Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Most tearful film endings

Definitely both versions of Imitation of Life. I still cry even when I've watched them each 30 or 40 times. Maytime with Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy. What a beautiful screen at the end!

To Each His Own with Olivia de Havilland. All her life she wanted her son and finally he realizes she's right there dancing with him. Very sweet.

Wendy

I started to post under "Tearjerking Films" but this is more appropriate. The end of "The Last of the Mohicans" always makes me tear up, maybe because I am part Native American, Leni Lenape, which are Algonkins or Delawares, closely related to the Mohawk and Mohican. But, I think it must be sad also for anyone. At the end, Chingachgook, who has just seen his only son Uncas, the final hope for restoring the nearly extinct Mohican tribe, killed offers a prayer: "Great Spirit, a warrior goes to you. Straight and swift as an arrow shot into the Sun. Welcome him to the council fires of my people. He is Uncas, my son. Tell them to be patient for they are all there-save one. Chingachgook, last of the Mohicans." In these few words the tragedy of my people; those who first settled, explored,lived on , died on yet never OWNED this continent, is presented simply, and without rancor or self-pity.

There are a few movies I have to say no matter how many times I watch them, always bring a tear to my eyes at the end. I suppose I'll start with Penny Serenade(although, I cry so often during this movie I'm not sure I'd say I can hold my tears till the end). Same with Blossums in the Dust; it's hard to wait till the end to cry. I've also shed a few tears close to the end of With a Song in my Heart(the musical sequence towards the end honoring America...I just can't make it through that; it's too patriotic and beautiful). I'll also pick another Susan Hayward favorite, My Foolish Heart(what a great and tearful ending). I admit I do tear up pretty good when Barbra Streisand meets Robert Redford again at the end of The Way We Were. I think it's when the music starts that it really gets me. But I have to say that Waterloo Bridge is by far the best tearful ending ever. This is the only movie where I actually cry at the beginning, just knowing how it's going to end. It's simply superb.

I realize this isn't a "classic movie" but in "Up Close and Personal" (spoilers) when she sees his boots on the screen and realizes he is dead, oh I was just sick. *end spoilers* I also bawled like a baby in "Now Voyager" when Davis is talking with Hendried's (sp?)daughter who is depressed at the clinic. I also, like everyone else, cried happy tears when James Stewart gets all the money he needs from the town in "Its a Wonderful Life." Oh, and I just watched Finding Neverland *spoilers* and I couldn't stop crying at the end when Depp's character is talking to the little boy about the unfair death of his mother, who was a widow herself. Great movie, but sad, sad ending. *end spoilers*I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of any more off the top of my head.

Well this isn't really a sad ending. But when I was younger and I saw "Breakfast at Tiffany's I got so sad during the scene where she kicks cat out of the cab. There is nothing more pathetic than that poor things face soaking wet from the rain. I just remember feeling so bad for it.

I know this isn't a classic, but I watch an independant film (think) this weekend that had me in tears:

The Mighty (1998)

with: Elden Henson, Kieran Culkin, Harry Dean Stanton, Gena Rowlands, Sharon Stone and Gillian Anderson

a must see.

Oh, that's the movie I forgot, "The Old Maid." That movie made me cry like crazy. I'm also glad like you I was in my room alone watching it because I swear I started to get hysterical! Oh, yeah, and I just watched Mr. Holland's Opus for like the 5th time, and when all his former students surprise him and play his symphony...ah...I can't stop crying through the whole thing. Forget that, I'm crying off and on through the whole movie!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I love this topic because I love Tearjerkers =)

Here is my list ...

Day of the Dolphin, Stella Dallas, Immitation of Life (Lana Turner), Madame X, The Champ, On Borrowed Time, Immortal Beloved, Romeo and Juliet, Of Mice and Men, Beaches, Capatains Courageous, Cyrano De Bergerac (With Gerard Depardieu), Life Is Beautiful, and Made for Each Other...Just to name a few =)

bggalaxy- i love " The Mighty!", it is a great movie! The ending wasn't as sad for me because we read the book in my 8th grade class ("Freak The Mighty" is the book's title by the way and i think it is even better than the movie). I also highly reccomend both!

And....My most tearful ending would have to be "West Side Story" when little John (is that his name? It was the blonder-less tough- of The Jets)puts the black scarf of mourning over Maria (Natalie Wood's) head and her monologue (sp?) is great too. But i really cried the most when Officer Krumkee walked over to Tony's dead body but maria just dashed over to the corpse and screamed "Don't you touch him!" it was just...Wow. ~Andie

• 2 weeks later...

i dont know the name of the film but lana turner was the main star her daughter was sandra dee she had a black maid who also had a daughter but she was more white than black and she wouldnt except that the black lady was her mother and for years her kept up her daughters pretence that she wasnt her mother to save her embaresment the young girl hated her mother and when passed on the daughter ran up to horse draw carriage with her mothers coffin in and was crying and saying im sorry mom .i was choked and you felt sorry for the black lady

and in my oppinion she should have been the star this black lady was absolute fabulious .

jmightyyoung- The movie you are refering to ,I believe, is Imitation of Life. The 1959 version had Lana Turner as Lora Merideth and Juanita Moore as Annie Johnson. This movie will certainly get the tears flowing! Its a wonderful film and everytime I watch it( even though I know the ending) I cry.

Jalanna

Well this is COMPLETELY opposite to what you have all said. The movie which had the waterworks leaking was Arsenic and Old Lace. I was laughing so hard i was crying- so i guess it's kind of the same thing.

Anyone else find it halarious?

This humble reporter has never cried at the end of any film ever.

Wait...THIS JUST IN. The most humble reporter ace reporter ggg cried and wept like a baby at the finale of The Killing because all that hard work went for nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

An Affair to Remember - I have seen this movie many many times and bawl like a baby everytime.

The best years of our lives - This movie is one of the greatest movies I have seen. I cry from beginning to end.

Up close and Personal - The ending always gets me.

Radio - This is a movie I think should be shown in all Schools. I don't know if any of you ever seen this movie but it is with Cuba Gooding Jr. and Ed Harris. Is a wonderful and touching movie actually a true story.

Return to Me - With David Duchovney and Minnie Driver is a definately tops for me for romance movies.

• 3 weeks later...

The Search - with Monty Clift, Aline McMahon, Jarmilla

Novotna and Ivan Jandl.

If you're not reaching for a hankie at the end of this film you're beyond help. Superb film - not to be missed.

Maytime -- with Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy.

Their best work - fantastic music - glorious

sets and gowns - and a beautiful ending sequence.

Blossoms in the Dust - with Greer Garson and Walter Pidgeon. Greer and Walter are great together in this

story of Edna Gladney who fought to have the label "Illegitimate" removed from birth certificates.

Marsha Hunt is also very moving as Greer's adopted sister whose tragedy sets the story in motion. Color is absolutely gorgeous. See it next time TCM shows it!

Love Affair - Cary Grant and Irene Dunne with wonderful

support from Maria Ouspenskaya.

This film has everthing = romance, cynicism, nostalgia and beautiful music (Irene's vocal of Martini's "Plaisir d'amour" is hauntingly beautiful). If you don't have a lump in your throat at the end of the film you're a stronger viewer than I.

How Green Was My Valley - Roddy McDowall, Maureen O'Hara,

Donald Crisp, Anna Lee, Walter Pidgeon.

The finale with little Roddy and his father at the bottom of the mine shaft - utterly shattering. How Green Was My Valley indeed. Film making at its very best.

Tale of Two Cities - with Ronald Colman. Colman's finest hour. And Isabel Jewell as the little seamstress is outstanding in her small part. Keep the Kleenex handy.

This is a film for the ages.

Hi Erzbet, I Agree With You 100%. I've Seen The Search At Least a Dozen Times, And I Can't Watch It Without Crying LOl.What About Tommorow Is Forever, Or 3 Came Back?? Ouch. I Look Foward To Yours, Or Anyones Reply. Sincerly, XXMASS.

• 2 months later...