Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Baminark

Turner Classic "Movies"

This being my first visit to the TCM message boards, I was just wondering if anyone ever considered how great it would be if they could create a "Turner Classic Television" channel.

The problem I have with TVLand is that they consider shows made in the '80's "classics". I'm talking about REAL classic tv, like "Your Show of Shows", Burns and Allen and other shows from the '50's, when television was new. I love the fact that they're airing some of the old "theater" shows, which were dramas that were not a "series" concept, but a different story, different cast every week. There is a local channel here in Arkansas (MeTV) that is very close to doing this, I think it could be a syndicated kind of thing in various states, but they're showing some of the best programs tv did back then: Thriller, Dick Van Dyke, The Untouchables, and others.

Just a thought...

Check out Antenna TV (we have it on Time Warner Cable). They have a load of Screen Gems and Revue (Universal) shows like HAZEL, GIDGET, JACK BENNY, KRAFT SUSPENSE THEATRE, DRAGNET, BURNS AND ALLEN, DENNIS THE MENACE, McHALE'S NAVY, ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS, FATHER KNOWS BEST, DONNA REED etc. AND they run almost the entire Columbia Cartoon package (Color Rhapsodies to UPA Magoos) on TOTALLY TOONED IN.

screen_gems.jpg

I had MeTV (or was it MyTV) here in the Detroit area on my WOW service, but they dropped it for some reason. Too bad, as I was really getting back into them ole *Route 66* reruns!

Nickelodeon used to show the types of programs you mentioned back in the early(for THIS area)cable days...'82 or so...this is even before TVland. I think your idea of "Turner Classic Television" is a good one. Hope the message board administrators are paying attention, and forwarding this.

I have the same frustration with radio. A local "oldies" station used to play songs from the mid '50's to the early '70's, but over the years have shifted to playing "oldies" from the mid '80's on. As THOSE were the tunes MY kids grew up with, hearing them on an "oldies" station is bummin' them out! All I tell 'em is, "welcome to the club, grandma!"

Encore/Westerns will show old '50's western programs: *Have Gun/Will Travel, Cheyenne, Lawman, Gunsmoke, Sugarfoot* , etc. But of course, it's all westerns. And I see that AMC occaisionally puts on the old *Rifleman* series on Saturdays. But the old classic TV shows you mentioned? Would LOVE to see them again!

Sepiatone

I hear you. Route 66 currently is being shown, and I cannot believe what happened when I first discovered this channel. I was in another room and heard the theme song and all of a sudden I had the most vivid memory of putting my jammies on and brushing my teeth and then my mom would let me stay up with my big sisters and watch it. It blew me away.

And yes, I'm a member of "the club", all except for the grandma part...but aunt will do fine!

There were some good shows in the 80's, but they're only "classic" to that younger "demographic", as they like to say. And I remember the old NICK too. Sooner or later somebody's going to wise-up and get these great shows on tv again. Many are available online at sites like Internet Archives, which is a remarkable site for all kinds of stuff. Betty Boop cartoons, like with Cab Calloway, are viewable there.

Take care and thanks for responding! :)

My sister has Antenna TV where she lives (in L.A.) and loves it, but the cable carrier I currently have (Xfinity) does not offer it, not where I live anyway.

But like I responded above: sooner or later, I HOPE, they'll be back on tv. At least, best of the best.

And the only place I have to go to see the old cartoons is Internet Archives, which is better than nothing. Seems like TCM hardly ever shows them anymore like they used to, another shame.

Antenna TV's been great. But the cartoons on "Totally Tuned In" have been sliced and diced. The Mister Magoos are not in original aspect ratio. Very frustrating.