Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mysasha915

Most tearful film endings

A Fare Well To Arms is sad .I liked the version with Rock Hudson and Jennifer Jones .I cry all the time when I see the ending .I first saw this movie with my mom .we were huddled on the couch sipping tea and Jennifer Jone character dies I lost it It is a tragic ending

I'm usually really the type to cry during films. There's only a small handful of films that I've ever got teary-eyed over. But... no matter how often I see "Breakfast at Tiffanys", I will bawl every time! I'm a huge cat lover, and the scene near the end where she throws her kitty out of the cab into the pouring rain, then you seen him later in an alley soaking wet shortly after... oh boy. I'm into the kleenex!

* * * "On Borrowed Time" spoiler * * *

That's a nice scene, I agree, and Mancini really nailed it with his musical support. But my throat always gets lumpy when I see Lionel Barrymore with the gravely ill Bobs Watson in his lap, approaching Mr. Brink to admit defeat in "On Borrowed Time." Anything having to do with a child's hardship tears me up.

Message was edited by:

LuckyDan

It's certainly not a classic yet, but "Whale Rider". Happy tears at the end, but Paikea's speech earlier about her grandfather is absolutely heart-rending. So much so that I actually cried when someone was watching it in another room.

On the Waterfront, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, An Affair to Remember, Carousel, The King and I, How Green Was My Valley...

For me ,"The Most tearful film endings-How Green Was My Valley,The Last Hurrah,and the Milestone directed version of Of Mice and Men.

"Days of Wine and Roses", Jack Lemmon looking out the window at Lee Remick crossing the street with the bar sign flicking on and off. I have only seen that movie twice and have vowed to never watch it again, that's how powerful the whole film is for me.

I'm not the type that cries, but "Indochine" is a compelling epic with a tragic end.

Does anyone remember "Miracle in the Rain" with Jane Wyman and Van Johnson?

I first saw it as a young girl, and even now, just thinking of the ending can bring tears to my eyes.

I remember that movie! I especially liked the performance of Eileen Heckert as Jane Wyman's friend. A good rainy day, two hankie flick.

First of all, I have to say, I LOVE YOUR NAME!!!! Susan Lenox! Garbo! Divina! (sorry, mysasha915, I meant to reply to Susan on this).

Now, mysasha915, back to the question. What do I think is the most tearful film ending? Hard to pick just one! Anytime anyone dies, Camille (Garbo)/Lady of the Tropics (Lamarr)/ Wuthering Heights (Oberon), or anytime someone rises above themselves, Stella Dallas (Stanwyck), or anytime lovers are reunited, Breakfast at Tiffany's (Hepburn, Cat and Paul, Baby!)/Random Harvest (Garson and Colman), or anytime a child is redeemed, David Copperfield (Bartholomew), or an animal is triumphant, Lassie Come Home, (What was her name, again?), and the MUSIC! Oh, my Gosh, the music! Bette Davis in The Sisters, Dark Victory, and Now Voyager! Countless images!

I am a sucker for the Human Element. We all suffer, and we all die. Film helps us over and through many of life's difficulties. And, for that reason I cry. That's what they wanted, that is why I watch, and I am happy to oblige!

east of eden does it the best for sure!

splendor in the grass

imitation of life

madame x

the notebook

stepmom

romeo and juliet

meet joe black

there's that one movie where they meet at that diner by the train station and that's where they leave each other because they can't be together, i can't ever remember it!

Okay so how come nobody has my favorite cry-to-movies (except Goodbye Mr Chips- that is a definately a two tissue box movie). I didn't go back to the very beginning of the thread but 4 pages back and not a one of them on the thread.

Tsk, tsk.

I cry to :

E.T.

To Sir With Love

Three Faces of Eve

Citizen Kane (Rosebud)

Conagher

Message was edited by:

Cacie

I'm betting it is Brief Encounter with Mr. Howard and Miss Johnson. There was a television version of this from the mid-1970's starring Richard Burton and Sophia Loren. I can't imagine it. The beauty of the original is that it's about ordinary people. Sophia Loren is never ordinary. Her character might be in ordinary circumstances; but she is always extraordinary. I can't envision La Loren being the referee in the decision between the circus or the pantomime.

And now I have an embarrassing confession: I once cried during the opening credits of Brief Encounter because I knew what was going to happen. As soon as the Rachmaninoff Second Piano Concerto chimed in, I'd lost it. Backpedalling: I think I had the flu; maybe I was feverish.

I owned very few VHS tapes of movies. But when I first bought a DVD player, there were a few "musts" that I had to have. Brief Encounter was one of them. (Others included The Red Shoes, The Horse's Mouth, selected Fellini's, Since You Went Away, Le Notte Bianchi, and the still elusive Matter of Life and Death and Yolanda and the Thief.)

Mine would be Romeo and Juliet..Norma Shearer and Leslie Howard,

Smilen' Thoug..Norma Shearer and Fredrick March Leslie Howard..

I actually have two which come to mind; "Wuthering Heights" when both Heathecliff and Cathy are walking through the moors and the heather she loved so much. What was poignant was that she was dressed all scraggly like when they were kids, in this scene I think they are kids. My second choice for now is "The Way We Were" when Katie sees Hubbell after what is imagined to be many yrs. and she runs her hand through his hair, AH! The look in his eyes just melts me every time and the tears in her eyes brings tears to mine. The fact that she doesn't have her hair ironed is kind of simbolic to her character living true to herself.Two impossible love stories.

I love those two movies! Ha! Smilin' Through is one of Norma's most poignant films. And, nobody brings up Romeo and Juliet. Personally, I thought is was a masterpiece of the time. Howard, Shearer, Barrymore, et al. Just a wonderful production!

Penny Serenade makes me cry buckets. It's one of those movies that every time I see it I tell myself I'm not going to cry, but do. Field of Dreams makes me cry because I would love to have 5 minutes with my dad again, what a gift to get a do over. Bambi was traumatic when I first saw it. I remember everyone cried in the theater. I think that was the first time I saw my dad cry.

My husband hasn't seen Old Yeller since he was a kid because he just can't stand knowing a dog is going to die.

My youngest son can't make it through The Yearling without crying.

Of Mice and Men(Milestone),How Green Was My Valley,The Long Voyage Home,The Last Hurrah,and The Searchers.Every time I see ANY of these films I tear up,and I've seen each film MORE than 20x,more likely 40x.

The ending of Waterworld with Kevin Costner when I realized I spent $8.50 to watch that garbage!

LOL!

I say that I never watch modern movies-there are a few miniscule exceptions,and "Immortal Beloved" ,about Beethoven,is one. I cry everytime that I see the heartbreaking ending of that movie. It's a "what if" kind of ending,based on a bit of historical fact-it could've been true,but nobody really knows,I gather. Because it's not a really old movie,I won't spoil it for those who may ever wish to see it,but if you do,you'll see what I mean. Nothing's sadder than a lifetime of unhappiness caused by crossed wires. But oh that glorious music!

Lassie Come Home (1943)

Roddy McDowall

Elizabeth Taylor

Elsa Lanchester

still tears me up.