Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"John Carter" (2012)

joefilmone

Disney spent a fortune in this adaptation of "A Princess of Mars" and every cent is on screen. This is an ejoyable old fashion ( hey it was written in 1917) science-fantasy adventure epic. Burroughs book obviously inspired everything from "Flash Gordon" to "Avatar".

I passed on this after reading the reviews and seeing the trailer. It seemed so derivative of "Star Wars", 'Lord of The Rings", you name it. But if you say every cent is on the screen, I may go after all. I had been all excited for months because my dad had all those Burroughs books (It's "John Carter: Warlord of Mars".) and I read them all as a kid. It was also a comic brieflly in the 1970's. I liked the Burroughs books about Pellucidar too, the subterranean civilization.

Burroughs invented the modern action hero- his books are never boring- too bad Schneer and Harryhausen did not adapt "The Land That Time Forgot" or " At The Earths Core" - so we ended up with those cheapo AIP movies with Doug Mcclure who was too OLD and FAT to play a convincing Burrough's hero. Yes now John Carter's adventure does look derivative because everyone has ripped him off- imagine if this had been done in the 1950's with George Pal producing and Charlton Heston as Carter. If you like old fashion sci fi adventure- "Flash Gordon", The Simbad movies you will enjoy this- also the semi-naked Martian princess is a good visual effect too.

Edited by: joefilmone on Mar 17, 2012 10:45 AM

I firs saw the character in a comic book too- in the 1970's- the Disney marketers really blew it this time- you would think that if you spend $250 million producing a movie you would at least make sure the audience was aware of the character.

I could not understand the plot, the characters or who was fighting who.

After a few minutes, the CGI work overwhelmed. There was so much of it, your eyeballs became strained trying to digest it all.

The hero was a lacklustre no-name who didn't look heroic or charismatic and when I want to enjoy a super hero, I want him to be another Mark Singer who made "The Beastmaster" both a blockbuster and a camp classic. John Carter wore a baggy brown skirt throughout the movie so you only saw his unimpressive upper torso at work. In "The Beastmaster" one saw nearly ALL of Mark Singer's fantastic torso which made him look genuinely godlike.

I nearly walked out halfway through "John Carter" but stuck it out but the whole time I was thinking of what DVDs I wanted to watch that night--and "The Beastmaster" was at the top of my list.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings