Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

RE-RUNS in the TCM Schedule???

VelvetBlackstone

Is it just me or does it seem like in the past few months TCM has been re-running a lot more movies than usual. It seems like almost every couple days now I tune in and I'm watching a movie that aired in the past week or two. Tonight is a perfect example with 'Grapes of Wrath' and 'The Razor's Edge'. Both of these movies have already aired in the past 10 days. I have been a devout and constant viewer of TCM for many years and I have never come across so many duplicates in the schedule in such a short time frame as recently.

You think TCM runs a lot of repeats? Try watching The Fox Movie Channel or any of the Encore movie channels. Some films get repeated two or three times in a day, not to mention six or eight times or more during the same month.

Sure we'd, all like less repeats, but it's a matter economics. Each network has a specific programming budget that it has to work within. To pay for new and more expensive programming, there has to be more, cheaper, reruns to stretch that budget. It's like when the broadcast networks cut the number of new episodes in the series they run. It wasn't that long ago they'd make 26 or 28 each season. Now, 21 or 22 is the norm.

When the economy tanked a couple of years ago, it was a well known fact that parent company Time-Warner slashed the operating budgets for all of it's divisions including TCM. It wouldn't surprise me if they were still working under that tighter financial constraint.

Oh. I thought you were throwing out the idea of TCM including reruns in their online schedule, which I was going to heartily agree with. I missed an excellent Japanese movie awhile back, and I don't watch the channel often enough to know if and when it is rerun. Ditto on a pre-code that was on very early in the a.m.

Oh well. Never mind!

This first week of March does have quite a number of films showing that were seen during "31 Days..." I think it is more noticeable because the repeated titles are very "high profile" what with their Academy Award pedigree.

And perhaps the channel leased many of the Oscar titles for a month (30 days) and still has access to them and wants to get it's money's worth out of them. By the end of March, the repeats from "31 Days..." will have dropped off considerably. Then popular titles like *Cape Fear*, *Night Of The Hunter* and *The Lost Weekend* return.

I saw *Tora!, Tora!, Tora!* (well, much of it) for the first time today so I was appreciative of having the chance to catch it. Same for *The Razor's Edge* tonight which I didn't see last month. The film seems to have had a deep effect on Drew Barrymore. I look forward to hearing her thoughts on the film.

But most of the rest of tonight's "20th Century Fox" line-up are titles that are rarely seen on TCM.

Kyle In Hollywood

Saturdays between 9am and 5pm seem to be the repeat dumping ground. I think more movies air again in this time period than any other during the week.

Tora Tora Tora (1970) aired March 1st and Grapes Of Wrath (1940) aired Feb 25th.

It has to be 9 or 10 years since TCM has shown a couple of films I'd like to see again. EVERYTHING'S ROSIE (1931) and TOO MANY COOKS (1931). While you'd never see these on a Saturday afternoon due to their age and obscurity they could be shown during the wee hours.

It is kind of frustrating that What Ever Happened To Aunt Alice? (1969) has aired twice in prime time this year alone and it's only March!

Yancey

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings