Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Most tearful film endings

I must admit that I shed tears during many film scenes.

For instance, last night I watched "Flying Down To Rio" with Astaire and Rogers. The fact that they are no longer dancing together really gets to me.

My choice for the most tear causing film ending is "Adventure" with Clark Gable,Greer Garson,Thomas Mitchell,and Joan Blondell.

It is also one of my favorite films.

I watch a lot of movies that I cry through, but I am a slobbering mess when I watch Beaches (1988, Bette Midler). Ugh!!! I have to be completely prepared to watch that movie cuz it ruins my whole day. Now that is what I call a sad ending!

oooh! Good topic!

I must say, after watching Sweet Charity (Shirley Maclaine) I wanted to shed some tears. The fact that she doesn't tell her friends that Oscar left her at the alter and that she lives "hopefully ever after" made me yell at the screen,

"Just tell them!!!!"

Well I've shed tears of joy maybe at a film ending but I'm thinking here about tears of sadness, and for me the ultimate sad ending is Vertigo, always makes me cry! James Stewart (Scottie) makes Kim Novak (Judy) over into Madeline...then forces her to go up to the tower where Madeline died. He's really in love with Madeline but Judy wishes for him to love her for who she is. The lines "Oh Madeline I loved you so." are so sad because he's talking to Judy....then he loses her too as she falls from the tower. He's left standing all alone looking over the edge of the tower.

Also "The Edy Duchin Story" with Thyrone Power and Kim Novak is very sad. Edy dies while playing piano with his son, but his son keeps playing through the tears...very emotional ending. Defintely a tear jerker.

I still say that nothing beats the finales of both versions of "Imitation of Life". I still bawl when I watch them.

Others include the ending of "The Good Earth", "Captains Courageous", "Madame X", "Stella Dallas", etc.

Mongo

I have to agree with Mongo with "Imitation of Life."

Other films that always make me cry are "Steel Magnolias" during the funeral scene, "It's a Wonderful Life" when Jimmy Stewart sees what life would've been like if he never existed, and "The Trip to Bountiful" when Geraldine Page is pleading with the sheriff to take her to Bountiful.

And whoever mentioned "Beaches" is right - that one's definitely a tearjerker also.

All of the movies I've seen listed in this thread so far have definitely been "tear jerkers" for me, but none perhaps so much as "Captains Courageous". There are several scenes throughout this movie that completely wreck me! I also recall that several scenes in "Spartacus" brought lots and lots of tears, especially near the ending when his wife is bidding him farewell. Just too much for me.

Well I just cried at the ending of City Lights. Not for the sadness, but for the sweetness of it. When the blind girl (or should I say formerly blind girl) recognizes Charlie Chaplin by the touch of his hand -- Oh! It touched my heart.

Howabout a lump in the throat? That's all I'll admit to for the ending of 1939s Love Affair. Charles Boyer did the deed with not a word of dialogue.

Not an ending, I know, but ET on the operating table was touch and go. I had all the kiddies with me and they were going on....wow, that was a close one.

Brief Encounter does me in every time. When hubby says, thank you for ... (no spoiler here!), my heart just aches! Such sweet simplicity.

Also Dances With Wolves, for all the injustices done to Native Americans and the animals. But it goes beyond that: the stupidity of some people to believe their way is better than another's without considering otherwise. To shoot the wolf for no good reason, after Dunbar had developed a sacred trust. Why????? I just cry!

maperette

"Dance of the Saimese Children" from The King and I. In a couple of other moments as well, i.e., when a letter is read to Anna from the King. Gets me everytime. I don't do much misting in general, but it happens, especially when I'm watching a movie alone.

Also, at the end of The Brothers Karamazov, Yul tries to appease the boy's sense of honor with gifts but ends up having to apologize and ask forgiveness of the boy's father in earnest.

(These two movies came to mind and I just realized that they both have Yul. How wierd!)

In the early 80's, Bette Davis was interviewed on a PBS special. She mentioned how she had to continually assert herself during her tenure at Warner's. In particular, she told how she fought with Jack Warner not to have the music turned up as she climbed the stairs and prayed by her bed at the end of DARK VICTORY. She was critical of Max Steiner's music and believed the violins overshadowed her performance. She won, the music was toned down.

Watching her recall this incident was rather amusing. Of course, as she told the story she puffed away.

CowbTony

I agree with many of the choices: "Captains Courageous", "Stella Dallas", "Dark Victory"...."Waterloo Bridge"...the latter with such an "unfair" ending.

I would also add the endings of "Letter from an Unknown Woman", "Portrait of Jennie", "Shadowlands" and "Anna Karenina".

Yes, I agree, that "Waterloo Bridge" most certainly has one of the moviestory endings that leaves that haunting hurting in you, that you walk around contemplating over in your mind for several days afterward, with a need to cry stuck about midway down your neck in your throat. Romance Dramas are my most favorite genre of truly classic films. I divide the "tearjerkers" into three categories: 1~ MOST TEARFUL "SAD" (so unfair and unright seeming, or simply tragic) ENDINGS: ~ which includes such films as, "Waterloo Bridge" -'40, "Joan Of Paris" -'42, "Tomorrow Is Forever" -'46, "Humoresque" -'47, "Arch Of Triumph" -'48, "Love Is A Many-Splendored Thing" -'55,... 2~ MOST TEARFUL "SAVED" ENDINGS: ~ which includes such films as, "Love Affair" -'39, "Hold Back The Dawn" -'41, "Random Harvest" -'42, "Love Letters" -'45,... 3~ MOST TEARFUL "LEFT UNSOLVED" (semi-frustrating) ENDINGS: ~ which includes such films as, "Casablanca" -'42, "Now, Voyager" -'42,... - Just a few examples here. But, there are many others I know of that ALL are "tearjerkers", but, to me, have this distinction that separates them into one of these three categories. I'm new to TCM's website. And at first I found the section in Film Noir, and within the comments on the topic of Femme Fatales, where someone had commented about the crossover "sub-genre" of "Noir Weepies". So, my first replys were written there. But, tonight, I clicked to see what was in this Favorites section, and found this subject "Most Tearful Film Endings". And so now I've truly found "my" type of Classic Movies subject matter!

There are some moviestory endings, that I can't clarify to the feeling in myself, whether it was a "SAD" sentimental ending, or a "RESOLVED" sentimental ending, such as: "Portrait Of Jennie" -'48. In the end, was Miss Spinney (Ethel Barrymore's character's part -or, point- in the story) the older Jennie Appleton, who'd "found her way back" to Eben Adams ? !! ~ If so, it wasn't made clear enough for me to feel it was a "SAVED" emotional ending. And if his Jennie really was ended from time immortal, and wouldn't be returning again to Eben, then it was indeed for me, the type of ending that justifies the "regretful", "mourning" feeling that this movie's ending actually did leave me with.