Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/160604-Tom-Cruise-in-Talks-for-Clint-Eastwoods-A-Star-is-Born-Remake-Starring-Beyonc

Academy Award nominee Tom Cruise, who will be seen in the upcoming "Rock of Ages" film, is in talks to join the cast of the musical remake of "A Star is Born," according to Variety.

As previously reported, the remake?to be produced and directed by Clint Eastwood?will feature Grammy winner Beyonc?, who will play Esther Blodgett, the small-time nightclub singer who eventually achieves international stardom, previously played by Judy Garland and Barbra Streisand, among others.

What's the problem with Beyoncé? A Star Is Born is a timeless story that can be told in a million variations.

Now Tom Cruise, that's another story. It's hard to picture James Mason or Fredric March getting drunk and jumping up and down on a couch.

I don't see a problem either. If we don't like it, we don't have to see it. I'm sure people were saying the same kind of things when they announced the Garland and Mason version. Let's see how it plays out.

Not as much as the Streisand and Kristofferson version!!!!!!!!!!!!! :0

My eyes, my eyes.........................

mark, you must have figured out by now that some people - okay me - react to actors and phoney baloney stars with love and worship (the former) and loathing and hate (the latter) by now, right?

Logic and common sense have nothing to do with what some people - okay me - want from their actors nor how they - okay me - react to any disparagement of their favorite screen golden guys and dolls.

Bottom line, it's emotional, it's personal, it's opinions, and it's fun.

Well, it can't be as bad as the Neil Diamond remake of *The Jazz Singer* , can it?

Or CAN it?

Is this REALLY happening, or is it one of those internet stories that get bandied about, like the one about 10 years ago that claimed Steven Segal was writing, producing, directing and starring in a bio pic of Jimi Hendrix. AS Jimi! A lot of people actually believed this and were up in arms! Never came to pass.

Sepiatone

Looks like the offer is on the table:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/mar/12/tom-cruise-a-star-is-born?newsfeed=true

Steel yourself, because the other possibilities are even more horrifying:

Leonardo DiCaprio, Will Smith, Russell Crowe, Hugh Jackman, Robert Downey Jr, Eminem, Christian Bale and Mad Men's Jon Hamm have all been under consideration for the male lead role during A Star Is Born's long gestation.

Well, it can't be as bad as the Neil Diamond remake of The Jazz Singer, can it ?

I'm not sure why any sane person would ever watch anything with Neil Diamond in it, but the movie has yet to be made that could possibly be any worse than the original Al Jolson version of The Jazz Singer . On a scale of pain, that was the equivalent of watching Mitt Romney try to recite the Gettysburg Address.

> {quote:title=joefilmone wrote:}{quote}The movie will now feature two queens- oops I mean two divas- oops I mean :)

Laughter. Laughter. Hearty applause.

Ah, Tom Cruise jokes- getting us through this uncertain new millenium.

I think Beyonce is about 5'8, which is going to present some filming difficulties since she's got about five inches on Tom.

And Tom doesn't do phonebook. Not since Nicole.

Face it. The film is not being made for an audience that has any affection for any of the three (four if you count What Price Hollywood?) previous versions. It is being made for 18 to 34 year olds that still go to the multiplex evey week. And none of those earlier versions are "untouchable" icons that shouldn't be remade either. Eastwood isn't remaking *Casablanca*.

I am curious how to construct the story if the Cruise character is not also a performer/musician. (I hope Cruise isn't being cast as a singer.) Being just a "busines manager/husband" diminishes the tragic aspects fo the story.

But I applaud them for putting a mixed-race couple at the center of the story. That already makes it an interesting remake. Hopefully it won't be a major plot point though.

Kyle In Hollywood

>Will this be, or is it already, the most re-made film ever?

No. I think "Madame X" is the most re-made.

THE MOST COPIED FILM PLOT:

This plot was also used in Ruth Chatterton?s Frisco Jenny (1932), Kay Francis in Confession (1937), Pola Negri in ?Mazurka? (1935), Helen Hayes in ?The Sin of Madelon Claudet? (1931) (the son is a doctor at the end).

A version of:

Femme, La (1910)

Who Is She? (1910)

Hvem er hun? (1914)

Madame X (1916)

Madame X (1920)

The Lady (1925)

La Mujer X, (1931)

Forbidden (1932)

Ruth Chatterton?s Frisco Jenny (1932)

The Secret of Madame Blanche (1933)

Whirlpool (1934) Jack Holt & Jean Arthur

Kay Francis in Confession (1937)

Pola Negri in Mazurka (1935)

The Sin of Madelon Claudet (1931)

Madame X (1937)

A Woman Is the Judge (1939)

To Each His Own (1946) Olivia de Havilland

The Trial of Madame X (1948)

Agnostos, I (1954)

Mujer X, La (1955)

Madame X (1966)

Madame X (1981) (TV)

Apparently all of these stories date back to a play of 1910:

Of his works, Bisson is best remembered for his play "Madame X" that was performed in 1910 both in Paris and on Broadway with Sarah Bernhardt in the leading role. Over the years, the play would be revived for Broadway three times and nine Madame X motion pictures in several languages have been filmed. The first silent screen adaptation was in 1916 and the latest in 2000. Better known versions include a 1929 "talkie" production starring Ruth Chatterton and directed by Lionel Barrymore plus the 1966 production starring Lana Turner. In 2006 a musical has been produced in Chicago, IL based on the original play "Madame X".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandre_Bisson

The basic story was so good, it has been altered many times to include a mother and her lost son or daughter, and a father and his lost son or daughter. In some films, the son or daughter re-unite and learn who their mother or father really is, while in other ones they re-unite but one or the other never finds out the truth. Every version I've seen has been really good.

>It sounds as if you've been waiting for someone to ask this question.

Well, sort of. :)

I have two long Word documents filled with interesting movie facts, such as "the most asked about movies on TCM" and the HUAC testimonies of several movie stars, directors, and screen writers. :)

I'm sure I've seen other variations of the Madame X story on TCM, but sometimes I forget to add the title and cast to my list.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> > Will this be, or is it already, the most re-made film ever?

> No. I think "Madame X" is the most re-made.

>

> THE MOST COPIED FILM PLOT:

>

> This plot was also used in Ruth Chattertons Frisco Jenny (1932), Kay Francis in Confession (1937), Pola Negri in Mazurka (1935), Helen Hayes in The Sin of Madelon Claudet (1931) (the son is a doctor at the end).

>

> A version of:

> Femme, La (1910)

> Who Is She? (1910)

> Hvem er hun? (1914)

> Madame X (1916)

> Madame X (1920)

> The Lady (1925)

> La Mujer X, (1931)

> Forbidden (1932)

> Ruth Chattertons Frisco Jenny (1932)

> The Secret of Madame Blanche (1933)

> Whirlpool (1934) Jack Holt & Jean Arthur

> Kay Francis in Confession (1937)

> Pola Negri in Mazurka (1935)

> The Sin of Madelon Claudet (1931)

> Madame X (1937)

> A Woman Is the Judge (1939)

> To Each His Own (1946) Olivia de Havilland

> The Trial of Madame X (1948)

> Agnostos, I (1954)

> Mujer X, La (1955)

> Madame X (1966)

> Madame X (1981) (TV)

Another variation of the story is MOST PRECIOUS THING IN LIFE (1934 - Columbia) starring Jean Arthur and Richard Cromwell.

It's not an easy one to find a copy of. It was scheduled on TCM a couple years ago but then pulled and not shown. But it is to be included in the upcoming "Jean Arthur Drama Collection" DVD set.

http://shop.tcm.com/jean-arthur-drama-collection-dvd/detail.php?p=368343

I'll try to look for it again, but on the list of free movies shown on "Encore on Demand" that my cable service has, there was a movie listed that had an interesting title. When I clicked further to read the summary, it read like the same plot for *Front Page* , which of course was the plot of *His Girl Friday* . Only the one I'm referring to takes place in the 2000's, and concerns television reporters.

I'm still not convinced this Cruise/Beyonce thing is for real. First off, it doesn't sound like an Eastwood type vehichle. Second, if the idea was to appeal to a younger, "multi-plex" type movie crowd, someone other than Cruise would be sought. Third, after the Kristofferson/Streisand debacle, who would really want to go down THAT path again?

Fred, I had NO idea *Madame X* was remade so many times! I'm only familiar with one version, and can't imagine wasting time or money on it over and over! Of course, that I didn't care for it doesn't matter. After all, what do I know?

Sepiatone