Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
BingFan

New Doris Day featurette -- with wonderful narration by Ms. Day herself!

> {quote:title=SansFin wrote:}{quote}I am very happy that she participated in that featurette. It is wonderful beyond words.

>

> I am saddened that so many people are expecting or demanding that she do more. She left movies at a time she was suffering physically (exhaustion), emotionally (loss of her husband) and financially (she had been betrayed). Most people collapse totally from such combinations of trauma and they never recover. Withdrawal from public life is a natural response. That she is now slowly expanding her public presence is a wonderful sign.

>

> I am sure she knows the dangers which lie ahead if she makes public appearances. Many of those who are now clamoring for her will turn away and say: "she has become so old".

>

> I am and we all should be very appreciative of what she does for us and welcome her return at a pace with which she feels comfortable.Well said! Thank you!!

People are already comparing what her voice sounds like - an 88 year old woman!! Who would want to make a public appearance after that and be ripped to shreds after being compared to what they looked like in a movie they made 50 years ago? The irony is that some of the comments like this throughout the internet come from people only around 20 years her junior. Go figure.

It was great to hear her voice. I love her films and her singing voice always puts me in a great mood! What a doll!!

Yes. True! I forgot about that.

It's too bad they couldnt have included Calamity Jane, Man Who Knew Too Much and Pajama Game (which TCM rarely shows) 3 of her very best. I could've done without Lullaby of Broadway, Tunnel of Love and a few others........

Today (April 2), National Public Radio's Fresh Air show will feature an interview with Ms. Day. Here's a link to a summary of the segment, including some highlights from the interview:

http://www.npr.org/2012/04/02/149392321/doris-day-a-hollywood-legend-reflects-on-life

If you miss the broadcast in your area, I believe the link above will later refer you to a streaming version of the segment.

Thanks for the url. Anyone know why Doris is wearing sunglasses in her kitchen? (LOL).......

It was a real surprise to hear Miss Day in the new featurette- but a very pleasant one, especially as I had read in one (or more?) sources that Dodo was none-too-eager to discuss her Hollywood career (even declining an invite to accept her Kennedy Center honor, and apparently not because it meant being civil to then-president GW Bush.)

It was quite nice to hear her views on her career and costars (and new blood is needed most desperately for the between-films segments on the net.)

However: I have to join others in wondering aloud why Day's whole SOTM salute is crammed into several successive days the first week of April. It's too much at once, it monopolizes the whole prime time schedule (personally, I like Doris, but she's not one whose films I make it a point to see) and it makes the tribute less special.

Thanks for the new feature TCM, thanks for taking the time to share Miss Day, but please, in the future: MAKE THE "STAR OF THE MONTH" SALUTE, you know, LAST THROUGH THE WHOLE MONTH.

Otherwise it's just "Star of the Week" and how special is that?

Edited by: JonnyGeetar on Apr 4, 2012 9:04 AM

I personally think the way that it is scheduled makes the tribute MORE special. You can't get away from Doris even if you try. I even watched most of LUCKY ME this morning, which I had barely heard of.

Yeah, but it makes it hard to clear your schedule during the week if you want to watch something (or make space on your dvr) when the star is on every night. I hope this isnt a trend..........

I think Doris was more agreeable to participate in the audio commentary because she didnt have to appear anywhere. Her problem is making public appearances.........

I have to agree with you. I absolutely love Doris Day. She's absolutely my favorite female star, but having all these movies (which are filling up my dvr) shown in one week is too much at once. After Saturday, which is only the 7th of the month, Please Don't Eat The Daisies is the only movie shown for the remainder of the month. How is she celebrated during the other three weeks of her SOTM? IMO, the movies should be spread throughout the month.

Tonight, right after the airing of "Storm Warning," Robert Osborne made mention about Doris that her greatest song was the Oscar winning "Que Sera Sera." I will admit that the song was quite popuar and later on served as the theme to her television show. However, I have to wonder about this issue, since she has two other great songs of her career to remember and I beleive just as popular, "It's Magic," her first big motion picture theme song and "Secret Love," that also won an Oscar for "best song." In later years, I guess it was natural to see "Que Sera Sera" become so identified with Doris; due in part to the record sales and the young fans of the late 1950's that later on became adults by the time Doris was going strong in her sitcom. I'm just a little old fashion and feel "Secret Love" is the real winner of her career.

*"I hope this isnt a trend...."* - Hibi

I am guessing that showing the Day films in a single week is the result of wanting to showcase two other events this month during a single week.

Next week four of the five weeknights are devoted to programming that coincides with events from the Classic Film Festival - "Bob's Pick's/Travis Banton", Peter O'Toole Original Production, Liza Minnelli, "Happy Anniversary", *A Night To Remember*, etc. And then TCM is celebrating "Spring Break" all week the following week.

Because TCM wanted those two events to be showcased in single weeks, it sort of forced all of Doris Day's films into a single week also.

But I don't think it will be a trend.

Kyle In Hollywood

I agree with you Movie Professor, Secret Love has always been my favorite Doris Day song.

Kyle, thanks for that info, it makes sense. Most likely if Ms. Day's birthday had been in March or May a month of her films would have been shown. It is a bit much, but still grateful that TCM is doing the tribute and we're getting to see the films and RO's bits of info.

Wow, do people really *like* that version of TMWKTM?

It was sooooooooo far inferior to the 1934 version as to be bilious. Then again, I rank Day right up (down) there with Julie Andrews.

I feel sorry for those who adore her.

> {quote:title=MovieProfessor wrote:}{quote}. I'feel "Secret Love" is the real winner of her career.

As well-versed in you are in movies, Herr Profesor, I assume you have seen the excellent 1995(?) documentary on gay representations in films, The Celluloid Closet. They take special time out to look at Doris Day (apparently something of a lesbian icon, who knew?) and her performance in Calamity Jane, playing a large chunk of Secret Love to suggest a hidden Sapphic undercurrent. The screenwriter of Cabaret also has some interesting opinions on Doris's movies and persona.

I also recall reading that when Secret Love was to be performed at the 1954 Oscar Ceremony, Doris couldn't do it, so they came across another actress who volunteered (Ann Blyth maybe?) but the actress was pregnant, and there were worries that the line "now my secret love's no secret anymore" would be given a new meaning.

Try and extract that much subtext from Que Sera Sera, I dare you.

(personally I like It's Magic )

Doris has so many iconic songs to her credit - Sentimental Journey for instance. I always thought that Que Sera Sera was her personally chosen theme song.

I see. That's good. It's just too much all at once..........

Yes, I've seen both versions and I like the 50s version much better........

It sort of became one over the years. Oddly, initially, Doris didnt think much of the song, thinking it was just a kiddie song and was surprised when it became a big hit........

In terms of sales, "Whatever Will Be, Will Be" (Que Sera Sera) was the top-selling recording in Miss Day's career. In addition to being introduced in the Hitchcock film and serving as the theme for her television series, Miss Day sang a bit of the song in both "Please Don't Eat the Daisies" (1960) and "The Glass Bottom Boat" (1966). As far as a song, Miss Day sang any number of numbers that were vastly superior and in some ways the enormous success of "Que Sera Sera" and the fact that it is still so associated with her, gives many the impression that Doris Day doesn't have an amazing library of more than 700 songs including some amazing recording work that deserves to be heard and appreciated.

**** Jonny! (The pregnancy Oscar bit) Yeah, I was aware of how that song became a theme song for gays of that era. (Little did Doris know! LOL)...........I think they showed clips of that in the doumentary. Wasnt it shown on TCM?

Their loss. Nothing to be sorry about!