Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Doris Day featurette -- with wonderful narration by Ms. Day herself!

BingFan

Thanks! I cant catch the afternoon version, but I will make sure to see the night version (I was planning on watching Cape Fear again anyway!) I might even have it recorded from last night as I recorded The Pumpkin Eater. I'll check!

> {quote:title=MGMWBRKO wrote:}{quote}.

>

> The 8:39/Long version is scheduled to run today at 4:32pm

>

> The 6:21/Short version is scheduled to run today at 9:50pm.

MGMWBRKO -

Is this the first time there have been two different lengths of these SOTM Featurettes?

I believe I've seen them all going back to when they first came under the STAR STORIES format. I don't recall there being two lengths before.

Thanks in advance.

Yancey

PS: Wish you would rerun the John Cleese one on W C Fields.

MGMWBRKO- Thanks Again for posting the update for the Doris Day showings. I taped the shorter version yesterday, I didn't get to see the longer one shown at 2 this morning. You just made my day by posting that we can get to enjoy the longer version this afternoon. You are doing a wonderful favor for all of us here by posting the info. Hope you have a Great Day.

I too adore Doris Day! From what I have heard, she does not like to fly (I do believe it is a phobia). For those interested, she has a wonderful official website dorisday.com and often posts audios of news and thanks for her fans.

Perhaps if we all pledge to donate to her worthy animal foundation, she would consider an interview with RO. ?

She is truly a genuinely wonderful person:)

Any more alerts to future airings of the longer version would be very much appreciated, as I would love to record it.

I happened to catch the one today after Joy of Living. What a treat! Just this morning, my dad and I were waxing nostaligic about Doris Day and how much we both love her and her movies. Dad has a neighbor, who happens to be named Doris, who met Doris Day years ago and that she couldn't have been nicer to her. She also said the thing that struck her was how tall Doris was. Such an elegant lady.

Maybe Robert Osborn could do an interview with Doris and have it presented as us hearing the audio of their conversation while clips are being shown. Almost like the Biography ones.

While I believe she doesnt like to fly, I think she uses that as an excuse so as not to appear anywhere (as living in Carmel, she'd almost have to fly to appear anywhere) She did fly to Europe after her TV series ended..........

What a treat..just happened upon the featurette in the middle...hearing that voice...it was Doris, but you knew it was today's (or at least recent) Doris. Huskier, but still her, with all of the personality and enthusiasm. Personally that would be enough for me...not sure I want a really recent image...if she wants it this way, then that is enough...thanks, Doris, for the sharing.

Wow, what a fantastic present from Doris Day......I have been waiting for a long, long time for a new interview with Miss Day, and it was a real treat to hear her commentary about her movies and her co-stars. Miss Day sounds a little older, but that voice (so easily identifiable as hers and hers alone) brought tears to my eyes, espcially at the very end when she said for Turner Classic Movies, this is Doris Day. Kudos to TCM for showing this, and for Miss Day for sharing her memories with us. Doris is an American original and one of the last of the really big superstars of the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Just as an aside, does everyone know that Doris was the first Hollywood celebrity to regularly attend Lakers games? Maybe she'd agree to a one-on-one interview with Magic Johnson, who is part of a group which today won the bidding for the Dodgers. :)

Edited by: finance on Mar 28, 2012 9:27 AM

LOL. Dont hold your breath on that one. I caught the shorter version (I think?) after Cape Fear last night. Her voice sounds a little throatier, but it was definitely HER! Was great to hear her talking (albeit briefly) again about her career and her sign off was great. I'm sure TCM will be using it again for promos for her films...

How we loved going to see all those Doris Day movies in the '60's! I think she's responsible for my penchant towards older women. Funny how she'd been tagged as the original "40 Year Old Virgin".

Sepiatone

http://www.amazon.com/With-Smile-And-Song-CD/dp/B0077PHHDE/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1332959171&sr=1-3

I noticed Sony (with TCM tie in) is releasing a 2 CD set compilation of Doris recordings (apparently with Doris' input) while this barely scratches the surface of her hits, it might be of interest to some. (I'm not sure if I'll buy it. If I could find out what the liner notes are and if there are nice pictures, I might...) Is April 3rd Doris' birthday?

I am very happy that she participated in that featurette. It is wonderful beyond words.

I am saddened that so many people are expecting or demanding that she do more. She left movies at a time she was suffering physically (exhaustion), emotionally (loss of her husband) and financially (she had been betrayed). Most people collapse totally from such combinations of trauma and they never recover. Withdrawal from public life is a natural response. That she is now slowly expanding her public presence is a wonderful sign.

I am sure she knows the dangers which lie ahead if she makes public appearances. Many of those who are now clamoring for her will turn away and say: "she has become so old".

I am and we all should be very appreciative of what she does for us and welcome her return at a pace with which she feels comfortable.

What an unexpected treat and pleasure to watch and hear Doris Day on the recent TCM featurette! She sounds just like the genuine, gracious and humble person I believe she really is. Thank you, Doris, for delighting us TCM fans. We all wish you a very Happy Birthday!

Oddly, Sentimental Journey is not included in the set. But maybe there were rights issues........ Some other big hits earlier in her career arent either...........I hope Romance on the High Seas will be shown early in the evening. I never get tired of seeing that movie. A piece of fluff, but a very entertaining one....

{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif} (Apologies if someone else has already raised this topic, but I don't see it anywhere.)

BingFan, when I saw this I wondered if it was new. I thought it was wonderful. I have to disagree with you, though about Day's "still-youthful" voice. She sounded very foggy to me, the way many (but not all) seniors, both male and female, sound (I've noticed that an increasing number of aging male actors are starting to sound gravelly just like Clint Eastwood, who himself sounds like the late Paul Newman in his later years).

An example of someone who truly sounded youthful past age 70 would be Janet Leigh or, to a lesser extent because of the tremor, Katharine Hepburn.

BLU {font}

I was also thrilled to hear her voice (as other posters here noted it's a little huskier but still sounds

like her voice). She brought us so many great memories from her film roles and she always seemed to be a very nice, personable and likeable person. I've never heard anything bad or unlikeable about her.

If she chooses not to have a personal interview or any cameras on her then let her be. She may want to be remembered as she was. We all have our mental image of her. It was great simply to hear her cheerful voice.

From some of the things I read about her life it's a wonder that she is still around and it's comforting to hear her sound so cheerful. She had a lot of personal tragedy in her life including two bad husbands and the death of her only child. So let's celebrate her life and wish her many more years of good health and happiness.

Hibi said:

{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif}.I hope Romance on the High Seas will be shown early in the evening. I never get tired of seeing that movie. A piece of fluff, but a very entertaining one....{font}

Besides, she looked fabulous! I loved her with long hair when she was young. She was attractive in her 30s and beyond, but really beautiful in her 20s. And those outfits she wears are over-the-top gorgeous! Plus she sings in it...heaven.

I agree with those who said it probably wouldn't be in good taste to pester Ms. Day with requests for interviews. She's a soon-to-be 88-year-old woman who has honored us with this look back at her career and co-stars. Why not be glad she did that? Appearing on camera is her personal choice. Just because some do it (Eva Marie Saint and Lauren Bacall, to name two who were born the same year Day), doesn't mean it's for everyone.

BLU

> {quote:title=SansFin wrote:}{quote}I am very happy that she participated in that featurette. It is wonderful beyond words.

>

> I am saddened that so many people are expecting or demanding that she do more. She left movies at a time she was suffering physically (exhaustion), emotionally (loss of her husband) and financially (she had been betrayed). Most people collapse totally from such combinations of trauma and they never recover. Withdrawal from public life is a natural response. That she is now slowly expanding her public presence is a wonderful sign.

>

> I am sure she knows the dangers which lie ahead if she makes public appearances. Many of those who are now clamoring for her will turn away and say: "she has become so old".

>

> I am and we all should be very appreciative of what she does for us and welcome her return at a pace with which she feels comfortable.

Hear hear, Sansfin.

Since you raised the issue, Eva Marie Saint at 87 sounds extremely youthful. I'll have to disagree about Janet Leigh. I noticed that over the course of her career, her voice got considerably deeper. I believe that she was a heavy smoker.

> {quote:title=bundie wrote:}{quote} ...BingFan, ... I have to disagree with you, though about Day's "still-youthful" voice. She sounded very foggy to me, the way many (but not all) seniors, both male and female, sound (I've noticed that an increasing number of aging male actors are starting to sound gravelly just like Clint Eastwood, who himself sounds like the late Paul Newman in his later years). ...

>

You're right -- what I probably should have said is that her voice, while sounding a bit different, is still readily identifiable as Ms. Day's, with many of the same qualities that it had when she was younger. The voices of other actors (and singers) sometimes change so much with age that they're almost unrecognizable -- definitely not the case with Ms. Day's.

As I said earlier, it would have been hard to mistake that voice for anyone else's. Among other things, it still had the "cheerful" tone that went beyond just the words she was saying, a quality that she used so well in her movies and recordings when the content called for it. (She was also very good at using her voice to convey other moods, of course.)

On another topic that folks have raised, I think it's great that so many people would like to see a full interview with Ms. Day -- as long as we keep in mind that, despite any disappointment that might result, we have to respect her ultimate decision if she continues to decline the offer. Because Ms. Day has brought so much happiness to me through her movies and music, I think I owe her that respect. She doesn't owe me anything -- in fact, she's already given me much more than I can ever repay.

It was such a thrill to watch this Doris Day featurette and to actually hear her own, lovely voice! Thank you, Ms. Day, for consenting to do this wonderful piece for TCM and thrilling all of your fans. And I must say, that whoever did the editing on this, did an excellent job. It was extremely well done!

Archived