Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ladies In Retirement...Creepy but Fun

MovieGal53

Suspense and horror without blood and guts! The only element that would have made this viewing more perfect would have been a rip roaring thunderstorm in my neck of the woods. Nonetheless I throughly enjoyed it.

What we saw from Ms. Lupino was a woman, carrying the weight of the world in regard to her sisters, being pushed to her limit. I have never seen such a cold blooded look as when Ellen came down the stairs and acted out her plan. Ellen Creed could give Mrs. Danvers a run for her money.

Ladies In Retirement should be shown every Halloween. (hint, hint, TCM)

:)

Ida really shows a range of emotions during the film from fear and loathing to hate and concern for her sisters. By the way it was another nice turn for Elsa Lanchester. One particular close up reminded me of the looh captured in "Bride of Frankenstein". She has been in quite a few films during the last month and I love her range in all roles played. Certainly her and husband Charles were quite the talented pair.

Loved this movie! I love Ida Lupino and Elsa Lanchester! I love the classic gothic horror stories and I agree that they are fantastic to watch in the dark and with a great, booming thunderstorm going on outside my window!! This was a thoroughly enjoyable movie-glad I watched it!

I generally have a high resistance to Gothics, but this one was absolutely perfect from beginning to end. Lupino's acting was on the Stanwyck level, and the rest of the cast was a perfect complement.

And BTW when is Ida Lupino going to be given the SOTM treatment? Talk about forgotten actors, not to mention pioneering female directors. Maybe if she'd stuck around like Angela Lansbury or Doris Day she'd get her proper dues from TCM.

> And BTW when is Ida Lupino going to be given the SOTM treatment? Talk about forgotten actors, not to mention pioneering female directors. Maybe if she'd stuck around like Angela Lansbury or Doris Day she'd get her proper dues from TCM.

She did get SOTM treatment in June 2007. She's hardly forgotten by TCM as her films show up regularly.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings