• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Most tearful film endings

I get the old lump in the throat at these lovelies:

The Bride of Frankenstein

400 Blows

Pather Panchali

Nights of Cabiria (remade as Sweet Charity, but I perfer Giulietta Masina)

The Hustler (remember Piper Laurie's last scene)

McCabe and Mrs. Miller

Au Hasard Balthazar

Remains of the Day

The film that made me weep the most was Wit, with Emma Thompson. I know it's not big-screen entertainment, but it's still a film, and it's got one of the finest performances I've ever seen and since both my parents (and countless others I've known) passed away from cancer, my wife and I had to go to opposite ends of our old apartment just to recover from watching it. Wow.

Similarly, there was TV-movie way-back-when called Happy with Dom DeLuise. He played Happy the clown and his buddy was in the hospital and one day he went to see him and strolled down the hallway joking with the nurses while carrying flowers for his pal but when he got to his room, the bed was empty. The look on DeLuise's face as he figured out his friend had passed away was simply devastating. Maybe it was because I was a kid when I saw it, but it kind of choked me up. Dom DeLuise! Go figure.

This movie is so obscure that Leonard Maltin didn't even include it in his 2003 Movie and Video Guide. It was "Cactus in the Snow" released in 1972 and starred Richard Thomas as a young soldier trying to lose his virginity the night before being shipped out to Vietnam. After failing with several of the wrong type of women, he meets a girl who truly cares about him, but fails in his mission when her parents come home unexpectedly. As he gets on the bus to leave for deployment, she asks him his name - which he hadn't told her yet. The door closes as he mouths his name. *Spoiler alert* At the end, she tells her friend that his name was Harley McIntosh. She found out when a representative of the Army came to her home and informed her that he had been killed in action.

I suppose that this hit me hard because I identified with the character at a time when many of my friends were fighting over there and I knew that I could be called anytime. After watching it,I went to a local watering hole and had a few beers with a couple of guys I knew and listened to them dog on the movie. I think it bothered them too, but they were to macho to admit it. I've never seen the movie again since that time, but I would be willing if it were ever made available.

Message was edited by:

CharlieT

Hello! This is my first TCM post. I can't believe no one has mentioned the final scene from "Since You Went Away" with Claudette Colbert, Jennifer Jones and Shirley Temple. This is my favorite WWII film with so many great moments.

I finally had a chance to watch the 1949 version of Little Women (which was better than I thought it was going to be, and will be on later this month). While I won't say the ending was particularly tearful, especially since I knew what was coming, I found myself choking up throughout the first 90 minutes or so of the film. Though others may call a movie like this "overly sentimental", I don't mind having a tear in my eye at all.

I SAW "NOTEBOOK", THEN BOUGHT THE DVD. THE WHOLE STORY IS SO ROMANTIC. I ONLY WISH I MAY LOOK BACK ON MY MARRIAGE, THAT WAY. GARNER & ROWLANDS WERE SO REALISTIC. AS WERE YOUNG GOSLING & McADAMS. I ALSO CRIED THRU MOST OF THE MOVIE. ESPECIALLY, WHEN JAMES GARNER SAYS.....YOUR MOTHER IS MY HOME. OH.......PASS THE KLEENEX.

I BELIEVE THIS WILL BECOME A CLASSIC, FOR YEARS TO COME.

I WILL READ ANY NOVEL BY NICHOLAS SPARKS, NOW. A TEARFUL ENDING, OF TWO PEOPLE'S LOVE. LOVE THAT CAN DO ANYTHING........

I agree - the Notebook is headed for classicville. I was warned not to watch it by my friend who is my kleenex monitor - she knows I don't like to cry and so reviews all movies for me. She ended up watching it with me, but surprisingly enough, it wasn't the last 5 minutes that got me - it was when the girl saw the studio.

But I cry at weird movies - like Fast Times at Ridgemont High and Harry Potter.

My fave classic scene to enjoy with a tissue - Judy singing "I'll be home for Christmas."

Gotta' love her.

THE STUDIO, THE WHOLE HOUSE, HE KEPT HIS PROMISE. SOME OTHER, REAL ROMANTIC MOVIES, ONES WITH A DEEP STORY ARE....SOMMERSBY, WITH RICHARD GERE & JODIE FOSTER. MY SON BOUGHT IT FOR ME, YEARS AGO. GERE WANTS TO BE A BETTER MAN, THAN IN HIS PAST. A MYSTERY. A VERY MOVING ENDING. YOU'LL LIKE IT. EVEN MY HUSBAND ENJOYED IT. ANOTHER IS.......MY LIFE, WITH MICHAEL KEATON & NICOLE KIDMAN. HE'S DYING AND HOPES TO SEE HIS UNBORN CHILD, FIRST. DEEPLY MOVING STORY, ABOUT LOVE AND FAMILY.

I MUST SAY.......STEEL MAGNOLIAS...IS ONE OF MY FAVORITES. THE

LOVE OF FAMILY AND FRIENDS. A MOTHER'S LOVE FOR

HER CHILD. EVEN THRU LIFE AND DEATH. SALLY FIELD

AND JULIA ROBERTS, ARE REAL BELIEVABLE, AS MOTHER

AND DAUGHTER.

• 3 weeks later...

I cry everytime I watch The Notebook! I just can't get myself to stop.The first time I watched it,I was deppressed for two days.I also cry at the end of Gone With the Wind when I think of Rhett possibly never coming back and all of the other beloved characters that have died.

Don't know if it's been mentioned in previous pages, but I always cry at "Waterloo Bridge", when Vivian decides to throw herself in front of the car.

Who can forget Wallace Berry in "The Champ"???

Kleenex please...

Thered was a film I saw long ago called 'The 25th Hour' with Anthony Quinn and I believe a beautiful Itaalian actress whose name escapes me now but she played a showgirl with Jack Lemmon & Terry Thomas. Was that gal Monica Vitti? BUT in 25th Hour, the last frame with Quinn holding back his anguish and tears really got to me.

Now, Voyager - with Betty Davis and Paul Henried. I think that movie is so moving at the end. They shared this beautiful love for each other, and there is a sort of unspoken agreement between them. They know they will always love each other although they have agreed to do nothing about it. It keeps a sense of strong moral fiber alive. You are sad they can't be together, but at the same time you are still glad they found each other because you know each of their lives better in a way due to the other person. It is a tear-jerker without having to be anything extreme, or without a main character dying.