role yet, even better than she was as Paul Muni's tormentor in Hi, Nellie , or as Sybil Jason's protector in Little Big Shot . I don't remember if she's ever had a SUTS day, but brother, does she ever deserve one. Silk Express was very good, too---nice twist at the end---but anyone who's recorded Girl Missing and put it on the back burner should know just what a treat they're in for.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings