Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New Doris Day featurette -- with wonderful narration by Ms. Day herself!

BingFan

Sadly, they are showing Romance on the High Seas at 3AM! WTH? While I didnt expect TCM to show her films in order I would've thought they'd kick off the week with her first film. NOT to be! :(

According to some sources Day will be 90. (she denies this)

Edited by: Hibi on Mar 29, 2012 11:37 AM

I was able to catch the longer version which is on something I recorded a few nights ago (after a film) last night. That one adds more stills/films and a little more commentary.

I have to agree with Bingfan in that Day's voice DID sound near as it did in her heyday. If you're gonna go on about who's voice has changed over the years, bringing up Eastwood is a good example. Never having a strong voice to begin with, it got raspier and weaker as the years passed. But I disagree with it sounding l;ike Newman's. Paul's voice WAS a bit raspier as he aged, but deeper in tone than Eastwoods. But NOBODY'S voice got deeper and raspier as they aged like Polly Bergen's!

Sepiatone

Yes, a lot of tragedy. Really, all her husbands were bad. Using (or abusing) her. The Melcher marriage lasted a long time, but he squandered her fortune and if he had not died when he did would've bankrupted her........I think the 2nd husband couldn't deal with her career and left, so I guess he wasnt too bad. DD was never lucky in love........

Are these sit-down interviews with RO edited before showing? Maybe she's concerned about the direction the interview might take and that she might make responses that she would later regret. (In addition to being reluctant to appear on camera.)

Edited by: finance on Mar 29, 2012 5:18 PM

I'm sure they are edited. For time and other reasons (dead space etc.).........

I'm sure there are some DD haters out there. (havent commented here lately...)

> Are these sit-down interviews with RO edited before showing?

Yep. There may be problems with the camera, with the mics, she may stumble over words and ask for a retake, Robert O may swallow words when he talks and ask for a retake.

Someone may misspeak, catch themselves, and ask for retake. They may have to change the lighting, break while Robert O or the interviewee takes a sip of water because their throat got dry.

Any myriad of reasons for retakes and the interviews are usually longer and cover more topics and that all adds to why they are edited.

The unedited versions of many of the previous *Private Screenings* are available via podcasts here on the website.

> Maybe she's concerned about the direction the interview might take and that she might make responses that she would later regret.

She shouldn't be. Anyone who has watched previous *Private Screenings* can tell the care that goes into making an interviewee feel comfortable.

Considering the number of stars who have sat down with Robert O over the years and talked about their careers and their choices in life, the crew (and the editors) are very cognizant of making an interviewee feel comfortable. Witness Robert O's wonderful interview with Betty Hutton.

I doubt anyone at TCM would intentionally embarrass an interviewee nor would they intentionally edit an interview to show the interviewee in a bad light.

They aren't TMZ, they are TCM and they respect the people who graciously agree to be interviewed.

> Like you, I would have expected an executive, or maybe the director (Michael Curtiz), to offer the part to Ms. Day, but it sure sounded like Jack himself made the offer: "How would you like to be in my movie?"

I suspect that after the decision had been made by studio brass, up to and including Jack Warner, to cast Day, either they asked Carson, or he asked his bosses, to be the one to carry the news to Day.

An aunt of mine had had a friend who'd worked at Warner Bros. from the late 1930s. When I met him on my first trip to California in 1978, I pumped him for reminiscences about various notables he might've met or known, from Cagney to composers Max Seiner and Erich Wolfgang Korngold, and asked about Carson. My new friend recalled him as being every bit the big, sweet galoot you see in his films (his excellent portrayal of venal publicity chief Libby in A STAR IS BORN excepted).

It's always nice to have a fond impression confirmed by someone with first-hand knowledge.

>NOBODY'S voice got deeper and raspier as they aged like Polly Bergen's!

Oh, yeah? Listen to the mature Suzanne Pleshette sometime! She made Lauren Bacall sound like Lina Lamont and Billy Dawn ("put t'gith'r," as Lina was given to say).

"Considering the number of stars who have sat down with Robert O over the years and talked about their careers and their choices in life, the crew (and the editors) are very cognizant of making an interviewee feel comfortable. Witness Robert O's wonderful interview with Betty Hutton.

I doubt anyone at TCM would intentionally embarrass an interviewee nor would they intentionally edit an interview to show the interviewee in a bad light.

They aren't TMZ, they are TCM and they respect the people who graciously agree to be interviewed."

I could not agree more with what lz cutter wrote. Robert Osborne is a class act. How many years had Betty Hutton been "out of the spotlight"? And he had Betty Hutton chatting away in the interview. It sounded like they were old friends and I am sure that is because Robert Osborne makes everyone feel comfortable.

I'm sure that is the case, not really wanting to put herself out there. She already wrote her autobiography years ago. I just think she doesnt want to rehash it all over again and worry about how she'll look to her fans. And I can see her side. She has a nice life and that part of her career she's put behind her......

It would be a great coup if RO could persuade her, but I think the voice over is all we are going to get. But I'm thankful for that. I'm sure it was done with her fans in mind. Something she could do in her comfort zone.........

Edited by: Hibi on Mar 30, 2012 7:25 AM

I would love to see that interview, maybe TCM could be persuaded to rebroadcast it. I have always been a Betty Hutton fan and would love to hear her share a bit of her story, I suspect it was both exciting and sad at the same time. I have read that the cast of the movie "ANNIE GET YOUR GUN" treated her shamefully and I would like to understand why. Betty made and lost a small fortune in her career and if memory serves me she spend her last years working as a domestic i feel she probably made a lot of mistakes in her life and her choice in men being a big part of it. 20 years or so ago I was watching a "down memory lane" show on PBS with singing stars of the 1940,s and Betty was on it she sang a couple of songs one being her signature "MURDER SHE SAID" I loved every moment.

Edited by: stjohnrv on Mar 30, 2012 12:11 PM

They show the interview occasionally. You'll have to watch for it. It's a great interview! I know she's talked about how badly she was treated on Annie, but Howard Keel and George Sidney contradicted her account in interviews, so hard to know what to believe..........

I love her singing. I have 4 or 5 Cds worth of compilations from her movies and old recordings. She introduced a lot of Frank Loesser songs......

Edited by: Hibi on Mar 30, 2012 1:04 PM

Yes, it's not uncommon for some movie stars to not show themselves

too much when they get up in age. It's a perfectly understandable thing,

especially for folks whose personal appearance was a big part of their

lives. And as you said, she's probably already said everything she's wanted

to say about her career and just wants to live her life in peace and quiet.

Actually, it's not true that Ms. Day doesn't want to show herself to the public as some have mentioned, as if she were some kind of recluse. She simply is choosing to live a quieter life away from the spotlight. If you go to her website, you can see a picture of her from just a couple years ago in her remodeled kitchen:http://www.dorisday.com/ (go to Multimedia and then Timeline).

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Ms. Day! I thank you, and my mother thanks you! I hope you are online and have a chance to read the comments of your appreciative fans, or that someone will bring them to your attention. As a fifty year old grandmother I grew up on your movies. I’ve been introducing my children to classic movies, including yours, and I hope when my grandchildren are older they will love them just as much as three generations before them already have. My mother and I have been enjoying listening to your comments on your movies and can’t tell you how much it means to hear you discuss your marvelous career. You have given us so much entertainment and enjoyment. My personal favorites are “The Man Who Knew Too Much” and “Please Don’t Eat the Daisies.” The drama and emotions you convey without ever saying a word in the first are brilliant! I so wanted to be the mother in “Please Don’t Eat the Daisies!” And of course your movies with Rock Hudson, James Garner, Cary Grant, Gordon McRae, and Tony Randall are marvelous--Oh, you lucky girl! You have never failed to make me laugh and just sit back, stop whatever I’m working on, and enjoy myself. I love your movies and music—if you hadn’t guessed already. My Christmas season is never complete without hearing one of your songs while shopping or driving through a “Winter Wonderland.” It’s that, “Ah, now, there’s Christmas,” moment. But truly it’s Christmas every time one of your movies is on. Thanks for celebrating your birthday week with us all! We love and miss you! Let’s make this an annual event TCM!

:) I got to hear the whole thing this morning and was astounded at her positive attitude, considering all the sad turns her life has taken-nobody should outlive his/her children-and her gratitude for the success she has had in her career. I've read very few negative comments from co-workers and she never seems to have met one she didn't like. I, too, would love to hear more from her but respect that she wants a quieter life as she ages. We do not own her, she does not owe us anything, so please respect her as a fellow human being and let her be. She's leaving us with quite a body of work and for that I thank her.

Just like the Buster Keaton one, there is a longer and shorter version of this Star Of The Month piece airing. Yes, Doris is a delight as she recaps her exceptional career. I wonder why this tribute isn't spread out over the month though instead of all crammed into one weeks programming?

Maybe to give as many people as possible a chance to see a few films. If it's the same night for a whole month as it usually is, certain people may not be able to watch on that night because of work, social, or other commitments.Also, maybe since Doris is so loved, it's a way to differentiate it from most SOTM presentations.

Edited by: finance on Apr 1, 2012 3:04 PM

Archived