Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Never thought I'd ever say it but it's time JERRY LEWIS was Star OT Month

yanceycravat

I'm not a great fan of Jerry Lewis by any means but it seems to me this is a no brainer.

For all his contribution to film comedy, Jerry Lewis deserves to be Star Of The Month.

I know nearly all the titles are Paramount but it seems to me this is long over due.

Thoughts?

Yancey

Why not? Encore has been showing his films all over for the last couple of months. They might pull something like they are doing with Doris Day next month. That is showing films in prime time for the first few nights. I'm not sure there is enough to carry the month like a regular SOTM.

I was going to say something because of his birthday, but it was more in the line of a wish that if they were going to the trouble lining up a lot of his movies, instead of getting just bad ones, they might have gotten The Bellboy, or The Errand Boy, or at least The Ladies Man.

Yancey, either you're French or you're crazy, or both. ;) I'd rather have a SOTM devoted to that character actor in the 30's who stutterered his way from one movie to another. Can't remember his name at the moment, but he was ten times as funny as Jerry Lewis. Just because one generation had a misguided sense of humor doesn't mean that TCM should have to honor their misguidance. If we want to honor pure slapstick, let's give the Three Stooges a SUTS day and leave Jerry Lewis to Dean Martin's ghost. At least the Three Stooges were somewhat endearing.

> {quote:title=AndyM108 wrote:}{quote}Yancey, either you're French or you're crazy, or both. ;) I'd rather have a SOTM devoted to that character actor in the 30's who stutterered his way from one movie to another. Can't remember his name at the moment...

You're talking about actor Roscoe Ates. Oddly enough his last credit was in THE ERRAND BOY directed, starring and co-written by, yes Jerry Lewis!

I'm not French but I may be crazy. As I said I'm not a much of a fan but certainly Jerry Lewis deserves recognition from TCM.

Yancey

I'd like to see Jerry Lewis as SOTM--but it'd be better if it were Dean Martin & Jerrry Lewis together. They made a lot of films together & separetly---so it could make the schedule much more interesting.

> {quote:title=cody1949 wrote:}{quote}If you are truly interested in comic genius, a full month of everything done by Laurel and Hardy would be most welcomed. Nothing personal, but I rank Jerry Lewis with The Three Stooges and Abbott and Costello.

I find the ranking of comedians a very subjective thing.

I would never have put Abbott and Costello with The Three Stooges. For one reason they only made features.

And let's face it, even Laurel and Hardy had their turkeys. As much as I like them I'm not a major fan of anything past the Roach era.

If not Star of the Month, Jerry definitely deserves a day in August if he hasn't had one already.

Yancey

I'm with Yancey. Like him or not, Lewis did contribute a lot to comedy and moviemaking in general.

Lewis seems to be the "dirty little secret" many people try to hide. Likely many who used to love going to Lewis movies as kids try to pretend that at one time they never did, denying their devotion like Peter denying Jesus. Sure, when I was a kid, Lewis movies were eagerly anticipated. We couldn't WAIT for the next one. As we got older, it seemed our tastes in comedy got "sophisticated", and now we're ashamed to admit we once regarded those flicks so highly. I'm the same way with the Stooges. Can't stand them now, but before the age of 10 you couldn't find a bigger fan.

Many Lewis movies to me now seem over the top and annoying. But I still get a charge out of *The Bellboy* and *The Nutty Professor* . Can't say the same for the Stooges. Only ONE SCENE from an old short stays with me.

Encore WAS showing a documentary of *Jerry Lewis: A Method To The Maddness* that was very interesting. For instance, I wasn't aware that his Father was that well known and respected in Vaudville circuits. Or that it was Lewis who concieved and developed the video assist that movie directors heavily rely on to this day. When he started in movies, with Dean, instead of resting in his dressing room between takes or while the next shots were being set up, Lewis was at the elbows of cameramen, lighting crews, sound crews and other technical personel soaking it all in and learning how the whole thing works. Sometimes someone had to hunt him down for his shots only to find him in the editing room learning how all of THAT was done. Seemingly giving the persona of an idiot onscreen, he was in reality one of the most intelligent men in the business. You can't knock success. It all obviously paid off for him.

If you don't like his comedy, you GOTTA respect him otherwise. He's EARNED his SOTM.

Sepiatone

Lewis seems to be the "dirty little secret" many people try to hide. Likely many who used to love going to Lewis movies as kids try to pretend that at one time they never did, denying their devotion like Peter denying Jesus. Sure, when I was a kid, Lewis movies were eagerly anticipated. We couldn't WAIT for the next one.

I couldn't stand him when I was young, and I can't stand him today. In the 50's my idea of humor was Donald Duck, Sid Caesar, Imogene Coca, Sgt. Bilko, and Don "Are you nervous?----Noop!" Knotts on The Steve Allen Show . Lewis always just seemed like he was trying way, way too hard. I only wish that Laurel and Hardy had still been around.

I don't doubt that Lewis is an intelligent guy, and he obviously did a lot of good work in his telethons. But please, April's schedule gives us enough schlock to last until about 2014.

I think he deserves Star of the Month as well, or at least a day during SUTS. The latter is probably more likely due to rights issues with most of the Paramount films. He was one of the most popular film stars of the 50's and 60's. He may not be to some people's tastes in comedy, but he still has a lot of fans that would like to see his films more on TCM. He deserves an opportunity to be Star of the Month just like the others stars do. If people aren't fans of his, then they don't have to watch. I wasn't a fan of his until a few months ago, when I decided to give one of his movies a try. I absolutely loved it and him, and have become a fan ever since. I think you have to see one of his better movies, to start to appreciate his comedy (The Bellboy, The Errand Boy, The Nutty Professor, Rock a Bye Baby, The Delicate Deliquent, Cinderfella, and Who's Minding The Store). The ones they're showing today for his birthday, unfortunately aren't his best ones.

Well. AndyM (AndyM! AndyM!), as I was born in 1951, All those you mentioned didn't float into my perimeter of awareness until the '60's anyway, and by that time I was bitten by the Lewis bug. What's funny also is when you see all the old films of Lewis doing his schtick on stage with Dean, you also see the band cracking up and hear the Copa audience laughing it up. So it might seem NObody was "sophisticated" back then! Then there's the films of people mobbing their hotel as if they were the Beatles.

It's not the people who have changed, it's the entertainer. An aging Lewis had trouble pulling off what he did when younger. Like the rest of us. But nobody can sit at their PC and post that Lewis's comedy is "schlock" or complain that it's infantile or "****". NOT when the likes of Jim Carrey and Will Ferrell are attracting huge crowds and big bucks doing pretty much the same thing, and not even half as well.

Sepiatone

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote}

> Encore WAS showing a documentary of *Jerry Lewis: A Method To The Maddness* that was very interesting.

>

Wherein Nigel Lythgoe seems a whole lot happier talking about Jerry's dancing than he ever does talking about Ginger's.

A Bible verse says "A prophet is never welcomed in his home country"-or something very similar. This seems to apply to Lewis.

He has proved himself to be a fine dramatic actor in several TV roles-see the *Wiseguy* "Garment District" arch-and his comedy films were successes when released. I did not know that he designed the video assist but that might be his lasting legacy. He has tirelessly devoted himself to charitable causes and in all of the several biographies I've seen about him or the Martin-Lewis team, has he ever said a negative word about Martin; in fact he speaks of him as the big brother he never had(Martin was 10 years older). If he has his demons-don’t we all-he has not let them keep him from give back to the human race. He will be long remembered after his life ends.

Well. AndyM (AndyM! AndyM!), as I was born in 1951, All those you mentioned didn't float into my perimeter of awareness until the '60's anyway, and by that time I was bitten by the Lewis bug. What's funny also is when you see all the old films of Lewis doing his schtick on stage with Dean, you also see the band cracking up and hear the Copa audience laughing it up. So it might seem NObody was "sophisticated" back then! Then there's the films of people mobbing their hotel as if they were the Beatles.

It's not the people who have changed, it's the entertainer. An aging Lewis had trouble pulling off what he did when younger. Like the rest of us. But nobody can sit at their PC and post that Lewis's comedy is "schlock" or complain that it's infantile or "****". NOT when the likes of Jim Carrey and Will Ferrell are attracting huge crowds and big bucks doing pretty much the same thing, and not even half as well.

I used "schlock" because IMO that's what Jerry Lewis's movies are. YMMV, etc. But I didn't use those other words, which have entirely different connotations. I'm also not trying to promote Jim Carrey, Will Ferrell, or Adam Sandler for SOTM treatment, either. God forbid.

I'm also not sure what's particularly "sophisticated" about the comics I named as my childhood favorites: Donald Duck, Don Knotts, Sid Caesar / Imogene Coca, and Sgt. Bilko. I could have added Bugs Bunny, Chester A. Riley, The Little Rascals (who were always playing in reruns) and Amos 'N' Andy (the TV version). It's not a question of anything but personal taste and personal opinion, and from the first time I ever saw him in action, Jerry Lewis has been like chalk on a blackboard or Chinese water torture. I appreciate the fact that you and others like him, but if I were trying to promote a new face for SOTM I could think of about 500 far better choices. Give him a nice little tribute on his birthday, but if we want comedy for SOTM, which is a fine idea, then let's start with Laurel and Hardy. ( /rant ) :)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings