Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Song Title

lubovics

lubovics wrote:Would someone post the title of the song that is played on this program throughout the day.

Thank You

Perhaps you are referring to the rousing orchestral introduction of the Brahms First Piano Concerto in Dm.

musikone

lubovics wrote:Would you please tell me the name of the orchestra thaat plays Brahms First Piano Concerto, I love this song and would like to buy it. Thank You

This is a much-loved and consequently much-recorded composition for piano and orchestra. Brahms wrote two piano concertos. I think that you will like them both, and there are many excellent recordings of these concertos, either singly or in combination.

As the simplest procedure for you to use, I suggest that you go to the Amazon website and purchase the 2-CD collection containing both concertos, along with a Brahms Fantasia. The orchestra is the highly regarded Berlin Philharmonic conducted by Eugen Jochum; the pianist is the great (this word is practically owned by TCM's Robert Osborne) Russian pianist Emil Gilels.

Of course, you will find numerous references to many other recordings of these same concertos by doing a Google search (assuming that you know how to do this).

And finally, I have no connection to any sellers of this or any other recording.

musikone

(as the name implies)

Edited by: musikone on Mar 10, 2012 12:32 PM

Back in the day, I had it on vinyl by the Concertgabow (conductor forgotten) and Claudio Arrau on piano. I also had a vinyl LP of it by the Berlin symphony and Herbert VonKarajan with Lazar Berman on piano. I've yet to replace it on CD.

Sepiatone

>Would someone post the title of the song that is played on this program throughout the day.

What program are you talking about? Promos for movies coming up on TCM? Advertisements for DVDs? Music played in-between the movies?

lubovics wrote:The music that is played throughout the day in between progrrams.

This is exactly where I heard the Brahms First Piano Concerto that I mentioned in response to your post! Unfortunately, the music played througout the day in-between programs is highly variable in nature. Thus your statement is not sufficiently precise for the identification of just one of many varied types of music.

As I remember from your first post on this issue, you mentioned classical music, which seemed to indicate that the Brahms concerto, which *is* played between movies, was what you were looking for. Now you have narrowed down the search to what we refer to as "pop" music with a Latino beat, not so-called "classical" music. Again, this latest attempt is probably insufficient for its identification.

There are, of course, sophisticated music programs for presenting the "mystery" piece here *in such a form* that it can be identified by one who possesses the knowledge of the musical repertoire of this genre. However, it appears that you neither have access to these programs nor the musical know-how to use them. Chances are that, if you possessed this know-how, you would also probably know the identity of the particular piece of music that you are hearing in-between the movies.

For these reasons, I cannot see any practical solution to identifying the piece of music that you are interested in--unless you somehow or another happen to stumble upon the answer.

musikone

*"As Icomputer,I am new to the computer, would you advise me on how I can geet access to these music programs. I greatly appreeciat yourr help. Thank you "* - lubovics

By chance, are you watching TCM in a country other than the United States (or Canada)? If so, none of the members here will be very helpful. This website pertains only to TCM USA and is the version that we all watch. And in the United States, there is no single piece of music performed between films.

There are many different TCM chanels across the world. You can see some of them - like TCM UK - listed at the bottom of this page. Each of the other TCM chanels listed below have their own websites and you can access them by clicking on the name.

If I am mistaken and you are watching TCM in the US, you will have to be a bit more specific in describing when you heard this piece of music and what was on the TV when you heard it.

Kyle In Hollywood

I think I might know what the gentleman is referring to. There's a bit of music TCM uses in it's promos for website sales and upcoming features. That latino beat was the clue. Actually sir, I think it's possibly some untitled "filler" created specifically for just such a purpose, recorded by studio musicians. If/when I hear it again, I'll try to jot down just when and what was going on at the time so we can hopefully and satisfactorilly settle this.

Sepiatone

If the OP is referring to the US channel, it's likely that the music is from a music library that TCM pays for the use of.

Most of their "filler" music comes from there.

If they use a modern song they try to keep the costs down. Case in point, the one used in the Jean Harlow STOM promo last year, looks like the cost of using that song was shared with TNT. TNT used the song to promote its series *Rizzoli and Isles* and TCM used it for the Harlow promo. Kept the price down for both channels.

They do bite the bullet and pay for the year-end *In Memoriam* tribute songs that are used. Those songs don't appear to be used on other Turner channels.

> I heaard it around 8pm last nite. Thank you

Can you tell us what time zone you are in and what country? Last night around 8pm, there was a Clifton Webb movie playing on TCM. *For Heaven's Sake* began at 7:45. Before that, was a short, *The Law and the Lab*.

As soon as the short finished, it went into the nightly intro for Robert O. Robert O introduced *For Heaven's Sake* and the movie began on time.

OK. I think I know what we are trying to name.

After *The Razor's Edge*, a "TCM Extras" short subject film was shown. The quick lead-in to the short subject (all TCM short subjects, actualy) has a latin guitar / "bolero" instrumental soundtrack. It probably lasts no more than 10 seconds.

It is doubtful this piece of music is commercially available. It is most likely a recording made for TCM. This music piece was first used by TCM during the "Race In Hollywood: Latino Images On Film" series back in 2009.

Now, while the recording heard on TCM may not be for sale, one can find recordings of similar latin guitar music. Unfortunately, the only ones I know are Andre Segovia or Christopher Parkenining. Perhaps others can offer some suggestions.

Later today, a short subject about Will Rogers is scheduled just before the start of *I Was A Male War Bride*. (7:55pm EDT) Check that out to confirm that this is the music piece you are curious about.

Kyle In Hollywood

*"Hello, that is the song I am looking for!!!!!!!!"* - lubovics

Well, good. Glad we got that part of the mystery resolved.

But unfortunately I don't think there is any way you can purchase that specific piece of music. And I don't know if anyone will even be able to find a name or performer/group for that piece.

I am not an expert on latin music but I do believe the style heard in the piece on TCM is called "bolero", or is part of that genre. You may be able to find similar recordings searching Amazon or other music sites using that term.

Maybe some other members can better guide you on your search.

Kyle In Hollywood

lubovics -

You're welcome for the help. My pleasure.

I want to add that if you "search" for "boleros", use the phrase "latin bolero". This will hopefully remove all references to the famous classical piece named "Bolero" by Ravel.

Kyle In Hollywood

lubovics wrote:As Icomputer,I am new to the computer, would you advise me on how I can geet access to these music programs. I greatly appreeciat yourr help. Thank you

This is not something that can be learned quickly! There is a whole lot of knowledge involved here, assuming that you want something other than to look up a music album at a company like Amazon, for example, and just buy it.

But if you want something more adventuresome, such as getting cheap or even free music that you get either by "streaming" or "downloading" from the internet, this is an entirely different type of activity, which involves a lot more than simply buying a CD off the shelf.

I see now that you have found that particular music that you have been looking for between regular-length movies on the TCM web site. I believe, as does Kyle, that this is specially composed music for TCM that is not available in commercial form.

I will listen for it and see if I have anything similar, with a name that I know, now that I know at least one "style" of music that you like. Although I have a huge collection of guitar music (solo or with orchestra or with vocal accompaniment) from which to recommend something to you, you may not be interested in the style of music.

If you thinkg that you might like classical guitar music with a Brazilian flavor, I would suggest that you search out the composer Heitor Villa-Lobos, who has written some outstanding music for this instrument, with or without vocals, both classical and semi-popular.

On a more popular side, look up (try a Google search on the computer) the music of the Brazilian composer *Antonio Carlos Jobim*, whose music (short pieces) you will probably love, as do I.

musikone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings