Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

You Are Granted 3 Wishes

While your television set is on TCM a Genie magically appears. The Genie says you have 3 wishes but the wishes must be what you would want 3 of your favorite actors or actresses to perform just for you. The actors/actress can be living or dead, and the performance can be from a movie, play, a song, dance or something you want them to recite.

What would your 3 wishes be?

Mine would be:

# Have Judy Garland sing “Make Someone Happy” just for me.

# Have Sir Lawrence Olivier recite anything from Shakespeare just for me.

# Have John Garfield perform the part of Joe Bonaparte from the play Golden Boy just for me.

Edited by: Lori3 on Mar 20, 2012 3:21 AM

What an excellent question. I'll have to think on it.

I do know I want Cary Grant and James Cagney and Carole Lombard in the equation.

Can I just ask that they return from the dead and have a conversation with me? Can I ask them what made them the three best actors of all time? Can I diss on John Wayne and George Brent with them? Can I ask them to give Babs Stanwyck, the most *versatile* actress ever, my best when they return? Can I ask them to let John Garfield know that he is beloved when the mediocre method actors Brando and Dean are long forgotten? Ditto on the beloved Lloyd and Keaton, re the mediocre Chaplin and Laurel and Hardy and Three Stooges? Can I let them tell Costello he's missed (and to tell Groucho and his brothers that he was WAAAAY ahead of his time) and that I forgive Abbott? And like questions.

I guess that's my wish, to have each of those three to return from the dead and have a conversation with me, and if that uses up the three wishes, so be it.

What a cool question. You go, girl.

I love these fun questions.

One stipulation is that each "wish"/skit has to last for a while; none of this 10-minute stuff. And I like the idea of pairing actors together to get the most of each wish. ;) Thus, in no order:

1. I'd want to watch Cary Grant and Carole Lombard in a comedy

2. I'd like to see Stanwyck and Dana Andrews starring in a noir

3. I want to see Laurel & Hardy doing just about anything*

*That is, by way of comedy. I don't want to see them reciting Shakespeare or acting in a soapy melodrama...

Edited by: EugeniaH on Mar 20, 2012 8:07 AM

Along with Euginia, I'd like to see Laurel and Hardy do ANYthing.

I'd like to see Desi Arnaz reprise his reading of Lewis Carrol's "Jabberwocky" from SNL.

Still working on #3...

Sepiatone

read-16x16.gifRe: You Are Granted 3 Wishes

{font:verdana, arial, sans-serif}Posted: Mar 20, 2012 10:38 AM up-10x10.gifhttp://forums.tcm.com/message.jspa?messageID=8626958#8626958|in response to: Lori3 in response to: [Lori3|http://forums.tcm.com/message.jspa?messageID=8626958#8626958|Go to message]{font}

warn-16x16.gif[Lori3|http://forums.tcm.com/abuse!default.jspa?messageID=8626987|Click to report abuse...]reply-16x16.gif[Lori3|http://forums.tcm.com/post!reply.jspa?messageID=8626987|Click to reply to this thread]

I love these fun questions.

One stipulation is that each "wish"/skit has to last for a while; none of this 10-minute stuff. And I like the idea of pairing actors together to get the most of each wish. ;) Thus, in no order:

1. I'd want to watch Cary Grant and Carole Lombard in a comedy

2. I'd like to see Stanwyck and Dana Andrews starring in a noir

3. I want to see Laurel & Hardy doing just about anything*

*That is, by way of comedy. I don't want to see them reciting Shakespeare or acting in a soapy melodrama...

Edited by: EugeniaH on Mar 20, 2012 8:07 AM

I like 1 & 2. My #3 would be a film featuring Cary Grant and Humphrey Bogart directed by Alfred Hitchcock... B-)

My three film wishes:

*1. A Cary-Carole comedy*...the king and queen of screwball hold court.

*2. Gary Cooper and Myrna Loy make some sort of movie together* -- they were childhood friends from Helena, Mont., but they never appeared in the same film!

*3. William Powell star in a film under the direction of Ernst Lubitsch* -- Bill's illness prevented him from starring opposite Garbo in "Ninotchka." Powell + Lubitsch likely = sublime. Perhaps pair him with a leading lady he never worked with (Barbara Stanwyck?).

excellent question and what a fun thread! :)

I know my first wish would be to see George Raft in "Casablanca"...ever since I read Raft turned down that role, I've always been intrigued to see what he would have done with it, and what it would have done for his career, since many consider it to be THE movie that made Bogie's career. I'm debating if I would want to keep Ingrid Bergman or maybe cast someone else (Hedy Lamarr?) just to mix it up for the fun of it. :D

I'll have to mull over the other two requests...

The ones I list are my all time favorites, but my wishes would be:

1)- Howard Hawks original casting choices for "Red River"

Gary Cooper as Tom Dunson

Cary Grant as Cherry Valance

I don't know how it would have turned out but it would have been a "Very Interesting" Western...

---------

2) John Huston's original casting for "The Man Who Would be King"

Clark Gable as Daniel

Humphrey Bogart as Peachy

I still dream about that one...

-----------

3) "Breakfast at Tiffany's" Author Truman Capote wanted and had her in mind when he wrote it:

Marilyn Monroe in the role of "Holly Golightly"

Her drama coach talked her out of it, telling her it would have been a bad image for her to play a prostitute, so she did "The Misfits" instead...What "IF" she had done "Breakfast" instead, maybe she and Gable would have been around longer...Maybe..

Edited by: fredbaetz on Mar 21, 2012 4:14 AM

Edited by: fredbaetz on Mar 21, 2012 4:31 AM

Tough question, but I'd like to see if three of my least favorite movies might be given a bit more bite with some creative recasting and the removal of the production code. So in that spirit I'd like to see.....

1. Louise Brooks (a woman who really might give Clark Gable all that he could handle) replace Claudette Colbert in It Happened One Night

2. Jean Harlow (an infinitely superior comedienne) replace Marilyn Monroe in Some Like It Hot

3. Jean Gabin and Jeanne Moreau replace Humphrey Bogart and Katharine Hepburn as the two leads in La Renne Africaine ( formerly known as The African Queen ), hopefully making that hackneyed plot a bit less predictable and Hollywoodish.

Marysara, if you mean Karloff in the role done by Massey, I'm in agreement. AND I'll make it my #3. Although I think Massey did an exceptional job, Karloff would have been fitting. Why, for all we know, he might have been considered.

Sepiatone

Garbo as Joan of Arc (she wanted to do this film but didn't think she was worthy of playing a saint.

Garbo in Dark Victory ( a role she turned down several years before WB bought it for Bette Davis)

Garbo in movies much after her retirement - at the age of 36!

I would like to spend a "quiet" evening at home in the Bullock house (as in My Man Godfrey) , just Irene (Carole) and me. Then I would like to see a live performance of Henry Fonda doing "Mister Roberts" on the stage. Finally, I would like to spend a day at the studio just watching William Powell and Myrna Loy doing a "Thin Man" movie.

Great thread! Where to begin.......

Everything Judy (for now).

1. Garland singing "I'm Still Here" freom Stephen Sondheim's "Follies" for me and a room full of her most devoted fans (Judy works best with an audience).

2. Judy getting the chance to do "Annie Get Your Gun", "Royal Wedding", and "The Barkley's of Broadway".

3. Judy getting a chance to play "Mame" on Broadway (to a packed house with me in the front row).

Only three? There are so many more......

I have 4 wishes, so 1 more spare:

1. the dragon balls and eternal dragondragon to be real

2. to have goku's power

3. Complete all open ended anime. Both past and future releases.

4. Charlotte Hazelink from Princess Lover to be made real and my wife.

Edited by: Juliandaicy on Mar 28, 2012 4:36 AM

I'd like to have Buster Keaton, in the same mental and physical condition he was in before the alcohol and MGM broke his body and spirit. Then I'd like to see him star in and direct a talkie the way that he would like to have made one and see what the results are.

I'd also like to see "Convention City" and "Gold Diggers of Broadway". This is really bringing back lost film instead of a lost performer, but it's what I really want.

- Garbo in Dark Victory (she turned the role down to do Anna Karenina( Davis did it a few years later when Warners acquired the rights to the story)

- Garbo in Arch of Triumph - she turned that role down too! Bergman took the role.

- Garbo in The Garden of Allah - yes, she turned down too and Deitrich played the part later on too!

Of course the above films were great as they were done but it would have been fun to see how Garbo would have done them

1. I would love to see John Garfield in the role of Stanley Kowalski

2. I would love to have Fred Astaire dance for me

3. I would love to have Yul Brynner just show up.....................

Edited by: Geminigirl on Mar 29, 2012 10:47 PM

1. Have Robin Williams, Kathleen Turner, Christina Ricci and Mara Wilson star in the 1994 Stanley Kubrick movie The Man Who Loved Children based on the novel of the same name.

2. Have John Cusack, Lisa Kudrow, Ralph Fiennes and Emma Thompson star in the turn of the millenium The Good Soldier, based on the novel of the same name, directed by either Eric Rohmer or Hou Hsiao-Hsien.

3. Have Howard Hawks and the Marx Brothers make a movie.