Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Doris Day featurette -- with wonderful narration by Ms. Day herself!

BingFan

This morning (March 26), just before 6:00 am ET, TCM ran a preview of the Doris Day week that's coming in April -- newly narrated by Ms. Day herself! (Apologies if someone else has already raised this topic, but I don't see it anywhere.)

At first, I thought the narration in the featurette might be adapted from an older interview, perhaps the excellent one that Ms. Day did with radio host Jonathan Schwartz last year. But I quickly realized that her comments were directly related to each of the movie clips that they were showing and were clearly planned as part of this very nice little retrospective.

The clips were a quick, but well chosen, trip through her movie career, starting with her memories of an audition at Warner Bros. and a phone call offer from Jack Carson -- she said she told him that she couldn't believe it was really him, and he said something like, "It'll never be realer than this" -- just what you'd expect Jack Carson to say.

Ms. Day also speaks of her fondness for co-star Gordon Macrae and especially for their movies ON MOONLIGHT BAY and BY THE LIGHT OF THE SILVERY MOON; talks about how funny Mary Wickes and Billy Gray were in those movies and how perfect her parents were (played by Leon Ames and Rosemary DeCamp); says that she enjoyed working with her childhood idol Ginger Rogers in STORM WARNING, playing Ms. Rogers' younger sister and dying for the only time in the movies; calls LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME, with Cagney, her best movie; says how proud she was when Jack Lemmon, with whom she co-starred in the very entertaining IT HAPPENED TO JANE, called her his favorite actress; and speaks very fondly of her friend Rock Hudson and co-star James Garner.

Then, at the end, came the tag line, "For Turner Classic Movies, I'm Doris Day." As though we could have mistaken her still-youthful voice for anyone else's! I'll admit that just hearing her say the tag line almost brought tears to my eyes.

This proves, I guess, that Ms. Day wanted to acknowledge and participate in TCM's well-deserved tribute to her great career. Short of a full "Private Screenings" interview with Robert Osborne, this was the most wonderful gift that Ms. Day could have given to her many fans, if you ask me!

Edited by: BingFan on Mar 26, 2012 11:42 AM

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}Sounds great-----looking forward to seeing it................How was Jack Carson in a position to offer auditions? Wouldn't that have been done by an executive?

I probably didn't do justice to Ms. Day's own description of her conversation with Carson, but she seemed to be saying that Jack actually offered her the part in her first movie (ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS) after her audition went well.

Like you, I would have expected an executive, or maybe the director (Michael Curtiz), to offer the part to Ms. Day, but it sure sounded like Jack himself made the offer: "How would you like to be in my movie?"

To illustrate this vignette about ROMANCE in the featurette, they used clips from IT'S A GREAT FEELING, the behind-the-scenes Hollywood comedy where Carson, playing himself, is supposedly directing the movie that he, Ms. Day, and Dennis Morgan, also playing himself, are to be in.

Doris recorded her narration at her home about 10 days ago. There are 2 versions of this interstitial. The first one is 8:39 in length and the second shorter abridged version is 6:21. The short version airs at 2:37pm (3/26/12) and the longer version at 2:09am (3/27/12). Enjoy!

> {quote:title=MGMWBRKO wrote:}{quote}Doris recorded her narration at her home about 10 days ago. There are 2 versions of this interstitial. The first one is 8:39 in length and the second shorter abridged version is 6:21. The short version airs at 2:37pm (3/26/12) and the longer version at 2:09am (3/27/12). Enjoy!

Thank you for the alert. I presume that you're referring to Eastern time? I'd like to tip a friend off to the next airing and he's on the west coast.

Also, the 3/27 airing - that's the proper 3/27, not based on the broadcast day that runs 6am-6am?

It appears the "long version" of the Doris Day SOTM piece is playing _overnight_ / _tonight_ at 2:09am on the East Coast / 11:09pm on the West Coast.

It is running immediately after the end of *The Pumpkin Eater* and before the start of the short film "Looking At London" which begins at 2:18am / 11:18pm.

Kyle In Hollywood

Thanks. There's a certain irony in that Doris Day is following Anne Bancroft seeing as how Bancroft got the role in THE GRADUATE that was first offered to Day.

Since Doris doesn't get out much now, I say RO and the whole TCM crew should pack up the gear and head out to the home of Doris and get that long awaited interview the fans would love to see! Come on now Doris . . . Just make it one more for the fans, if not the road. Please! :_|

> Since Doris doesn't get out much now, I say RO and the whole TCM crew should pack up the gear and head out to the home of Doris and get that long awaited interview the fans would love to see! Come on now Doris . . . Just make it one more for the fans, if not the road. Please!

It's not a failure of will on TCM's part. They would love to have Day agree to sit down with Robert O for an in-person interview and would likely be happy to travel to California to accommodate the actress.

But the fly in that ointment is Day, herself. She seems comfortable lately doing audio interviews and voice-overs but she still draws the line at appearing on camera.

And as always, posters continue to think that TCM is the one holding the much hoped for event from happening.

*But,* the ball is, as it always has been, in her court for that longed hoped for camera interview with Robert O.

And until she changes her mind, all the asking by fans and TCM won't change that reality.

Edited by: lzcutter on Mar 26, 2012 7:13 PM

Hope TCM will show the Doris Day featurette many more times. It was so well made. And the best thing was to hear Doris Day laugh. The film clips and hearing her comments were so well done.

I would love to watch it again and again. Thank you so much for letting us know. It was not listed in Now Playing because it was made after Now Playing was printed. So I am glad that there are people watching at 2:00AM to tell us and someone behind the scenes letting us know about the upcoming broadcast.

Finance,

I'm not saying she may not change her mind somewhere down the road and agree to appear on camera.

She may very well do that.

My response was to MovieProf who indicated that the hold-up in her appearing with Robert O was because TCM either had not asked her or they were unwilling to travel across the country.

For the record, she did an audio interview on the Today show not an on-camera interview.

So, as I said in my original post, the ball is in her court about this issue and it is her decision when and if she wants to appear on-camera.

Until then all TCM (and the rest of us) can do is ask and respect her decision when she declines the offers.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> For the record, she did an audio interview on the Today show not an on-camera interview.

While I do respect Doris and her right to privacy, I believe if there was enough of say, a letter writing or web campaign of asking her to reconsider, she might just come around to the idea of a one on one interview with RO. We the fans here at TCM have that ability! This is in all regards a vital situation, since Doris is one of the last available motion picture stars of the 20th Century!!! She remains a titan among so many others who came to the motion picture screen. There is such a wonderful beauty to Doris as both a movie star and just as important a human being. She is a rarity of sorts, a phenomenon of having become an icon of American entertainment, starting out all on a mere, unpretentious idea toward becoming a monumental success. But then, she has already said enough, by way of her long ago biography, revealing so many events, places and people in her life that brought about interesting surprises. The one thing we can rely on about Doris is her never ending, high spirited, positive personality that continues on and keeps her in the hearts and minds of those who have come to know her well, something of a solid and dependable force of nature. No matter what, I will continue to love her to death! :x

P.S. Dors:

Why do I tell me myself these things that happen are all really true

When in my heart I know the magic is my love for you!

It was Good Morning America, but it was an audio only interview (online) The interview was really disappointing (stupid questions and bad research. They said she came from CLEVELAND, OHIO! LOL)

Thanks 'MGMWBRKO'.

And for clarity (and those that may be time-zone challenged)

The Doris Day "Star Of The Month" profile (Long Version) is showing today, Tuesday, at 4:32pm EDT / 1:32pm PDT immediately after *Joy Of Living*.

The Shorter version is showing tonight at 9:50pm EDT / 6:50PDT at the conclusion of *Cape Fear* and before the start of *River Of No Return*.

Kyle In Hollywood

Archived