Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

IDEAS FOR FUTURE DVD BOX SETS

I thought of five classic films that could fit perfectly into a WB DVD box set that might be called: CLASSIC FILMS FROM CLASSIC BOOKS: ROMEO AND JULIET, DAVID COPPERFIELD, THE GOOD EARTH, ADVENTURES OF HUCKLEBERRY FINN (1939) and PRIDE AND PREJUDICE. Also, I would like to see a double feature of both versions BARRETTS OF WIMPOLE STREET. Is anyone out there from WB listening? Any ideas for other possible sets?

Since you asked......

Mario Lanza Set including SERENADE in letterbox

Jeannette MacDonald/Nelson Eddy set

Lana Turner set - including DANCING COED which I always miss whenever it is aired

A classic MGM silents- John Gilbert set with the LA BOHEME, THE MERRY WIDOW, THE FLESH AND THE DEVIL, THE BIG PARADE and at least one example of his legendary early "talkies" that ruined his career.

And I love your classic books set, and hope they do it along with a Technicolor restoration of the Gene Kelly-Lana Turner-June Allyson version of THE THREE MUSKETEERS

Finally, an Esther Williams set - that one would sell big, believe me.

I keep hoping that TURNER is working on a second boxed set of Lon Chaney movies. It would be nice to own "official" issues of He Who Gets Slapped, Tell it to the Marines, West of Zanzibar, Mr. Wu and others that have aired on the network. And how about adding the incomplete While the City Sleeps as a London After Midnight-type bonus?

I know I've mentioned it before, but I'd love to see a Norma Shearer set. And I hope Warners is still working on the Astarire/Rogers set, as well as the one for Greta Garbo. Garbo's is supposed to come out this year, but I haven't heard anything about it yet.

And edgdrv - the classic books idea is great. Hopefully someone from Warners does take note.

How about a Greer Garson & Walter Pidgeon box set? I would love it also if someone would release Frances Dee and Joel McCrea's four films on DVD. And a Norma Shearer set, and a Ginger Rogers set, and a complete set of William Powell & Myrna Loy's movies, not just the Thin Man Series, and, and, and...

I second the motion for a Norma Shearer box set--especially now that the legit VHS copies of her films are pretty much dead and buried. (Forty bucks minimum for a used copy of "Private Lives" over at Amazon? WHAT?!?) And especially, especially now that Turner's trotted out that great new documentary about Irving Thalberg, Norma deserves her set. C'mon, Turner, pop open the vaults!

I'm so glad to see that there's others who would like to see a Norma Shearer set. Hopefully someone from Warners takes notice and puts them out. And yes, it would be great to see the Irving Thalberg documentary included. They could do a set of her films that were produced by him. That would be great!

I wish Universal would give us a boxed set of all their other fright flicks from the 40s--like "Night Monster," "The Mad Ghoul," "Captive Wild Woman," etc. And from the early 30s, "The Black Cat" and "The Raven." My tapes are nearly worn out."Doctor X" from Warner Brothers of l933 is another beautiful early Technicolor chiller, starring the Queen of Screams, Fay Wray, and Lionel Atwill.

How about a Hildegard Withers/Oscar Piper boxed set?? They could have all six of the films.

"The Penguin Pool Murder" 1932

"Murder On the Blackboard" 1934

"Murder On A Honeymoon" 1935

"Murder On A Bridle Path" 1936

"The Plot Thickens" 1936

"Forty Naughty Girls" 1937

Now, the first three of these films are the best, but in order to have all of the Wither/Piper films, then all 6 should be in the boxed set.

Patypancake - Your post made me think of Betty Grable. Now there's a star who deserves a box set! Fox should restore all of her Technicolor musicals and release them together, what a great set that would be, and I'll bet it would sell well too. They could include "Moon Over Miami," "Springtime in the Rockies," "Pin Up Girl," "The Dolly Sisters," etc.

Patypancake--I think I would give a week's salary to have all of those Universal Studios monster films from the 1940's and 1950's on DVD. The ones I remember the most are "The Spider Woman Strikes Back" with Gale Sondergaard and Rondo Hatton, "Murder in the Blue Room" (which was a comedy/murder/mystery), "The Black Cat" with Gale Sondergaard, Broderick Crawford and Bela Lugosi (another murder/comedy/mystery) and also, I wonder why when Universal came out with the boxed sets of Dracula, Frankenstein and the others, they did not come out with a boxed set of "Phantom of the Opera", as they had 3 versions of this film, 1925, 1943 and 1962--or the Acquanetta films of "Captive Wild Woman", "Jungle Woman" and doggonit--I can't think of the third one. LOL

I would love to see a DVD of the now fully technicolor restoration of the 1943 PHANTOM OF THE OPERA. Forget all you have ever seen unless you have seen this version.

This with the followup-THE CLIMAX.

In addition to Betty Grable, I think Alice Faye is very deserving of a box set. I believe FOX CLASSICS is due to release IN OLD CHICAGO. I would like to see a good print of Grable's LADY IN ERMINE and THE SHOCKING MISS PILGRIM.

As I mentioned in another thread, THE BIG PARADE has just had a major restoration. I would like to see a King Videor box set to include the above and THE CROWD, SHOW PEOPLE with Marian Davies and LA BOHEME with Lillian Gish. This would make a great set of silent films. Again, I hope WB is listening or looking in.

The King Vidor set sounds great edg - excellent idea. Perhaps they'll do another "TCM Vaults" release of his films, like they did for Lon Chaney. It would be nice if they included "The Champ" in the Vidor set as well.

• 5 months later...

I'd like to see a Lucille Ball set with BEST FOOT FORWARD, DU BARRY WAS A LADY, THE LONG LONG TRAILER, FOREVER DARLING, and MAME.

THREE LITTLE WORDS, ROYAL WEDDING, and THE BELLE OF NEW YORK would be good choices for a Fred Astaire at MGM set.

A Mario Lanza set wouldn't hurt.

I'd love to see a Garland/Rooney set with BABES IN ARMS, BABES ON BROADWAY, STRIKE UP THE BAND, GIRL CRAZY, WORDS AND MUSIC, and one or two of their better known Andy Hardy films.

And I'll re-state my vote for a BROADWAY MELODY set which I could envision including all four BROADWAY MELODY films (1929, 1936, 1938, and 1940), as well as BROADWAY RHYTHM, whose original title was to be Broadway Melody of 1944. BM 1940 came out a couple years ago as part of the Cole Porter set, but I'm sure it could be repackaged with a Broadway Melody set. Of course, if I had my way, they would have included THE PIRATE with the Cole Porter set and saved BM 1940 for a Broadway Melody set. Oh well, when all four (ok, five, depending on how you look at it) Broadway Melody movies are on DVD (2 down, 2 to go), I'll be one happy camper! Till then...

I really like what Universal has done with their Ma & Pa Kettle movies on DVD. They have the first 8 films out on DVD in 2 volumes, each volume one double sided disc (2 films per side, which is doable I suppose, since none of the films are overly long). I've read on Amazon.com that a number of people have had problems playing the discs. They play fine for me. My only gripe is that while the first 4 films are on Vol. 1 and the second four are on Vol 2, as we would expect, they are not transferred sequentially within each respective volume, ie, the first and thrid films are on the same side, and you have to flip the disc over for the second and fourth (if you wanted to watch them in sequence). Still a couple of very praiseworthy releases.

Marion Davies ----- Going Hollywood, Blondie of the Follies, Five and Ten, Peg o My Heart, Operator 13, Marianne, Not So Dumb, Ever Since Eve, Cain and Mabel, Page Miss Glory, The Bachelor Father, The Florodora Girl, OR

a collection of her silent films: Show People, The Patsy, Little Old New York, When Knighthood Was in Flower and whatever else still exists......

These films are all from different studios. Paramount will be releasing DETECTIVE STORY on October 25. I WALK ALONE is also a Paramount release, LUST FOR LIFE is an MGM release and the other two are from UA. So much for a box set.

Hmm let's see...

I'd like to see a screwball set, with maybe "The Awful Truth", ""The Lady Eve", "My Favorite Wife", "Love Crazy" and just about any other good one you can think of.

Also, I'd like to see the Universal "Marlene Dietrich Collection" reproduced on DVD.

It might be fun to have a pre-code set withgood movies in it. I saw one, but the only good one it had was "Of Human Bondage." "Babyface," "Women They Talk About" "She Done Him Wrong" or "I'm No Angel", "The Divorcee" or "A Free Soul" and again, any other goodies they might want to throw in.

I would love to have a Dietrich collection...please!!! Especially from the Sternberg era and some extra doc footage would be nice too. I do not like to admit what I paid for VHS copies of Devil is a Woman, Shanghai Express, Blonde Venus and Dishonored!! Oh, A Foreign Affair should find its way to DVD too!!!