Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ben's New Set

yanceycravat

I thought Ben's new set looked pretty cool. Definitely a departure for the original image they wanted to project. Hip and cool.

This set seemed to me to be "old Hollywood". The living room of a 1920's movie star mansion.

Thoughts?

Yancey

Well, apparently Ben loves it because he mentioned it during one of his appearances today. That multi drawer cabinet has been used before although I don't remember if it was Ben's or Robert's set. It's cool though. It looks like early California.

Ben seems to like his new new "digs". Alot. Maybe this is his "reward" for all the extra duty he peformed last year when RO was away.

Your comparison to a 1920s Hollywood home is quite appropriate. It's also very reminiscent of areas in the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel, isn't it? I think I've seen those same tiles in the Hotel.

I am just amazed at how BIG it looks - what with a sunken living room, the large dining table and large sofa. And all those arched windows. Haven't seen enough of it yet to get a good grasp on it all.

I will miss the phone booth and pinball machine though.

Our young man is growing up!

"Hipster Ben Is Dead. Love Live Spanish Colonial Ben."

Kyle In Hollywood

I have mixed feelings. I love the set, which does feel 'old Hollywood.' It reminds me of Don Lockwood's house in "Singin' in the Rain.'

My problem is Ben just doesn't look right in it. Like Kyle wrote, he's a hipster personality, who seemed a lot more in his element in the set with the bike, and the phone booth, and the weight lifting equipment. (To say nothing of the photo equipment and highway signs!)

Oh, well. I'll adjust. As long as Ben's happy, who am I to grouse?

I really like the new set. It was introduced during the morning's BOMBA film. I had to agree with Ben. I wouldn't mind living there either. Even if there are only 3 walls!

So, it's been almost 9 years now for Ben. (Can you believe it?)

The first thing to go was the goatee. And like his face, Ben's clothes seem to me to have become less scruffy as well. I don't know if I've become use to him by now but he doesn't seem as snarky as he once did.

When the time comes Ben moves into Robert's spot and a new "hipster doofus" takes over for Ben. WIth new cool sets and lighting to grab a younger audience.

Can a Justin Beiber look-a-like be far behind?

Yancey

PS: I had to laugh at those weights. I'm guessing Ben doesn't like lifting anything over 12oz!

Chief,

It definitely has that Beverly Hills/Whitley Heights classic Hollywood home feel to it.

While it looks bigger, I wonder if that is an optical illusion to us viewers and they just transformed his old "loft" space into these spacious new digs.

I can see why he would want to live there. Heck, I would, too, (based on the decor) but not in the way MsW or Casablancalover probably would.

*"While it looks bigger, I wonder if that is an optical illusion to us viewers and they just transformed his old "loft" space into these spacious new digs."* - lzcutter

I am sure it is the same studio he and Robert have been using all these years. I've looked at the set so often over the years that I've quit "seeing" it.

What surprised me was the installation of the plarforms to give the appearance of a sunken living room. And the short wall with the built-in bookcase - though that could easily be a "trompe l'oeil" painting of a bookcase.

The RO set does have an off-camera "backstage area" through the doorway next to the staircase. I never explored that area to see how far back that might go. Maybe that area is opened up for use when filming Ben's pieces.

Or could there be different camera lens used to give the set more depth than we are used to seeing on the RO set?

Either way, it'll be interesting to see what other "surprises" the new set reveals over the next few weekends.

Kyle In Hollywood

>lzcutter wrote: I can see why he would want to live there. Heck, I would, too, (based on the decor) but not in the way MsW or Casablancalover probably would.

I like the new set; I used to think that the old set made it appear not so much a loft but sometimes mom's walkout basement. It only was missing the washer and dryer in the corner. Sort of have ta be a Minnesotan to see it though.

I would love it, but I would be bothered by the cameras and I would want to work in peace and quiet.

Archived